The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
Redleg71
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Thansksgiving Cook next weekend, Have concerns!

These may be dumb questions but I have some concerns. We are having a large amount of people to our home and I want to make sure I get the birds right.

I purchased 3 frozen turkeys (18lbs each) this weekend for a party this coming saturday. I believe they are the 8% flavor enhanced.

1.)I have a large BGE and want to cook two of them in there. Is there any problem using a bird stand vs. a roasting rack. Its gonna be a tight fit and looking for the best way to prepare them.

2.)Brining. Seems to be some discussion on the 8% birds. I am inclined to go ahead and do an apple juice brine and just wnat to make sure this is not a huge no-no.

3.)Brining- where can i find some brine bags?

4.)Rubs- Thoughts here. Was thinking of cheating and using the BGE gourmet seasoning rub for one.

5.) Cook time and temps. I am thinking of going 275 degrees for 8-9 hours

thanks!

Unread 11-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chick...ed_turkey.html

That link offers step by step instructions for smoking turkey. I have done it this way and it was fantastic. I do NOT recommend going at 275*. I think you should use a higher temp.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired

Last edited by Jaskew82; 11-07-2011 at 11:26 AM..
Jaskew82 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

My thoughts below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg71 View Post
These may be dumb questions but I have some concerns. We are having a large amount of people to our home and I want to make sure I get the birds right.

I purchased 3 frozen turkeys (18lbs each) this weekend for a party this coming saturday. I believe they are the 8% flavor enhanced.

1.)I have a large BGE and want to cook two of them in there. Is there any problem using a bird stand vs. a roasting rack. Its gonna be a tight fit and looking for the best way to prepare them.

Do a test fit with the bird. a 14 lb. bird in a roasting pan is a tight fit in my Large BGE. If it will fit with the bird stand I don't see a downside.

2.)Brining. Seems to be some discussion on the 8% birds. I am inclined to go ahead and do an apple juice brine and just wnat to make sure this is not a huge no-no.

I don't buy birds that are pre-brined, but if I did I would probably not brine it again. If you do want to, cut back on the salt. Smokin' Okie has offered brining help in this thread. Also, he has a link to his Brining 101 in his signature. This is an excellent resource and reference.

3.)Brining- where can i find some brine bags?

This time of year I can usually find them at the meat counter in the market where I buy my birds. You can also use the Ziploc XL or XXL bags.

4.)Rubs- Thoughts here. Was thinking of cheating and using the BGE gourmet seasoning rub for one.

That's not cheating :)

5.) Cook time and temps. I am thinking of going 275 degrees for 8-9 hours

8-9 hours seems long to me. A turkey isn't like a but or brisket with internal connective tissues to render. I cook my birds at 325 and a 14 lb bird is usually done is 3-4 hours. I put aromatic veggies and herbs in the cavity, so that may make a difference.

thanks!

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

That is a fantastic article. My brother-in-law and I use those instructions, basically, and simply cook the bird on two Weber kettles using indirect cooking with the charcoal corals to hold the briquettes and wood off to the sides. We also quarter a whole white onion to go inside with the herbs.

Have fun!
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
Booda
Knows what a fatty is.

I did my last turkey at 275-300 for about 5 hours was a 16lb bird. I am a fan of the brine, but as Ron said be careful on the salt flavor.