拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
claypots
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Dry Aged Beef ...at home?

I've heard that you can dry age your own steaks at home. Are there any forum members out there that have experimented with that? What kind of results have you gotten?

Old 11-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Here are a couple threads that discuss the topic.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...highlight=aged

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...highlight=aged

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
el_matt
is One Chatty Farker

Several members have had good luck. I did a tri-tip, and didn't think it was worth the trouble.

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
kennedyma
On the road to being a farker

I do it all the time with T-bones. They come out amazing. I use Alton Browns method.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
kennedyma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
hnd
Full Fledged Farker

here is a tutorial i did like 3 or 4 years ago.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Dry Aging Beef.doc (1.74 MB, 25 views)
hnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I did a prime rib a couple years ago. I just set it on a wooden cutting board in the garage fridge (set to 34 or 36 degrees - can't remember) for 3 weeks. Took it back to the butcher, he trimmed it up, I hit it with kosher salt and cracked black pepper, seared it (I'd probably do this at the end now) cooked it at 200 to an IT of 125 or 130 and it was farking awesome.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
caseydog

I have not done a long dry aging, since I don't have a dedicated refrigerator for the job. But, I regularly put a good steak in the fridge for 24 hours on a rack and let t it dry out before cooking it quickly on a very hot grill. I think it makes a difference. I get a better crust on my medium-rare steak. The steak loses a whole ounce in weight in that time, and all that weigh is water.

I wish I had a dedicated refrigerator to do a longer dry aging. You just can't do anything long term in a refrigerator that you have to open several times a day.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2011, 11:30 PM   #8
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_matt View Post
Several members have had good luck. I did a tri-tip, and didn't think it was worth the trouble.

Matt
Wrong cut of beef. I can't see any benefit to dry aging tri-tip.

CD

Old 11-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #9
bigsapper
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I wish I had a dedicated refrigerator to do a longer dry aging. You just can't do anything long term in a refrigerator that you have to open several times a day.

CD
I picked up a min-fridge at Home Depot for $65 from their scratch & dent aisle. I have it in the garage mostly stuffed with beer. I had in mind using it for dry aging.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
el_matt
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Wrong cut of beef. I can't see any benefit to dry aging tri-tip.

CD
Oh, sure, NOW you tell me that!!!

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
GARNAAL
Take a breath!

Talking

well - for years I have been doing a "3-ribber" prime rib, about once a month and use a combination of rubbing & aging..

I rub the piece of Prime with a mix of :
1 Tblsp Paprika powder,
1 Tblsp Dry Oregano,
1 Tblsp Black pepper,
1 Tblsp Garlic powder

and let it sit uncovered on a tray in the Fridge for ~ 4 to 5 days.
Then I take it out and let it get to room temperature,
rub it with some kosher salt just before I put it on the rotisssery on the BBQ and slowly roast it with a little pan of hickory chips next to it, to add a little smoke flavor to it.

here it goes..

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B-m...0YzZm&hl=en_US
GARNAAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsapper View Post
I picked up a min-fridge at Home Depot for $65 from their scratch & dent aisle. I have it in the garage mostly stuffed with beer. I had in mind using it for dry aging.
Good idea.

CD

Old 11-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #13
BIG ALAN
Full Fledged Farker

About 2 years ago I took a boneless prime rib roast from Costco for a 7-8 day dry age. Sliced it into 4 thick rib-eyes and grilled them. The absolutely best steak I have ever eaten. Guests thought so too. Intensely deep beef flavor like none other.
Wrapped mine in cheesecloth, put on a raised grate in a pan, back of the fridge (about 34 degrees). Changed the cloth after 1 day, re-wrapped, then left alone until the end. Unwrapped, trimmed off the leathery exterior. Using a rack elevates the roast for air circulation on all sides.
You cannot dry age 1 steak. Use either a strip loin or a prime rib roast. Peter Luger's in NYC dry ages these, plus full bone on porterhouse/t-bones (strip loin opposite tenderloin) for 30-45 days minimum. Some day I will have one. Until then I'm satisfied doing this at home.
Now, I always have a wet-aging prime rib roast in cryovac in the 34 degree fridge for 30 days. At the end I rinse, slice into thick ribeyes, then individually freeze them until needed. Using this easier technique, thaw one, then place uncovered back into the fridge for 24 hours. Not quite as good as dry aging above, but hugely tender.
BIG ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote