Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Default Pre-cooking meats at comp.

Is there any rule that says you can't cook your , say brisket on Friday of a comp, after it's inspected, then slice, refrigerate and warm up on turnin day? Or any of the meats for that matter . I know the pork would have to be left whole... any issues that I'm missing?
patkline9999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2011, 02:28 AM   #2
is Blowin Smoke!

As long as you don't violate any of the rules in the process (cooking offsite, parting pork, reheating with illegal heat source, etc) what you are describing is legal under the current ruleset.

I know this has been done (badly) because I've judged an entry or two that were ice chest cold on 90 degree summer days. Guess they forgot the reheating step!
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
is one Smokin' Farker

The pork wouldn't have to be kept whole unless you intended to return it to the cooker to reheat it.
Having said that, I've never had bbq that was as good reheated as it was freshly cooked and I'd think it would be easier to keep it hot than to cool and reheat.
But to answer the question.. nope no rule against it.
4000 sq inch Wood Burner named Brutus - KCSB member/judge# 32129
roksmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Babbling Farker

I agree with the above. FYI, KCBS rule 17G and H addresses the question to some degree.

g. After cooking, all meat
Must be held at 140° F or above

Cooked meat shall be cooled as follows:
Within 2 hours from 140° F to 70° F and
Within 4 hours from 70° F to 41° F or less
h. Meat that is cooked, properly cooled, and later
reheated for hot holding and serving shall be reheated
so that all parts of the food reach a temperature of at

least 165° F for a minimum of 15 seconds.

That said, I have also had ice cold (as opposed to ambient heat temp) meat judging a comp where the temp was 85+, and in my opinion, it violated the rule and should have been DQ'd. Guess it's good I don't really judge much anymore

2 Skinny Cooks Competition Team
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
is one Smokin' Farker

There is a team from MI that cooks cow & butts on Friday.
Fowl Butt BBQ..Chitload of smokers, Wife, dog. "I'm simple n I can prove it"
INmitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
Take a breath!

I've done that with brisket thinking it's always better the 2nd day at home so why not at a comp. My brisket scores dove when I started doing them that way. Never again.
AZScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
That said, I have also had ice cold (as opposed to ambient heat temp) meat judging a comp where the temp was 85+, and in my opinion, it violated the rule and should have been DQ'd. Guess it's good I don't really judge much anymore

The rule doesn't say that it has to be reheated But, if it is, it must be reheated to 165.
"Ron Rico, Boss. You can call me Captain Ron..."

2018 Chicago Area Mid-Winter Lunch!!!

The Naked Fatty!

4x Hunsaker Cans/Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
is one Smokin' Farker

I have heard of teams cooking brisket, wrapping in plastic and chilling on ice and then later slicing and reheating. I would never do it, but I know it is done.
2011 CBBQA Rookie ToY - 6th Overall, 2012 American Royal Invitational - Huminie's Hogalicious BBQ
huminie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
is Blowin Smoke!

I encourage everyone to serve reheated leftovers, especially in contests where I am cooking

Seriously, stuff does taste better after it sits, but it also dries it out. Nothing like a brisket just after you slice it for moisture.
Rhode Hog BBQ
"The Most Dangerous Team in BBQ" - Jon Vallone
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->