The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #16
Cloudsmoker
Take a breath!

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Russ - awesome post, thank you.
Would you mind checking the link on the Brine though? Could not download the 1st PDF.

Unread 11-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #17
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsmoker View Post
Russ - awesome post, thank you.
Would you mind checking the link on the Brine though? Could not download the 1st PDF.
PM your email and I'll send you the PDF.

The server where I store them is having a URL problem so I need to get that fixed. Hopefully by tomorrow.

Russ
Lastest Smokers (4) FEC100's including Twin Big Reds, FEPC1000 Pellet Grill, Cookshack 36" Charbroiler

[B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1159993040"]Smokin Okie on Facebook[/URL][/B]
A[B]uthor:[/B]
[URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010brining101.pdf"]Brining 101 PDF[/URL] & [URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010Turkey101.pdf"]Turkey 101 PDF[/URL]
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-20-2011, 09:44 AM   #18
Vision
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0

Russ, does it make sense to brine beef and pork? Would you brine a brisket?
Vision is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #19
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

OK, while I'll not call myself an expert at all on brining turkeys and chickens, I've got that down and am a VERY BIG proponent of it.

BUT.....not butts. I've had this conversation before and many have said that brining a pork butt or other red meat is pointless. What's you take?

It's been said that a lean meat benefits by brining (like loins, chops, etc) but because of the fat marbling, butts don't need it.

AND....along with that....I'm assuming that because pork and beef don't take smoke as readily as poultry, this means that the texture of the meat will also not take on the brine as easily? What kind of times should I try with whole butts? How about pork loins?
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #20
LuvDbbq
On the road to being a farker

Great Post. All of us new to brining thank you oh wise one.
Old #4 kamado, 32" SS Gas Grill with ceramic plates, Infrared rotisserie and side burner. Best cleaning towels I've found- [URL]http://davidwilliams.norwex.biz/?p=start&lang=EN[/URL]
LuvDbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #21
minijosh
Knows what a fatty is.

Can I please get a PM of the brining 101? My wife was asking me about it and I wanted to try it out for Thanksgiving.

The Smokin' Mormon

Nevada Pigeon Control
minijosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #22
mcoupe

Could I get your pdf as well ? The Brining one?
[COLOR=navy]MAVERICK E-732[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000080]WEBER 18 inch[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000080]BLUE EMBER IQUE (GASSER)[/COLOR]
mcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #23
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

Bump.
This is great info if anybody missed it!

Winner of the 1st annual BBQ Brethren Beard War!
I have 3 little kittens! Despicable Me
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Another old Kamado. Size #3.
22" fire pit with Weber lid. Nothing like a big fire after dinner.
Weber gasser with side burner, silver.
22" Weber Kettle Gold.
14" Smokey Joe Silver.
BLACK PIRATE THERMAPEN Yes, It's FAST.

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Infidiot #1"
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #24
SauceHitter
Found some matches.

I have brined successfully but never have been satisfied with the description of the physical processes involved.

Osmosis is the movement of the solvent(water) across the selective boundary from the region of low solute concentrate (salt) to the region of high concentration.

Applying this definition to brining, the brine should pull moisture from the meat rather than pull salt into the meat. Pour salt on a slug and watch it shrivel.

I am sure my confusion stems from applying high school chemistry concepts to a more complicated process. I would love to know where my understanding is breaking down.

Mark
SauceHitter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2011, 06:56 AM   #25
MrVza
Knows what a fatty is.

Sorry to bump an old thread... But I am going to attempt my first turkey on my weber kettle... Is it a must to brine? Or will I be fine just adding a little smoke @400 for 2 and a half to three hours? Thanks guys... My aunt wants a smoked bird for Christmas and I have a kettle and a vertical ... So I'll be making it... I'll probably try one brined and one not .
MrVza is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2011, 07:24 AM   #26
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

If you haven't done one, I'd suggest a test. Turkeys are pretty cheap and I would do a test.

Is it absolutely necessary? No.

If you get a good bird (look for one that doesn't say 'enhanced with x% solution) if you can or one that says water retained up to X%. The enhanced means they've brined them already.

I'd also smoke it not roast it. 400 would be roasting. Go for a lower temp, 275/300 or so and get a reliable temp thermometer and shoot for 160 in the breast.

Don't wait for a holiday to practice. If you want it to come out right under all the Holiday stress, then a little practice is in order.
Lastest Smokers (4) FEC100's including Twin Big Reds, FEPC1000 Pellet Grill, Cookshack 36" Charbroiler

[B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1159993040"]Smokin Okie on Facebook[/URL][/B]
[URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010brining101.pdf"]Brining 101 PDF[/URL] & [URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010Turkey101.pdf"]Turkey 101 PDF[/URL]

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #27
Badgeman

I can't say enough good about Russ' advice and website. I've got it bookmarked on my iPad! I've been smoking, on average about a turkey a week for the past 2 months and when I started using his Holiday Brine, I began to get consistent, perfect results. The brining process is not as laborious as it seems and its fun to mess with the basic ingredients to make interesting variations.
Thanks for the help, Russ.
Badgeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #28
MrVza
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks Russ ! You guys are great help with no flaming! Just a backyard Sunday afternoon cook trying to expand my que a little... As far as the lower temp goes... I was just shooting for a medium heat for crispy skin... I guess I will try to worry about skin after my few test runs... Thanks again.
MrVza is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #29
TWQQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Hey up, so I've got a turkey ready to rock for Sunday. I'm doing it herb-style, but I was wondering whether to brine or not? I'm looking for crispy skin!

Unread 12-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #30
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Brining is one of those things to try once and see how you like it. I'd say maybe 90% of the people that try it (my unscientific guess) love it. The other 10 have various reasons for not liking it.

I'm a fan of saying try it once as recommended and then decide if your taste buds like it.

Any questions just ask.