The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default GrillGrates vs Mangrates

Mangrates are now on sale as noted in another thread.

Both grates seem to be of roughly the same design, size, and price.

Only major difference, unless I missed something, is cast iron vs aluminum.

Anyone use both or anyone have pros and cons for either?????

I am thinking about 3 or 4 of either to use in my Traeger.

Thanks,

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

Haven't tried GrillGrates but I have been eyeballing them pretty seriously. I'm definitely hard core Cast Iron so I'm not really sure myself. This post should be an interesting read. Good Question.
Char-Griller Super Pro w/Firebox (2)
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
stuworld
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

What is the benefit of using these as opposed to just getting a cast iron grid?

Unread 11-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuworld View Post
What is the benefit of using these as opposed to just getting a cast iron grid?
Good question.
I put a cast iron grid from my old gasser on the Traeger and cranked it to 450 deg.
Got grill marks, but the grease just dripped down through.

Apparently, these grates hold the drippings close to the meat and help with flavor and all of that.

And, I gave away the grates when the dead gasser went to the curb to be picked up by a new owner

Just my understanding of the claims----I am still learning.

TIM

Unread 11-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
stuworld
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Interesting, I would think the drippings would steam the meat in addition to the searing. Of course the trade off is reduced flare ups so sounds like a good trade off.

Unread 11-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
PrinceofQ
On the road to being a farker

In my opinion I would go with the GrillGrate. I just did a review on both. They are both good grates, but I feel you get more for your money with the GrillGrates. I also like how they interlock together. The pack of 3 GrillGrates covers 90% of my Weber Performer. They made some awesome grill marks too! Here are a couple pics from my review on my parents Weber gas grill.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321837327.063193.jpg (34.3 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321837379.854674.jpg (27.1 KB, 364 views)

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
PrinceofQ

Here are some pics from my ManGrate review. As you can see from the pics you get more grate coverage for the money by going with the GrillGrates.

3 pack of GrillGrates cost me $64.44 total with the 10% off sale. The ManGates cost me $85.99 total for 2 grates and the brush. So you are talking $24 cheaper and an extra grate over the ManGrate.

You can find the link to the sale page on GrillGrates Facebook page and they also tweeted it on November 16th and 17th on twitter :)

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by PrinceofQ; 11-20-2011 at 07:46 PM..
PrinceofQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
LuvDbbq

Personally, I stay away from all aluminum, someone needs to make the same thing in Iron or Stainless.
"
If you don't already know, aluminum poses a very serious danger to the human body, and in small amounts. Here's a little background about aluminum.
Aluminum does not occur as a free metal but is found in minerals and ores. In its natural state it doesn't pose a threat. It's plentiful, (most abundant metal in the earth), and it is cheaply extracted for use in many things. It is resistant to corrosion and very light weight.
For these reasons, aluminum is used widely, in places you may not even thing to look for it. We wear it, cook in it, with it, eat and drink it and there is no use for aluminum in the human body. It is dangerous, toxic, to the human body and we continue to use it. Broad uses of aluminum in consumer products include:"
Old #4 kamado, 32" SS Gas Grill with ceramic plates, Infrared rotisserie and side burner. Best cleaning towels I've found- [URL]http://davidwilliams.norwex.biz/?p=start&lang=EN[/URL]
LuvDbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #9
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I thought about the cast iron ManGrates, but went with the Grill Grates instead.

My reason was that all the cast iron grates that I have require a lot of upkeep. They all rust -no matter how much seasoning and cleaning they get, and the grates themselves flake off bits of iron and degrade. Now then, these are Weber and CharGriller grates that I'm dealing with and not the MG's, and a lot of the problem is the rainy weather here in the PNW, so I usually remove them in the Winter, but its what led me to buy the Grill Grates. A couple other farkers around here have them and Bingo here sells them at comps.

Nice review of both grates from PoQ!

I use mine on the Genesis and plan to try them out on Ty's Klose slide out CharGrill (that thing is the worst for temp control!)

I bought 5 of the interlocking Grill Grates and have not been disappointed.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #10
weadjust
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a cast iron griddle around here somewhere that I don't use. I'm thinking about drilling some holes in between the raised areas of the griddle creating the cheap mans grill grate. The griddle is about 11" x 20" so the fit would be nice on my brinkman gas grill that has uneven heating and frequent flame ups. I do most of my grilling on charcoal but use the gas grill for quick week night meals.

I'm currently using expanded metal since the old grates rusted out. The only reason I keep the grill around is the burners are cast iron and won't die. I really want a Weber but it's not in the budget right now. Picture of similar griddle. Is it worth my effort and maybe killing a good griddle?

weadjust is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-21-2011, 02:19 AM   #11
R2Egg2Q
is One Chatty Farker

One thing I like about the Grill Grates is how well they do with delicate meats. The grates get a little cooking spray on them and I have no issues with fish filets sticking and the funny looking spatula works great for getting under the filets for lifting and flipping. Here's some tilipia filets cooked on grill grates:

Here's some drumsticks that were marinated and cooked with the grill grates directly over the coals and no problems with flareups:

I've recently started using them as a baffle in my UDS and they work for that as well (photo taken by BigButzBBQ):

Speaking of BigButzBBQ, here's a link to a review he did on the Man Grates.

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Mini BGE, Superior Smokers SS-Two, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Imperial Kamado, UDS (Darth Maul), Thai Charcoal cooker, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; Stoker, Rocket Red Backlit Thermapen, custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-21-2011, 03:23 AM   #12
PrinceofQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
I thought about the cast iron ManGrates, but went with the Grill Grates instead.

My reason was that all the cast iron grates that I have require a lot of upkeep. They all rust -no matter how much seasoning and cleaning they get, and the grates themselves flake off bits of iron and degrade. Now then, these are Weber and CharGriller grates that I'm dealing with and not the MG's, and a lot of the problem is the rainy weather here in the PNW, so I usually remove them in the Winter, but its what led me to buy the Grill Grates. A couple other farkers around here have them and Bingo here sells them at comps.

Nice review of both grates from PoQ!

I use mine on the Genesis and plan to try them out on Ty's Klose slide out CharGrill (that thing is the worst for temp control!)

I bought 5 of the interlocking Grill Grates and have not been disappointed.
Thanks swamprb!

I left the ManGrates on my parents grill not even a week and they started showing signs of rust. I was able to get the rust off with no problems.

I am loving the GrillGrates! Here are the links to my reviews on both grates....

http://www.bbqsaucereviews.com/jay-p...he-grillgrate/

http://www.bbqsaucereviews.com/jay-p...-the-mangrate/

Like I said before you get more grill grate coverage for the money with the GrillGrates!

Unread 11-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #13
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Any more thoughts?

I am fixin' to order a set of 3 GrillGrates.
Merry Christmas from the Kapn to the Kapn

TIM

Unread 11-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #14
PrinceofQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
Any more thoughts?

TIM
You are making the best choice by buying the GrillGrates!

Unread 11-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #15
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
Any more thoughts?

TIM
You are gonna be happier than Ralphie and his Red Ryder BB Gun - just don't shoot yer eye out!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote