The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 11-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
luckyduk
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 05-11-10
Location: Denver,Iowa
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Reflections on the "Jack"

So I have had a week and a half to think about this contest, and first off I want to say it was an honor to get drawn for this contest and we had a great time. It was great to meet so many new people.
My thoughts are in no way to take away anything from ANYONE that did well.
I am just wondering if I am thinking correctly or am I in the minority.
Does anyone else think that this contest was poorly ran, over-hyped and overall poorly organized?
In reference to: spaces (i basically shared a 20 X 30 with another team), percentage of cbj's vs. celebrity judges, payout, clusterfark with anything involved with the "hill", power, just a few thoughts?
__________________
Justin- Lucky's Q bbq team
Lucky's Q and Catering
2 Stumps Stretch's
Stumps 3X5 offset with warmer
luckyduk is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
Diva Q
is one Smokin' Farker

 
Diva Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-20-07
Location: Barrie,ON,Canada eh!
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I am going to respectfully disagree to a point.

We received lots of communications about the Jack contest. In fact more than any other contest.
They accommodated our request not to be put back in the inner circle as we were flooded out last time. They accommodated our request to bring in a 5th wheel to save money on a hotel. they greeted us as soon as we arrived and made it clear to us about the requirements on security check in. The Sheriff came by and greeted us and thanked us for coming.
We had no power issues. They checked on us 3 times to make sure we had our porta potty. We had meat inspection completed quickly.
Overall the organization from experience this year was great..
The Jack has never been about the money. While I believe the payouts should be higher I think of it as just a gift alone to be going. It is the only contest that really promotes International BBQ. Worldwide.
The judging doesn't bother me. You know it going in and it doesn't affect TOY points.

I think BBQ hill while beautiful - is absolutely over packed and I would not go up again. Not worth the line ups. I did not stay long. I don't care about free drinks. We were one of the last buses and that certainly didn't help.

Having said all this the Jack is a great way for Brown Forman to showcase their brand. It is a marketing and prestigious BBQ event and you have to look at it like that. Take from it what you can enjoy what you can. Enjoying the Jack with friends and teams from all over the world is an incredible experience.
__________________
Diva Q Website Follow me on Twitter and like us on Facebook.

Check out my new show BBQ Crawl !
Travel Channel (US) Cottage Life & Travel & Escape (Canada)

Life is too short for bad BBQ®
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Bbq Bubba's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-03-07
Location: New Baltimore, Mi.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva Q View Post
I am going to respectfully disagree to a point.

We received lots of communications about the Jack contest. In fact more than any other contest.
They accommodated our request not to be put back in the inner circle as we were flooded out last time. They accommodated our request to bring in a 5th wheel to save money on a hotel. they greeted us as soon as we arrived and made it clear to us about the requirements on security check in. The Sheriff came by and greeted us and thanked us for coming.
We had no power issues. They checked on us 3 times to make sure we had our porta potty. We had meat inspection completed quickly.
Overall the organization from experience this year was great..
The Jack has never been about the money. While I believe the payouts should be higher I think of it as just a gift alone to be going. It is the only contest that really promotes International BBQ. Worldwide.
The judging doesn't bother me. You know it going in and it doesn't affect TOY points.

I think BBQ hill while beautiful - is absolutely over packed and I would not go up again. Not worth the line ups. I did not stay long. I don't care about free drinks. We were one of the last buses and that certainly didn't help.

Having said all this the Jack is a great way for Brown Forman to showcase their brand. It is a marketing and prestigious BBQ event and you have to look at it like that. Take from it what you can enjoy what you can. Enjoying the Jack with friends and teams from all over the world is an incredible experience.
Easy to say being parked under a 20 x 20 pavillion!

I do know several teams had space and electric issues and the hill was CRAZY this year due to more teams and the arrival of Guy but it is what it is. Its the Jack and anybody i know would give their left nut to cook there.
__________________
Pitmaster @ Lockharts BBQ
Beer Snob
I cook the best brisket north of Dallas. Get over it.
Northern midwest director for OBR
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
JD McGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-07
Location: Duvall, WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

This was our second year to cook the Jack...I thought the organization and communication was excellent. BBQ Hill seemed to be overcrowded for folks arriving later in the evening...same as last year. The pay outs and judging leave a lot to be desired...but it is what it is. This was a very expensive trip for us...but well worth it for the simple reason that we got to visit with a LOT of family and friends in the area...and oh yeah...we got to cook a little bbq too!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
atvalaska
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 07-30-10
Location: NENANA, ALASKA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I for one think things were a bit off from last year, the meet a greet at the gate was non existent power, free zone in the back 40/city park, things got back on track when meat inspection time came…them folks were on it !..…I did not go up on BBQ hill this year as last year it had more folks on it then I see around my town in year, team mates went up..…an came back with “it’s a mad house” ….judging was a bit different then last year as my scores were all over…(pic’s side by side with last years turns in’s reveled some of that) ……everyone seemed a bit …too… serious, still had a good time in all that hot weather….the jack folks had there plates full with all the people….so all in all …good job! ......i'm still sad the deep fried foot long corn dog guy was a no show ...as i had my eye and my own bottle of ketsup waiting on one
__________________
SQUEAL-ON-U-BBQ : IF your [B]Brisket[/B] AINT 1ST YOUR 87th!....:bow:
just a big, hairy American winning machine ;)

Last edited by atvalaska; 11-02-2011 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: food!
atvalaska is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
2Fat
is one Smokin' Farker
 
2Fat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-13-03
Location: Nekoosa, Wi
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Ditto what others have said--also remember 'the jack' is what it is because of the volunteers who give a week(or more) of their time to help around the holler
Security was BS(imo anyway) but B-F must have hired a security guy that needed to prove his(or her) worth to the company)
that all said we had a great time and the weather was perfect!
Great way to end the bbq season and
__________________
Buzz(2FAT)
KCBS #9269 and #4605
Blazen Gridiron
BWS Competitor--sold
BWS Pro Jr--sold
BWS party(all SS)
BDS--on loan
BGE
2Fat is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Kit R
Full Fledged Farker
 
Kit R's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-20-09
Location: Midland VA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Yeah the hill was crowded and we had some power issues. But compared to the other events we've done in the past two years it was pretty well-run, the folks were super nice and that goodie bag was really awesome! And the way I see it, it was an invitational event and we were fortunate enough to get that invite in our second year of competition when other deserving teams have been waiting for an invite for many years. So yeah we are happy. Didn't hurt we actually got hear our name called twice too.
__________________
http://deguellobbq.wordpress.com
Kit R is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
Podge
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 09-25-06
Location: Elk Creek, Ky.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyduk View Post
poorly ran, over-hyped and overall poorly organized?
In reference to: spaces (i basically shared a 20 X 30 with another team), percentage of cbj's vs. celebrity judges, payout, clusterfark with anything involved with the "hill", power, just a few thoughts?
Ironic how 6,000+ teams still want to get in it!..
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-23-04
Location: DFW, San AntonioTx
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I was there, and grateful to be there. It's the Jack, it's different and that's part of what makes it special. I hope to be fortunate enough to go back and enjoy it again.
__________________
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. --Frank Zappa

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
Scottie
Babbling Farker
 
Scottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-06
Location: Chi-Town
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I was there, and grateful to be there. It's the Jack, it's different and that's part of what makes it special. I hope to be fortunate enough to go back and enjoy it again.


I hope to be there and do a shot with you... Those NEBS guys are wicked crazy... They do have good beeyah though...

The only thing i was disappointed in was everyone was in bed when i showed up... WTF.....
__________________
cancersuckschicago.com
FROM SEA TO SHINING SEA BBQ TOUR

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-23-04
Location: DFW, San AntonioTx
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I hope to be there and do a shot with you... Those NEBS guys are wicked crazy... They do have good beeyah though...

The only thing i was disappointed in was everyone was in bed when i showed up... WTF.....
NEBSville was my destination of choice when I got out and about. I'll offer my public apologies now, because I neglected to offer you some local product when I came down off the hill and found you in our site
__________________
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. --Frank Zappa

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #12
Scottie
Babbling Farker
 
Scottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-06
Location: Chi-Town
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
NEBSville was my destination of choice when I got out and about. I'll offer my public apologies now, because I neglected to offer you some local product when I came down off the hill and found you in our site

Don't you worry. Charlie and the ISS!!!/Lakeside folks took good care of me. Fortunately, the Sheriff didnt see me and i could enjoy a couple of hours...
__________________
cancersuckschicago.com
FROM SEA TO SHINING SEA BBQ TOUR

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #13
ALX
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 10-07-08
Location: Severna Park,Maryland
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
....i'm still sad the deep fried foot long corn dog guy was a no show ...as i had my eye and my own bottle of ketsup waiting on one
Man....I was pissed they were not vending this year.....Good corn dog hard find in these parts...

We did our second straight and with 89 teams compared to 76 last year the spots seemed tighter even with parking lot full behind ball field...

No complaints...Easy to say though when cooking/staying out of me sisters and BIL 12'x40' RV.....

Mike from Lakeside Smokers managed hook up a beauty of a junction box that fed 6 teams with some power(we use RV generator)

We ended up meeting many good comp folk as usual...32 degree saturday morning was a twist.....

No doubt we would do it again if invited......
ALX is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #14
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

 
Slamdunkpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-27-07
Location: Northern VA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I was over on the vend side so we had plenty of space and great neighbors. The whole "security check-in" was silly & pointless but isn't that the case with most "security"? I had a good time and hope to be back.
__________________
Aporkalypse Now Competition BBQ team
Thanks to our sponsors: Wusthof Trident USA & Creekstone Farms
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 11-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #15
carlyle
Full Fledged Farker

 
carlyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-06-10
Location: Owatonna, MN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Justin,
We are just proud of your representation at both the AR and the Jack.

What ever your experiences were, they will help you the next time you are there.

I know what will help your outlook, a nice portion of "apple pie"!
__________________
Carlyle, KCBS, CBJ, Organizer ( Judge Chair)
carlyle is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What I learned on Friday at the "Jack" donmiller Competition BBQ 15 10-24-2010 08:26 PM
Official "Going to the Jack just for the party" thread Bbq Bubba Competition BBQ 21 09-08-2009 02:01 PM
"Jack" Chips on a Gasser Grill The_Kapn Q-talk 8 04-08-2007 11:08 AM
"Qualifiers" for the Royal Invitational and Jack The_Kapn Competition BBQ 23 01-21-2005 03:49 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts