The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
wbuffness
Got Wood.

Default 24x60 offset question

Do you use a water pan? I am going to fire up my smoker for the first time this weekend and was just wondering. It has a 24" Cube firebox 1/4" thick steel and 24"x60" cooking chamber 1/4" thick. Chimney on far side away from firebox.
1. Do you use a water pan?
2. Where do you put it?
3. Is there certain times with the amount of meat you are cooking or when trying to hit certain higher or lower cooking temperatures that you will use one or not use one?
wbuffness is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #2
Dinkle
Knows what a fatty is.

buy a stainless steel bowl from Walmart or somewhere fill it with water, put it as close to the firebox as you can directly on the cooking grate.
Dinkle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
Dinkle
Knows what a fatty is.

Its not a must have but does add moisture for longer cooks, for ribs, chickens and sausage you don't really need one. Fyi if this your first cook on the big offset I'll give you advise...put 4 to 6 pounds of charcoal in the fire box get them red hot then build a huge Fire placing the logs in # form. Once you get up 50 degrees or so past your target temp let the fire burn down a Lil then add 1 or so logs at a time to keep a steady temp. They need a log every 15 to 30 minutes. Have fun.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #4
wbuffness
Got Wood.

Thanks a bunch all. Do I have to worry about creosote forming in smoker when starting out with a big fire?
wbuffness is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2017, 06:18 PM   #5
BillN
Babbling Farker

Water pan is up to you and not necessary. Occasionally I use one, usually a disposable aluminum pan. Sometime I put the pan on the bottom shelf near the FB sometimes I put it on my tuning plates next to the FB just depends what I am cooking how much room I need. Occasionally I use the water pan to collect grease.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #6
Dinkle
Knows what a fatty is.

Creosote won't form as long as the fire burns clean. The fire needs lots of air to stay large enough to heat a cooker that big. I keep my air way all the way open and the door cracked open about 3 inches. It burns more wood but it's easier and cleaner

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-10-2017, 06:57 PM   #7
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

I personally dont know of anyone using a water pan in one of our cookers.... I cook brisket 300 plus... perfect every time..... maybe some more people will chime in..... water in a reverse flow smoker can act as a heat sink... not saying it's wrong or can't be be done... personally I just don't see it as being necessary.... I personally go at least 45 minutes before addding a split.... but to each his own

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2017, 06:58 PM   #8
dwfisk
Babbling Farker

NO water pan!
Size your fire to the temps you want - will take some experimentation. My RF is about the same size and I run exhaust wide open and maybe adjust the intake to control temps but for me it really comes down to the size of the fire. If you find yourself running to hot, just cut you splits down so you don't have as much fire; if you are having trouble getting hot enough add a little to have a more aggressive fire. Just experiment and play with it; every cooker is a little different and you will figure this one out.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:51 AM   #9
Doog
is One Chatty Farker

Large stickburners will collect condensation and sweat the steel without a waterpan.
Just my opinion...

Old 04-11-2017, 06:59 AM   #10
Dinkle
Knows what a fatty is.

The air is alot drier in Wisconsin than alabama and florida he's gonna need some moisture in the cook chamber for longer cooks.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:19 AM   #11
Shagdog
Babbling Farker

There is no need for water in an offset. Ever. Unless you're steam cleaning the inside.

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2017, 07:23 AM   #12
Shagdog
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkle View Post
The air is alot drier in Wisconsin than alabama and florida he's gonna need some moisture in the cook chamber for longer cooks.

I live 10 minutes from Wisconsin, and no he doesn't. I tried it once, it just made a mess(condensate dripping from stack and at door seal, etc) and there was no improvement in the end product. Steam can't/won't penetrate meat fibers anyway, so all it can really influence is the quality of your bark, which on a good offset is already amazing. I have cooked a lot of food on my Shirley and no one has ever said it was dry.

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2017, 07:52 AM   #13
Dinkle
Knows what a fatty is.

He's asking about water pans not filling up the smoker

Old 04-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #14
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Maybe oif marine will chime in also.... he lives in Wisconsin as do some other shirley fab owners.... none that I know of are using water pans.... maybe with a direct flow offset it would be benifitial.... I'm not sure.... the baffle plate gives off radiate heat if you set pans in there with water there will be a heat sink in that area in my opinion.... I'm not in any way... shape... form.. or fashion trying to start an argument or discredit someone else's opinion.... I just don't think it's necessary.... will it be the end of the world if you want to try it..( the pans) No....

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #15
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Water pans help even out temps/tame hotspots - which most reverse flows have pretty even temps so don't need it - and keep drippings from burning. They do Not help the cook or the meat IMHO. I run waterpans in all my smokers but I don't own a reverse flow.
Here I used 2 cookie sheets and a foil pan on firebox side of a Ok Joe Longhorn to get temps within 15* end to end.......

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 04-11-2017 at 10:04 AM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote