עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-31-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
SCSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Box Question

This box got all 8's and a 7 in appearance. I thought it looked as good as many others I have seen online. What should I do to improve my scores?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pork box.jpg (217.0 KB, 294 views)

Unread 10-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

First impression is the meat looks delicious. I seriously want to reach in and grab a few bites.

On the other hand, the meat is somewhat buried in the parsley. You want the parsley subservient to the meat, not competing for attention. I would also try to get more meat in the box to help with the idea that the meat is what is being presented.

With meat that good looking, just a few tweaks and those presentation scores should climb right up there.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

I agree. The meat is buried. Use the parsley as a platform and make the meat the star.

Sunday, 8/10/2014 Brethren Gathering - ILFO, IAFO, INFO, WIFO, MIFO or anyone :)

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-31-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

8's and 7's isnt terrible. However, in this case, the meat itself does look awesome. We are only supposed to judge meat, but in this case it's REALLY covered with garnish. As said above, garnish only underneath so that it frames the meat with a nice green background. Also, more of this meat in the box will reduce the amount of greenery showing, which IMHO is a better thing. That meat looks really great.
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
MilitantSquatter

Is the left, front pile sauced and the right unsauced or does it just appear that way ?

Unread 10-31-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
SCSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Is the left, front pile sauced and the right unsauced or does it just appear that way ?
Your correct. We like the idea of giving the judges an unsauced taste with the others.

Thanks for all the good input

Unread 10-31-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

As everyone else said, raise the meat up. That's some great looking pork, raise it up & show it off.

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-31-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
fnbish
Babbling Farker

Looks like a 9 to me. I've only judged one competition , but sat at a great table next to a master judge who had judged over 80 competitions. He was very happy to talk with me and answered the million questions I had especially since I told him I started competing this year and wanted to pick his brain from both a judging and competing standpoint.

When I asked about appearance he didn't understand why so many people take the garnish into consideration when you are supposed to look at the meat. He almost sounded like he was in the minority of people who truly follow the judging guidelines and just look at the meat and can ignore the garnish, which I'm all for as a cook . He said he didn't think it was fair to screw a team out of a chance to win or do better because the parsley wasn't perfect or in this case the meat is sitting a little low and then give a 7 or 8.

Certainly i'm very new when it comes to judging and might be in the minority here, but he even admitted that for all that cook's put into turning in a box it is almost a disservice to score down a point or two because of garnish.
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
fnbish is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #9
nthole
Babbling Farker

I'd have given it an 8. Too much parsley. Put the meat on top of the parsley, accent it around the meat if you want, but as it is, I'd want to see more meat. Just another case of where garnish ends up dropping the score instead of helping.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

My opinion as a judge isn't too different from those stated above, but I'll chime in anyway. I'd judge this box an 8 for appearance due to the fact that while the meat looks pretty dadgum good, it would look better on top of the garnish instead of kinda nestled down into the garnish. Also, while ALL of the meat looks moist and inviting, I would like to see a little of the "inside" meat without any bark on it at all. That is usually where I like to see what the "meat" tastes like as well as tasting the meat with the bark. (Without having to pick around the pile to find a piece or two to sample.)

Overall a very good looking box that just needs a tweak here or there to maximize its scoring potential (IMHO).

P.S. - I REALLY like the "sauced" and "unsauced" piles!!!
OBJ - BBQCritic.com
CTC - KCBS
Pitmaster and chef - "4 Lil' Pigs" Competition BBQ Team
Author of "A 'Q' Review"
Lang Hybrid Smoker, BDS, Holland "Epic"
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #11
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
When I asked about appearance he didn't understand why so many people take the garnish into consideration when you are supposed to look at the meat.
Generally I agree with this judge, but with this box the parsley is covering the meat and it's not possible to see more that the very top of it. If the meat was on top of the parsley there would be no debate about it. The judges could see the meat and score appropriately.

Sunday, 8/10/2014 Brethren Gathering - ILFO, IAFO, INFO, WIFO, MIFO or anyone :)

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 11-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #12
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

more meat. fill the box

Unread 11-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #13
carlyle
Take a breath!

I agree with the opinions above.
When this many people say the same thing, usually there is some validity there.

Compliments on how the meat looks. Makes me want to reach in and grab some.

Question, I see three different types of meat in the box. Judges are supposed to take some of each. Is that your intent?

Unread 11-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #14
FullMoonBBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I tend to agree with everyone else! The meat looks absolutely great! I would have prob. gave it a 9 just on that although I think it would look better on top of parsley.
FullMoonBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #15
SCSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyle View Post
I agree with the opinions above.
When this many people say the same thing, usually there is some validity there.

Compliments on how the meat looks. Makes me want to reach in and grab some.

Question, I see three different types of meat in the box. Judges are supposed to take some of each. Is that your intent?
That is our intent. Some sliced money muscle, some pulled and sauced, and some pulled and unsauced. We figure this way you can appeal to different judges who like different things. For example I feel like if I got this box I would try to get a piece of unsauced pulled with a good hunk of bark on it, mainly because I feel like that is best example of how well the meat is cooked and seasoned.

Now that I am writing this it begs the question.....Do you guys think this is a good approach?