The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
deadeye531
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default UDS Lid

Im looking for a dome lid for a UDS that I am about to build. I cant find a weber lid anywhere and was wondering where others have found them? Ive looked at yard sales, craigslist, paper everywhere. I just got a drum to use that was given to me and the only parts I need are the lid, and grates which I will buy this week. So far I have $0 in the drum and all fitings, and the charcoal basket.
deadeye531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Wal-mart and Big lots make a knock off Weber unit. I bought 2 last year @ 25.00 ea
and ya get the lid and the grill.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
cpw
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4

Check walmart or Kmart for cheaper 22" Kettles. You can normally buy a whole kettle (with grates and all) for $30-$50. I couldn't find any around here either, so I ended up getting a lid directly from Weber, mainly because the walmart lid wouldn't fit on my drum.
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
Check walmart or Kmart for cheaper 22" Kettles. You can normally buy a whole kettle (with grates and all) for $30-$50. I couldn't find any around here either, so I ended up getting a lid directly from Weber, mainly because the walmart lid wouldn't fit on my drum.
I didn't know or really think that Weber would sell kust a lid for a kettle and I am basically in the same shape. How much do they charge for the lid? I bought a knockoff kettle (floor model) from Lowes the other day for my first build. I'm really thinking I'm going to like it because it is a hinged lid but I also know that it won't last as long as the Weber but I doubt the drum will last that long too so it really doesn't matter.
Char-Griller Super Pro w/Firebox (2)
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
likeadeere
is one Smokin' Farker

at a garbage/recycle dump? You haven't said anything about that. I know it's hit or miss. But I found 2 at my local place once.

Unread 11-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Keep looking at Craigslist.

Here is a free one listed today in your area (Middle Valley). It may be a 22.5, but they don't say.

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/zip/2656321382.html

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle

Last edited by HeSmellsLikeSmoke; 11-14-2011 at 12:20 PM..
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
cpw
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Don View Post
I didn't know or really think that Weber would sell kust a lid for a kettle and I am basically in the same shape. How much do they charge for the lid? I bought a knockoff kettle (floor model) from Lowes the other day for my first build. I'm really thinking I'm going to like it because it is a hinged lid but I also know that it won't last as long as the Weber but I doubt the drum will last that long too so it really doesn't matter.
I want to say somewhere around $60 shipped. You have to order directly from Weber (just call the support line on the website. They are very helpful).
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
Mo-Dave
Babbling Farker

I went to your local recycle to dump some cardboard a couple days ago and they had one of those cheap knock off weber grills so I ask about it and they gave it to me.

But I am thinking why not just use the flat lid that came with the drum for now and keep looking for a weber or knock off lid, it will show up sooner or later.
Dave
Bbq toolbox, formerly Chargrill smoker
My wife has gas, its a Brinkman.
Mo-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
deadeye531
Got Wood.

The one on craigslist was an 18" and its gone. I will look at the other ones too.
deadeye531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

When I built mine I bought two new Weber OTSs and cannibalized the lid,
racks and top kettle lip from them. I figured the $80 was a good investment
for new parts.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #11
chief domestic engineer
Found some matches.

I lucked out and got some weber lids but in doing research for the future I came across the 'knock offs' from sears/kmart. I went to the partsdirect website, found the grill, and armed myself with the part numbers for the lid, vent and handles. There was no way to order parts online (strange) so I called the 800 number and the nice lady told me I could not order the parts by using the part numbers......I had to have the actual model number from an actual grill to be able to order the parts. That being said - if anyone has one of those grills I'd love to have the model number so I can pretend to own the grill. I'm still curious to see how much the parts would cost. Hard to believe I can't order parts with a part number!!
chief domestic engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #12
pinkelephant
Full Fledged Farker

If you tell weber that you dont want the lid for a weber, they wont sell it to you. tell them you want a replacement lid

Unread 11-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #13
pinkelephant
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief domestic engineer View Post
I lucked out and got some weber lids but in doing research for the future I came across the 'knock offs' from sears/kmart. I went to the partsdirect website, found the grill, and armed myself with the part numbers for the lid, vent and handles. There was no way to order parts online (strange) so I called the 800 number and the nice lady told me I could not order the parts by using the part numbers......I had to have the actual model number from an actual grill to be able to order the parts. That being said - if anyone has one of those grills I'd love to have the model number so I can pretend to own the grill. I'm still curious to see how much the parts would cost. Hard to believe I can't order parts with a part number!!
Sears Item# 07116310000 | Model# CPR-2250BC/D
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...4&blockType=G4

Unread 11-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #14
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 3

Both of my UDS's work great with just the flat lid that comes with the drum. No weber lid needed.

That and the generic kettle lid i bought wasn't even close to fitting...

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #15
pinkelephant
Full Fledged Farker

I'm considering a flat lid model. The only time I use the lower racks are for beans