The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
Youngin'
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Whole Hog

I've been reading a whole lot of the threads and noticed som of you have pdf's and such on how to cook certain meats.

Does anyone have a "how to" on whole hog? I'm doing one for he first time in a Caja China and I want to read up on it. The ones I am finding doing a google search aren't as informative as the ones I've seen on here.

Thanks!
Youngin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
2dumb2kwit

Being in the Northeastern corner of N.C., I've been to and involved in more "pig pickin's" than I care to admit, but I have never cooked one on my own. I'm looking forward to reading the answers you get.

Unread 11-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
Booda
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
Being in the Northeastern corner of N.C., I've been to and involved in more "pig pickin's" than I care to admit, but I have never cooked one on my own. I'm looking forward to reading the answers you get.

I'm with you on that one! I have a buddy who cooks whole hog at his restaurant he does 275 for about 12 hours, its eastern style bbq so he then chops it and puts crushed red pepper and salt on it with some of that delicious vinegar sauce!

Unread 11-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
captndan
is One Chatty Farker

I'm not familiar with that cooker. Is it big enough?
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

The Caja China directions are right on the cooker. If you follow them, you should be good, IF you have the right size for the pig you're trying to cook. I seem to remember Clint doing one a while back, will see if I can hunt it down

Edit: - not the link I was looking for, but should be helpful - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...t=smokeindaeye
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
The Caja China directions are right on the cooker. If you follow them, you should be good, IF you have the right size for the pig you're trying to cook. I seem to remember Clint doing one a while back, will see if I can hunt it down

Edit: - not the link I was looking for, but should be helpful - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...t=smokeindaeye
After looking at the thread I can see I might have to cut the head off also. I'm thinking it's not going to fit entirely inside the box.

I purchasing a Maverick E-732 for this cook out so I can cook all the other dishes. Yuca, maduros, rice & black beans and so on. It should be a long day but I'm up for the task.
Youngin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I cook a lot of whole hogs but don't know anything about the cooker you are using. Sorry

Unread 11-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post
I cook a lot of whole hogs but don't know anything about the cooker you are using. Sorry
Same here... I always use my Lang.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngin' View Post
After looking at the thread I can see I might have to cut the head off also. I'm thinking it's not going to fit entirely inside the box.

I purchasing a Maverick E-732 for this cook out so I can cook all the other dishes. Yuca, maduros, rice & black beans and so on. It should be a long day but I'm up for the task.
Not sure how large a pig you're doing, but you might be able to remove the head, but place it in between the back legs to cook? Not pretty, but could work. You also might have to remove the feet, or just make head cheese with the head and feet!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

If you want to post your questions/concerns I will try to answer them for you. Might want to include the size of the hog you want to cook.
HBMTN is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #11
Cook
is One Chatty Farker

The Caja is supposed to have cooking instructions printed right on the outside of the box. I would follow that...but judging by the typical results I see posted on the interweb I might suggest not using quite as much charcoal as they recommend. Way too many pigs come out of those boxes with black patches of skin. I've seen a few examples of what I consider perfect brown skin...so it is possible.

Unread 11-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
bbqchicken
is One Chatty Farker

This farker did a hog in the box

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...Caja+China+hog

Unread 11-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #13
hav
is one Smokin' Farker

Here is mine...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=66570
14" Table Top Kettle Grill; Turkey Fryer; Rapid-Fire-Red Thermapen!; Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE!
hav is offline   Reply With Quote