The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Unread 01-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #76
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
What a bunch of blown up BS. You want privacy live in a self contained silo with no outside communications. I voted for Gene and proud of it. Met him at Que by the Sea. One damn nice guy.
privacy and respect are two different things.... I consider it lack of respect, simply because he used information from various sources to try and better his field of contact to ask for votes from people that did NOT ask for his information.... that is clearly classified as spam..... a mass emailing without prior consent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
I agree. This is way blown up. He's a Brethren brother for pete's sake. It's all about bbq. What the hell. This is crap I just shake my head at.
So, since I too am a member, my opinions and comments are ok.... and not crap.... kind of contradicting comment the way I see it.... as long as you are a Brethren, you can do what you want.... I like that philosophy..... makes it ok to be a criminal in your book... I will print that out and the next time I get stopped for speeding I will tell the law enforcement that you said since I am a Brethren, I have the right to do what I want....

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlieque View Post
OK, due to this thread I have a question. I have run 70 contest over the years and I believe short of the KCBS database I most likely have a rather large email list of teams and judges too. About 9000 of them. I built my database to let teams and judges know if there is a new contest in there area and tell them the apps are on my site to judge and cook the contest. Is is also wrong and or spam to email teams with this info?

Arlie
In my opinion, yes.... they have not asked for the info.... so if I am on the list, please remove it....

http://spam.abuse.net/overview/whatisspam.shtml
What is spam?

Spam is flooding the Internet with many copies of the same message, in an attempt to force the message on people who would not otherwise choose to receive it. Most spam is commercial advertising, often for dubious products, get-rich-quick schemes, or quasi-legal services. Spam costs the sender very little to send -- most of the costs are paid for by the recipient or the carriers rather than by the sender.

ok folks, I think I have voiced my opinion, and will get off my soapbox... you know my opinions, and I know yours.... it is respect and lack of...

the end.
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 01-07-2012 at 05:56 PM..
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #77
Jaybird
On the road to being a farker

It's was only about BBQ!!!!!!!!
It's the way that you roll!"
:butt:

Last edited by Jaybird; 01-07-2012 at 07:08 PM..
Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #78
Red Valley BBQ
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
It's was only about BBQ!!!!!!!!
I think this has less to do with WHAT the email was about and is more about HOW the email came to be at this point.
Unread 01-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #79
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

You guys have lost your minds. Seriously! If you don't want an email from ANYONE, just reply to have yuour name removed. Those abuse junk sites are just a bunch of guys like the ones here who are upset who got together to try to make mountains out of mole hills and unfortunately, there's a lot of misinformation out there as to what spam actually is. It's simple really - Gene is a board member seeking re-election. You (or at least most of you) who received his message are members of the same organization and as such you have a relationship with Gene and a reason to be expected to have an interest in such an email. The only question in this entire "drama" is where he got it. I've heard he got it from KCBS (which is highly doubtful). I've heard he got it from another member of the board (very possible) and we've heard he got it from collecting addresses over the years. The first two are the only way there's any transgression committed here by anyone. Good night.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #80
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Is winter over yet????
Unread 01-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #81
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

LOL Crash

Team BBQ Thom.com
Kyle Emery Head Cook
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #82
Mornin' Wood
Full Fledged Farker

I would have LIKED to receive Gene's email. I wish the other candidates would have spent the time to put a little more out there about themselves.

They all answered the questions, but I would have personally appreciated seeing more information (of personal interest to each individual candidate) than just the answers to specific questions.

That said, I suppose I could have sent personal emails to each of the candidates to find out the answers to MY questions, and I haven't. C'est la vie.

But I did find that by reading each of the candidates platforms (ie the answers to the KCBS questions), I felt I got a reasonable idea what each person is like, what they appreciate (BBQ-related, anyway), and how much effort I expect them to put into the position on the board, if elected. Frankly, more info would have been better.

Just my HO.

Life. Beer.
For best results: Chill.
Mornin' Wood is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #83
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornin' Wood View Post
I would have LIKED to receive Gene's email. I wish the other candidates would have spent the time to put a little more out there about themselves.

They all answered the questions, but I would have personally appreciated seeing more information (of personal interest to each individual candidate) than just the answers to specific questions.

That said, I suppose I could have sent personal emails to each of the candidates to find out the answers to MY questions, and I haven't. C'est la vie.

But I did find that by reading each of the candidates platforms (ie the answers to the KCBS questions), I felt I got a reasonable idea what each person is like, what they appreciate (BBQ-related, anyway), and how much effort I expect them to put into the position on the board, if elected. Frankly, more info would have been better.

Just my HO.
I don't disagree with you, Chuck. I probably should have sent out emails again like I did in the fall of 2009 for the January, 2010 election. I chose to use Facebook more this year than I did back then. The thing about it is, there's probably only about 2,500 to 3,000 people in KCBS (of the 14,000 members) who really give a squat about the board and anything that happens anywhere outside of the confines of a contest. If you're sending emails, your chances of hitting those people aren't great. At least with Facebook, you've got a shot at reaching a majority of those who care.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #84
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendriver View Post
so I assume you have already been doing this and have done it many times. any complaints?
Yep I sent out 4000 one time and had a one complaint. He also said I should not have his email but yet it was all over the internet. In the end he was alright with it.

Organizing BBQ Contests Coast to Coast

www.arliequeevents.com
www.bestolehickorypitsdiscounts.com
arlieque is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #85
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Is winter over yet????
Do you even HAVE winter there?

And, thankfully, Winter is just about over here. Very full and early BBQ slate this year.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #86
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
You guys have lost your minds. Seriously! If you don't want an email from ANYONE, just reply to have yuour name removed. Those abuse junk sites are just a bunch of guys like the ones here who are upset who got together to try to make mountains out of mole hills and unfortunately, there's a lot of misinformation out there as to what spam actually is. It's simple really - Gene is a board member seeking re-election. You (or at least most of you) who received his message are members of the same organization and as such you have a relationship with Gene and a reason to be expected to have an interest in such an email. The only question in this entire "drama" is where he got it. I've heard he got it from KCBS (which is highly doubtful). I've heard he got it from another member of the board (very possible) and we've heard he got it from collecting addresses over the years. The first two are the only way there's any transgression committed here by anyone. Good night.
FYI - I have no dog in this hunt but I have to agree with Jeff here, and the US Gov't agrees, from the FTC:

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...guide-business

"The CAN-SPAM Act, a law that sets the rules for commercial email, establishes requirements for commercial messages, gives recipients the right to have you stop emailing them, and spells out tough penalties for violations. Despite its name, the CAN-SPAM Act doesn’t apply just to bulk email. It covers all commercial messages, which the law defines as “any electronic mail message the primary purpose of which is the commercial advertisement or promotion of a commercial product or service,” including email that promotes content on commercial websites. The law makes no exception for business-to-business email. That means all email – for example, a message to former customers announcing a new product line – must comply with the law."

So if I am reading this correctly, it has to be a commercial e-mail to be in violation of the law...
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Ranch Kettle,Weber Performerl
Certified Moink Baller
President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #87
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

This thread reminds me of the guy above should be banned because.......

Team BBQ Thom.com
Kyle Emery Head Cook
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #88
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke-n-my-i's View Post
make sure you remove your contact info.... call them at their toll free number, take your time to make sure to run their bill up, then send them junk mail in return... pay back time.
I want them to know that I did it. I figure it may cause them to take me off there solicitation list. What are they gonna do otherwise, spend more money to send me more junk mail so that I can have them pay again to receive it? Punish me by stop sending me junk mail?

As for the phone calls, that takes too much time and actually borders to close to FCC violations for my taste. I'm glad to take the five seconds to repackage the envelope and go about my day.

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #89
Big Poppa
is one Smokin' Farker

I already voted.
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #90
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
Do you even HAVE winter there?

And, thankfully, Winter is just about over here. Very full and early BBQ slate this year.
Heck yeah...low of 69 last night. Jacket weather.