The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #16
qapla
On the road to being a farker

I use chunks also. With my setup the fuel goes in a bowl not a basket. I put in some charcoal then some wood chunks then more charcoal on top.

My setup uses an electric hot plate under the fuel bowl. The chunks just smolder with blue smoke once the charcoal is up and running.

When it is time for more fuel, I add charcoal but not additional wood chunks. By the time I may need more fuel, the smoke has already been absorbed into the meat ... no need for more.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #17
pinkelephant
Full Fledged Farker

chips are for gassers. buy chunks. dont soak

Old 11-28-2011, 10:09 PM   #18
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

no need for me to chime in. they covered it

Old 11-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #19
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Like others have said, I do not soak my wood. And, in 20-plus years of trying different liquids in my water bowl, I have NEVER tasted any difference in the meat.

By all means do it, and tell your friends that it is your secret to good BBQ. It will impress them, and you can have a good laugh at their expense. That is honestly part of the fun of making good Que -- making people who can't cook anything beyond toast think you have a secret that they are one of the few people on earth that know about.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #20
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

On tasting, it's all in the cooker, meaning design. Not selling, just saying. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote