The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 11-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
SmokeEatrsBBQ
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default New to the competition bbq

I am new this competition bbq. Is apperance that big of a aspect of the judging? Because all I hear is appearence, apperence, apperence.
SmokeEatrsBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Appearance is no more than its scoring: it's worth half as much as tenderness, and tenderness is worth half as much as taste.

A good quality meat product, with great taste and tenderness, is always first and foremost. The prettiest food won't win if it's tough and tasteless.

That being said, people discuss appearance a lot on the Internet because it's the one thing that can be conveyed through a photo. Nobody here can accurately assess taste or tenderness, but we can all look at and comment on layout, shine, garnish etc.

Appearance points are absolutely valuable, you can't leave points on the table because of sloppy presentation that detracts from the meat -- but when it's all said and done, the larger emphasis in scoring is on the meat's attributes, not the appearance. Doesn't keep us from posting pictures, though

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

180 Brisket -- Sam's Club, Salt Lake City, UT 2014
180 Chicken -- Sam's Club National, Bentonville, AR 2013

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Each sanctioning body regards it differently. However, most use a score weighting system where appearance will be weighted to only a fraction of the weighting for tenderness and taste.

You'll see a lot here on appearance, but that's because we can show appearance via. pictures. It's tough to show taste. :-)

Unread 11-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

The first time you are knocked out of first place by .0001 points and you had an 8 in appearance you know how important it is

But, if your taste and tenderness scores are low, appearance doesn't matter. Work on consistently scoring well in those, and then fine tune the appearance.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
The first time you are knocked out of first place by .0001 points and you had an 8 in appearance you know how important it is
I had 3rd place ribs at a comp this year. 2nd place contender and I both were 0.0002 pts behind first place. Appearance can and does matter.
Superior SS-3 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
2 Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburners
Weber 22.5" WSM
Weber 26.75" OTG
Weber Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Appearance is the 5th catagory. I've watched judging before, and I could automatically tell who the pro was and who were the fellows that didn't know how the game was played. Therefore, I had a pre-conceived notion on which ones would taste better than the others.. good thing i don't judge.. we all eat with our eyes first. I've lost 2 gc's by a fraction of a point. Every little damn detail must be accounted for.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA4Life View Post
I had 3rd place ribs at a comp this year. 2nd place contender and I both were 0.0002 pts behind first place. Appearance can and does matter.
Yep. A couple of years ago there was a three way tie for first place in Pork. We lost the first tie breaker but won the next, so we ended up with 2nd. One additional appearance point would have meant first place. It happens at almost every comp.

But, again, you can get straight 9's in appearance but if your taste and tenderness suck you won't do well.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend

Last edited by Ron_L; 11-16-2011 at 04:22 PM..

Unread 11-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Yep. A couple of years ago there was a three way tie for first place in Pork. We lost the first tie breaker but won the next, so we ended up with 2nd. One additional appearance point would have meant first place. It happens at almost every comp.

But, again, you can get straight 9's in appearance but if your taste and tenderness suck you'll do well.
I think this is a typo, huh, Ron? If taste and tenderness sucking means "you'll do well" - I'd have G.C.ed at the last comp!!!

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post
I think this is a typo, huh, Ron? If taste and tenderness sucking means "you'll do well" - I'd have G.C.ed at the last comp!!!
Me too :) I'll fix it.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

Remembering a friend

Unread 11-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
Butcher BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Give me a call sometime and we can chat. heck I'm just 30 minutes up the road from you.

"Trust Your Butcher"
Often Imitated, but never Duplicated
Butcher BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
The Virginian
On the road to being a farker

My feeling is that appearence sets the table for taste and tenderness scores. Its the first impression the judges get. If it looks bad, they may give you an 8 rather than a 9 on taste, for example. Not on purpose, just because the appearence has started a whole series of unconscious judgements that affect how they score the rest. Pretty can't overcome poor taste, but ugly can get in the way of good taste. That's why I spend so much time on appearence anyway.

That said, never put an inferior piece of meat in the box just because it looks better.

Brett
The Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
Appearance is no more than its scoring: it's worth half as much as tenderness, and tenderness is worth half as much as taste.

A good quality meat product, with great taste and tenderness, is always first and foremost. The prettiest food won't win if it's tough and tasteless.

That being said, people discuss appearance a lot on the Internet because it's the one thing that can be conveyed through a photo. Nobody here can accurately assess taste or tenderness, but we can all look at and comment on layout, shine, garnish etc.

Appearance points are absolutely valuable, you can't leave points on the table because of sloppy presentation that detracts from the meat -- but when it's all said and done, the larger emphasis in scoring is on the meat's attributes, not the appearance. Doesn't keep us from posting pictures, though
please, do post some pictures.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-18-2011, 06:01 AM   #13
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

But, if your taste and tenderness scores are low, appearance doesn't matter. Work on consistently scoring well in those, and then fine tune the appearance.
Perfectly said. Appearance gets the lowest score weighting (KCBS) but you can ignore it at your own peril. To get a walk you've got to excell at all 3 criteria.
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote