The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default UDS insulation options

i am looking for new ideas for and insulation blanket to wrap my UDS with. i am looking to avoid anything that will melt to the surface up to 500 degrees and i would like it to be removable in the warmer months. i also dont want any exposed fiberglass media.

any ideas ?

Unread 11-02-2011, 12:35 AM   #2
BigKev
Got Wood.

Water Heater blanket?

Unread 11-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Welding blanket.
Carolina Pit Master
http://patio-q.com/
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-02-2011, 12:53 AM   #4
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Refletix (or however it's spelled).

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #5
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

I posted this in the UDS thread but I'm kicking around the idea of getting an over pack drum. They're 85 gal and designed to hold an 55 gal that's leaking. So If u run the vents out side the over pack and stuffing insulation between the two you should be able to get a 2" insulation UDS. Just a Dumba$$ oil works halfbacked idea LoL

pwa
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-02-2011, 05:21 AM   #6
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just curious why you all think you need insulation on a Drum Smoker?

I've cooked on mine when it was 20*F outside and other than using a bit more fuel than usual (15 lbs rather than 12) it performed like a champ.

They use less fuel than an 18" WSM, and you can't even compare them to a 22" bullet for fuel use.

Reflectix has a 180* heat range. But if you coat it with aluminized duct tape it'll have a slightly higher range, but its still plastic bubble wrap! A welders blanket would be my choice if I ever felt the need for it.

Why waste a good overpack drum when you can make a Magnum drum using 26" Weber cook grates?

Yeah the Winters in Alaska or South Dakota are rough, but you'll probably have more issues with wind than the cold weather. Seriously-I'd consider making a wind break out of plywood and hinges that you could fold around the drum and still work with it.

Oh yeah! The reason I'm finding it harder to find reconditioned overpack drums in Seattle is because they get shipped back to the oil fields in Alaska!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 11-02-2011, 06:16 AM   #7
dpeart
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have used a water heater blanket on my ECB for years with great success.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
dpeart is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-02-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post

I've cooked on mine when it was 20*F outside and other than using a bit more fuel than usual (15 lbs rather than 12) it performed like a champ.

They use less fuel than an 18" WSM, and you can't even compare them to a 22" bullet for fuel use.

Reflectix has a 180* heat range. But if you coat it with aluminized duct tape it'll have a slightly higher range, but its still plastic bubble wrap! A welders blanket would be my choice if I ever felt the need for it.

Why waste a good overpack drum when you can make a Magnum drum using 26" Weber cook grates?

Yeah the Winters in Alaska or South Dakota are rough, but you'll probably have more issues with wind than the cold weather. Seriously-I'd consider making a wind break out of plywood and hinges that you could fold around the drum and still work with it.

Oh yeah! The reason I'm finding it harder to find reconditioned overpack drums in Seattle is because they get shipped back to the oil fields in Alaska!
its a combination of the wind and the cold, by wind i mean 20mph + and by cold i mean 0 or less. i am already starting to notice the cooler weather effects on the operation though, sunday i did some beef ribs and chicken and had a difficult time getting it up to temp and it was only 45 out side, but there was fairly significant wind. thanks for the ideas brethren.

Unread 11-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyinsd View Post
i am looking for new ideas for and insulation blanket to wrap my UDS with. i am looking to avoid anything that will melt to the surface up to 500 degrees and i would like it to be removable in the warmer months. i also dont want any exposed fiberglass media.

any ideas ?

Move down here and ya won't have that problem

Seriously a welding blanket should work.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
2Bulldogs
Knows what a fatty is.

This is good for 850 degrees

http://www.knaufusa.com/products/com...ion_ecose.aspx

Unread 11-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #11
tburda
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwa View Post
I posted this in the UDS thread but I'm kicking around the idea of getting an over pack drum. They're 85 gal and designed to hold an 55 gal that's leaking. So If u run the vents out side the over pack and stuffing insulation between the two you should be able to get a 2" insulation UDS. Just a Dumba$$ oil works halfbacked idea LoL

pwa

Someone did this dont remember the user, to keep his kids away from the drum when it's hot I think.

Thats an option, as well as a welding blanket I think is the best choice. some bungess to hold it on and call it good.

Unread 11-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #12
FltEng
On the road to being a farker

Harbour Freight has welding blankets; fairly inexpensive too

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
KCBS

New Braunfels Longhorn Deluxe smokers (2)
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
Inexpensive vertical gasser
[B][COLOR=DarkOrange]Orange [/COLOR][/B]Thermapen
Maverick ET-732 (2)
FltEng is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #13
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie'48 View Post
Refletix (or however it's spelled).

I've used the same piece of wrap for many years. I put it on the "outside" of the drum so it never has been a problem with melting. The major benefit of it is the shelter it provides as opposed to looking for an r value. I've done overnighters when the temp drops to -25F and leave it on until I pass the rainy April weather. Cheap, easy and clean looking. If my welders blanket smelled like brisket... well my mind would start wandering when I should be working.

Last edited by h20loo; 11-02-2011 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: sp
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #14
smoke it if ya got it
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post

I agree wind is by far a bigger factor in a UDS holding temp.

[COLOR=red]Rub it till it smokes![/COLOR]
smoke it if ya got it is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
Kack
Knows what a fatty is.

Seems like the plywood idea would be fine of you just made a box out of it. Air is a great insulator, a 4 sided box with a lid and adequate ventilation would be fine. Just something to keep the cold air off of the outside of the drum. As long as it's not in contact with the steel, it would be fine
Kack is offline   Reply With Quote