The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
Hoosier1960
On the road to being a farker

Default UDS Diffuser Question

I am finishing up the build on my UDS. I am debating on whether I should put an option for a diffuser. I have considered getting Weber Flavorizer Bars (stainless pieces of angle iron that are on clearance) and set them on my lower rack in the UDS when I want a diffuser. Any suggestions on this from those that use one? For those that do what height are you putting your diffuser at?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I use a foil lined terra cotta saucer. I think the general consensus is to use a 16" size, but my wife happened to have a 12" one, so that's what I used. Works like a champ. I don't specifically recall what height it's at.
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
lookwow
Knows what a fatty is.

What I did was put another set of brackets a little above my fire basket and then if I want I can put a grate on it and then a pizza pan to deflect some of the heat. One thing I will say is to not get to big of a pan. If it gets to big you will go through fual a lot faster.
lookwow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I added another grate just above the fire basket that I set my foil wrapped pizza stone on. This makes the temp above the pizza stone much more uniform. There used to be about a 75 degree difference from the center to the outside edge but not so with the pizza stone diffuser. I still don't use a diffuser with butts because I like the flavor created by the grease dripping in the coals.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I wrap a 16" pizza pan in foil (for easy cleaning) and just lay it across my firebasket. Seems to work well. There's probably a better way but I'm too lazy to pursue it.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?

Last edited by gtr; 11-10-2011 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: sp
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Rick T
Full Fledged Farker

I have a second grate over the fire basket and use a perforated pizza pan I got for just a few bucks, seems to work pretty good.
Rick T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
chomper's bbq
Full Fledged Farker

a flat pizza pan will work

Old 11-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
yobtaf

I used a diffuser one time and thought it really took away the unique flavor you get from the UDS. I dont think I would ever use one again. As far as temp difference I spread my lit coals out a little more in the basket, seems to help some.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
Greyeagle
Knows what a fatty is.

I have wondered why when I read of people making or using a diffuser in a drum smoker?
Greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

I installed a third lower rack in mine just for the purpose of setting a diffuser (pizza pan with some holes drilled in it). You could just as easily set any type of diffuser you want on a lower of two racks...

Old 11-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
TheMidnightSmoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobtaf View Post
I used a diffuser one time and thought it really took away the unique flavor you get from the UDS. I dont think I would ever use one again. As far as temp difference I spread my lit coals out a little more in the basket, seems to help some.
+1
Defeats the purpose of a Drum Smoker if you ask me.
I know, you didn't ask me.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
Hoosier1960

I went ahead and drilled the holes for the brackets. I did not want to drill any holes after it is powder coated if I can avoid it. I may never use a diffuser, but I like the option at least. Thanks for all the input!

Old 11-11-2011, 06:37 AM   #13
Rick T
Full Fledged Farker

I think a solid diffuser may defeat the fat smoke. Some don't like the direct fat smoke you get with no solid diffuser. IMO a diffuser with holes slows the rise of he heat and spreads it out some. (No scientific study done.) (maybe slows the draft some too.)

Who knows I did it cause it made sense to me and have not looked back. Works for me.
Rick T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2011, 07:28 AM   #14
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I added a diffuser because my center slab of ribs cooked faster than the two on the outside. Problem solved. I only use the diffuser when cooking certain things. I never use it when cooking butts because I like the flavor created by the fat dripping in the coals. I don't think it makes much if any difference in the flavor when cooking ribs or even brisket.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
Hoosier1960

Thanks Rick T and smokeyw! I really appreciate all the Brethren views :)

1 members found this post helpful.