oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Will my turkey be okay for smoking on Thursday?

Okay, I'm sorry for yet another turkey question, but I'm a little concerned...

I thought I was really on the ball, but I may have a problem. I took my 12 pound turkey out of the freezer on Sunday morning and it's been in the fridge since then. I was planning to put it in brine on Wednesday morning. (Using Patio Daddio's method - brining in an ice bath outside of the fridge.) I was gonna smoke it Thursday morning.

I just checked the turkey (Tuesday night), and that sucker still feels MIGHTY hard and cold. I am wondering if it will be thawed enough to brine by Wednesday morning. But, more importantly, I'm worried that it won't be thawed enough to go on the smoker Thursday morning.

(Just FYI - my fridge is right at 40 degrees.)

So, brethren, what are your thoughts?
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

You could leave it in the sink filled with water and leave water running to keep water cold, let run off water drain to other basin if youurs is set up that wat. I think the water temp is supposed to be 69 degrees or colder. Someone might correct me if I'm wrong.
HBMTN is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

I would immediately put it in cold water bath in fridge. Change water frequently.

With 4 hour water changes you should get it thawed in time.

Back to back winner of the BBQ Brethren Throwdown with a pig leg and something funky
CBBQA & KCBS member: Sir Porkalot BBQ Team
NC & NorCal (Yes I stay confused)
BLUE Thermapen
Visit my website: http://www.sirporkalot.com
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree with all of the above posts.

I would add that you shouldn't sweat it. If it's not thawing, start brining it tonight. No reason why you can't give it an extra day/night in the brine as long as the brine is kept cool with fresh ice as needed.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
Soulman1282
On the road to being a farker

I"m with Boshizzle. Just put it in the brine now and leave it somewhere cool, like a garage or closet. When I've got something in a brine I don't worry so much about keeping it refrigerator cold, just pretty cool. A brine is pretty salty and bacteria hates salt.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Put the Turkey in a cooler filled with water. Make sure the bird is underwater (use a weight if you have to.) Keep an eye on it. This will only take a few hours if it's close to being thawed. Voila! Problem solved. You will have plenty of time to brine it.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
Steve W
Knows what a fatty is.

Use less ice in your brine. The ice inside the turkey will handle the rest.

Alternatively, use NO ice. Check the temperature of the brine every hour and add the ice when you notice it rising. Move the turkey around every little bit to move the water around and make the temp reading more accurate. I wouldn't do this unless you only have a small amount of ice in the cavity while the outside of the bird is soft-ish.

Note that I live where it's sub-40F this time of year and/or I put my brine container in the fridge. If you live down south where it's warm, I'm not sure that my second suggestion is a good idea.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2011, 12:27 AM   #8
Soulman1282
On the road to being a farker

all this adding ice is unnecessary. Check this: i had my frozen bird in the brine bucket, sitting out all night last night, put it in the fridge this morning when i left, and then got it back out like 3 or 4 hours ago. just temped it and it's at like 37 degrees, which is fridge temp and not in the danger zone(44-144). So the ice just isn't needed and it's only going to dilute your brine. Relax, it's salty and cold, you're not gonna kill anybody.

Last edited by Soulman1282; 11-23-2011 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: misspelled
Soulman1282 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2011, 04:30 AM   #9
DaChief
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
I would immediately put it in cold water bath in fridge. Change water frequently.

With 4 hour water changes you should get it thawed in time.
Had to do this yesterday with my two turkeys. Both in brine now.

BGE Large
WSM
Weber One-Touch Gold
Weber Go-Anywhere
Turkey Fryer

"Go on! Shoot me again! I enjoy it! I love the smell of burnt feathers and gunpowder and cordite!"
-- Daffy Duck
DaChief is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks, guys! You're the best!
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote