MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
Smokin' Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Corn Fed Cookin' with TippyCanoe and Big T'z too!

Ever wondered what it takes to win the American Royal, the Iowa team of the year two years in a row, or the Sam's Club National Championship?

I am very excited to announce that we have teamed up with Ryan (musicmanryann) from Big T'z Q Cru to host a competition BBQ class in St. Ansgar Iowa on January 20th and 21st.

This two-day class will include every detail that has helped both of us be successful, including procurement, preparation, cooking, and presentation. Both will provide complete instructions regarding all four of their contest meats, while each will provide hands-on demonstrations of their best two categories—I will do pork and ribs, and Ryan will demonstrate chicken and brisket.

Whether you are a beginner, a serious backyarder, or seasoned contest veteran, you will be able to see firsthand what each of us does at a contest from start to finish, and help take your BBQ to the next level

Please see my website for more details and an application http://tippycanoebbq.com/Home_Page_UG6M.html

You will also find an email address there if you have questions. We are limiting the class size so be sure to sign up soon! Ryan and I are looking forward to hosting a great BBQ experience and we would love to have you join us!

Memphis Pro
Backwoods Fatboy
Backwoods Party
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

Hey Joe, isnt Saturday the 21st the same day as the Iowa BBQ Society annual meeting?
Fat Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
Smokin' Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Hey Joe, isnt Saturday the 21st the same day as the Iowa BBQ Society annual meeting?
Yes it is. We will be following our normal contest timeline so we expect to be done in plenty of time to get cleaned up and make the trip to Ames. Kind of like the after party

The banquet starts at 5pm.

Memphis Pro
Backwoods Fatboy
Backwoods Party

Old 11-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

I wonder if at your class there will be that one weird guy like the one that was at the Spring Training Class, remember the one that kept walking up to you guys or asking questions that had nothing to do with anything??

Unfortunately we will not be able to do both the class and annual meeting as we have plans all set up for that entire day in Ames.

For anybody curious I attended a class that several people did and Joe and Ryan do an excellent job. They answer questions and are very detailed in their instructions. If I had the time I would defiantly do this class.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Smokin' Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

I've had this question a couple of times so I thought I would post the answer here.

This will be a a full "tell all" class with rubs, sauces, techniques, meat selection, etc. You will see the full process that we use in competitions...

Memphis Pro
Backwoods Fatboy
Backwoods Party

Old 11-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Fat Freddy, who makes plans to spend an entire day in Ames? LOL! Will look forward to seeing you then.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanryann View Post
Fat Freddy, who makes plans to spend an entire day in Ames? LOL! Will look forward to seeing you then.
It's a family thing. Besides You guys there are big city compare to my little ol town.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
mikerobes
On the road to being a farker

Very interested Joe, but that is also same weekend of our banquet in MI. Are you doing another class in the spring?

Southern Q Gravity Limo Cooker
Southern Q 500 Water Cooker

Sometimes It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission

I like to sit down and have a quiet beer, then several noisy ones
mikerobes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
Smokin' Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerobes View Post
Very interested Joe, but that is also same weekend of our banquet in MI. Are you doing another class in the spring?
We don't have any formal plans to do additional classes at this point. We will likely evaluate that after we know how this one goes! Thanks for the interest

Memphis Pro
Backwoods Fatboy
Backwoods Party

Old 11-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

I finally got my website updated with the cooking class information up. If you would like to check it out and fill out the registration, go here.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
carlyle
is one Smokin' Farker

Joe and Ryan,
Best of luck with your class.
I will spread the word to people I know that are likely to be interested.

Any thoughts about tying in something for the judges? Winter brush up?
Judging followed by roundtable discussions- it is good to know what is going on in other judges heads and I am usually limited to just those at my table. Also good opportunity for cooks at the class to experience both the taste of your entries and what the judges are saying about it.

Could be instructive for both cooks and judges - not to mention instructors.

Just an idea that popped in my head as I read this.
I will be talking about this class tomorrow night at our committee meeting.

Best of luck.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #12
LoneStar Smoke Rangers
On the road to being a farker

Looking forward to this class. Just got in under the gun so to speak. Just hoping the weather holds up and gives us a couple good days.
LoneStar Smoke Rangers is offline   Reply With Quote