oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  


Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
bnew17
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 07-08-11
Location: Ga
Default Pastrami question

Im going to be trying my hand on Pastrami for the first time for Thanksgiving. I have been doing alot of reading on the subject and have most of it down but im still a little unsure on the brine part and have some other questions i hope the more experienced cookers in here dont mind answering.

1. Is there a "go to" brine that most people like to use?


2. Does the water in the brine need to be changed every so often?

3. HOw long do i brine the brisket?

4. What do i use to get the red look to the meat? Ive read of a product called "Saltpeter" but i have never heard or seen it before. My only options of getting spices are locally at Kroger/publix.

Thanks
bnew17 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

 
woodbutcher1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-04-10
Location: Shelby Twp. Macomb Co. SE Michigan
Default

Rather then brineing a whole brisket for 3 weeks just go and get Corned Beef
and place in a non metallic container covered with enough cold water to pull out some of the salt.
__________________
leonard
-----------------
Real Men Don't Drink Milk-----They Eat The Cow.

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
woodbutcher1 is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 11-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Ron_L
Moderator
 
Ron_L's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-09-04
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
Default

I've used the recipe in this link a few times and it come out great! It's much better than using a store bought corned beef brisket.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10362
__________________
"Ron Rico, Boss. You can call me Captain Ron..."

The Naked Fatty!


Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!
 
RevZiLLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-02-07
Location: Richmond, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbutcher1 View Post
Rather then brineing a whole brisket for 3 weeks just go and get Corned Beef
and place in a non metallic container covered with enough cold water to pull out some of the salt.
This is easy and good. Soak, dry, coat with cracked pepper and smoke over hickory until internal reaches 170 or so.

I just don't have the refrigerator space to brine for weeks
__________________

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
buccaneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-23-10
Location: Australia, West Coast
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnew17 View Post
Im going to be trying my hand on Pastrami for the first time for Thanksgiving. I have been doing alot of reading on the subject and have most of it down but im still a little unsure on the brine part and have some other questions i hope the more experienced cookers in here dont mind answering.

1. Is there a "go to" brine that most people like to use?


2. Does the water in the brine need to be changed every so often?

3. HOw long do i brine the brisket?

4. What do i use to get the red look to the meat? Ive read of a product called "Saltpeter" but i have never heard or seen it before. My only options of getting spices are locally at Kroger/publix.

Thanks
Brine recipe
3/4 cup salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp sodium nitrate
5 cloves garlic
4 Tbs pickling spice
per 5 lb meat
Place all in non reactive pot and refrigerate for 2 days but if it is a thick piece of meat, 3 days
Dont chnage the brine, just leave it.Rinse carefully , dry for a day in the fridge and coat with equal parts pepper and toasted ground coriander seeds before smoking.
Bucc
__________________
I'll judge you by your actions, not what others say about you, I'll judge them by that.
buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
bnew17
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 07-08-11
Location: Ga
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
Brine recipe
3/4 cup salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp sodium nitrate
5 cloves garlic
4 Tbs pickling spice
per 5 lb meat
Place all in non reactive pot and refrigerate for 2 days but if it is a thick piece of meat, 3 days
Dont chnage the brine, just leave it.Rinse carefully , dry for a day in the fridge and coat with equal parts pepper and toasted ground coriander seeds before smoking.
Bucc
Thank you for the info. On your brine recipe is the sodium nitrate the curing agent? Is this tender quick?
bnew17 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
bluetang's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-06-10
Location: Stuart, Fl
Default

I'm sure bucc will chime in when he gets back online, but in the meantime: I think that he is referring to cure #1, or prague powder, which is 6.25% nitrite, and the rest of it salt, pink in color. There is also a cure #2, also pink which has both sodium nitrite as well as sodium nitrate, in very small quantities, mixed in salt.
Here is what I do:
2Tablespoons blk peppercorns
1 Tablespoon dried thyme
6 bay leaves
2 teaspoons whole cloves
1 Tablespoon garlic juice
2 teaspoons whole juniper berries
155 grams Kosher salt
108 grams dextrose
175 grams cure #1
1 gallon water
Bring water to boil, add and dissolve salt and dextrose
Remove from heat, add the rest of the spices(not the cure yet) and steep until cool, then chill to 38 F
Add cure
Pump meat to 15% of green weight
Submerge meat in remaining brine for 3-5 days @ 38F
Rinse before smoking.
Add coatings of your choice
__________________
Homegrown 120 Gallon Reverse Flow, Homey, the Homegrown frier, 1UDS, 3 Stack Pro Q Excel 20, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM, 150lb Capacity Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Bicycle Fast Polder Thermo, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

Avatar by landarc, thanky!

Last edited by bluetang; 11-13-2011 at 02:14 PM..
bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 11-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
buccaneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-23-10
Location: Australia, West Coast
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnew17 View Post
Thank you for the info. On your brine recipe is the sodium nitrate the curing agent? Is this tender quick?
Apologies, a stupid typo by me.
Should be sodium Nitrite.
Bluetang to the rescue.
I have no idea what tender quick is but assume it is a brand name of a similar product. You buy the 'curing salt' from butcher supply shops and it is a product as Bluetang describes. It is overkill on preventing botulism but does give the meat an appetising red coloring.
Sounds like #1 to me.
Once again, I apologise for the dumb error.
__________________
I'll judge you by your actions, not what others say about you, I'll judge them by that.
buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 11-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

 
Join Date: 10-19-09
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Default

Yes, that's what Buccs meant. Cure #1. It's not generally called that in Australia.
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about brining for pastrami worknomore Q-talk 0 08-14-2011 04:23 PM
And now...pastrami landarc Q-talk 45 03-14-2011 05:27 PM
Pastrami Question ramrod25 Q-talk 12 02-10-2011 07:21 AM
Pastrami Crazy Harry Q-talk 10 10-03-2010 07:28 PM
Pastrami preference - question Cracklin Jeorge Q-talk 27 01-17-2010 09:30 AM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts