The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Unread 10-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Questions for KCBS BOD Candidates

I'm Starting a new thread because I don't particularly like the title of the most active thread on this subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtimebbq View Post
Hi Leatherhead (and all the other candidates),

I am a one issue voter. Last year, the membership voted overwhelmingly for KCBS to look into regional BOD members. I have avoided reading all the other BOD threads to wait for the offical statements in the Bullsheet, but the title of this tread caught my eye. If you or any of the other candidates state they are in favor of regional BODs, you have my vote. Hope to read your statements in the Bullsheet.

Thanks for running, Benny
I have a different approach to regional representation. I don't think assigning Board seats to specific regions is necessarily the best way to achieve good representation for all of our members. I look at it like this, the Jack has the most diverse representation of bbq teams but doesn't actually have all the best teams in the country (that's not a knock on the Jack or the people that have been invited it's just a fact). I don't want to just diversify the BOD I want it to have the best people willing and able to serve.

My idea for regional representation is for KCBS to build better relationships with organizations like NEBS, CBBQA, MABBQA, IABBQ and the list goes on. All of these organizations help organize KCBS contests, host KCBS judging classes and teach bbq classes to competitors and the general public. Perhaps some type of committee with members from each of these organizations that has a chance to submit a report at every KCBS BOD meeting. The members of the committee could be voted in be each organization however they see fit. That committee would elect it's own chairmen who would be responsible for presenting the committees report and recommendations each month at the KCBS BOD meeting.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm in complete agreement with Steve on this issue and the analogy to the Jack is perfectly stated. I'm all for regional representation through KCBS affiliated committees within each regional association and having each regional association's chairperson be a part of each KCBS board meeting.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Unread 10-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
Good morning bbq people, it is time for the morning stir. I have been reading each of the replies here and one common thread keeps coming up. It all has to do with not liking something the board has done. Everyone has something that they don't like about what they have done including me. I have tried to acknowledge some of there accomplishments. I know it may be hard sometimes to see it but there has been some good things that have come from the board. Those positives need to be built on.

Of those of you running what are the positive things that you want to continue to expand on?
I like the expanded use of technology by KCBS. I think the website is a wealth of information now. I think they have a great backbone in place that we can use to improve communication between the BOD and the members. I heard that they are trying to make the website smartphone friendly which is great.
Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
ique
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
I like the expanded use of technology by KCBS. I think the website is a wealth of information now. I think they have a great backbone in place that we can use to improve communication between the BOD and the members. I heard that they are trying to make the website smartphone friendly which is great.
Well, as long as contest results go up at the right time
ique is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've been in favor of regional representation for a long time, but I'm not positive on how to do it. Possibly the local BBQ association idea is the best, I'll have to do a bit more thinking on this in the next couple of weeks.

One thing that I'd like to see is to have all rule changes / clarifications sent out as an e-mail blast to the total membership. That way everyone (cooks, judges, Reps, organizers, etc.) are on the same page at the same time. Publishing them in the Bullsheet is a great idea, but I feel that if KCBS can send an e-mail when a T-shirt is for sale then sending other notices can also be done at very little or no cost.

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie'48 View Post
I've been in favor of regional representation for a long time, but I'm not positive on how to do it. Possibly the local BBQ association idea is the best, I'll have to do a bit more thinking on this in the next couple of weeks.

One thing that I'd like to see is to have all rule changes / clarifications sent out as an e-mail blast to the total membership. That way everyone (cooks, judges, Reps, organizers, etc.) are on the same page at the same time. Publishing them in the Bullsheet is a great idea, but I feel that if KCBS can send an e-mail when a T-shirt is for sale then sending other notices can also be done at very little or no cost.
The rules need an overhaul. Clarification would go a long way to resolving some of this and E-distribution would be a major plus.

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
The rules need an overhaul. Clarification would go a long way to resolving some of this and E-distribution would be a major plus.
Send me your thoughts, please. I started talking to several people about that in Lynchburg, after thinking about it myself for a while. I've tossed it out to Jeff, Steve, and Dave in private and got some VERY constructive criticism that I'm working on using. The idea is still too rough to present in public, but I could use some additional input to try and make it more workable and hopefully beneficial to membership.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
Plowboy

I'd like to see the member lists of all KCBS committees made public knowledge. The only member publicly named is the BOD chair.

Any candidates support that?

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
I'd like to see the member lists of all KCBS committees made public knowledge. The only member publicly named is the BOD chair.

Without question. You willing to serve?;)

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Tarheel
Full Fledged Farker

[QUOTE=YankeeBBQ;1831148]I'm Starting a new thread because I don't particularly like the title of the most active thread on this subject.

Now what would you be refering too? I thought we were making progress and here you go changing it because you don't like it.

Some one has got to stir the pot once and a while or things will burn and get stinky.

Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Without question. You willing to serve?;)
Absolutely. As long as the BOD chairperson is willing to submit a report each month.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #12
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Yup. I support that 100 percent.
Unread 10-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #13
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

[quote=Tarheel;1831786]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
I'm Starting a new thread because I don't particularly like the title of the most active thread on this subject.

Now what would you be refering too? I thought we were making progress and here you go changing it because you don't like it.

Some one has got to stir the pot once and a while or things will burn and get stinky.

I wasn't referring to your thread when I posted that but it is just as fitting. Stir away but if you want to be taken seriousl.......eh I'll just leave it at that I'm not looking to start a flame war. Carry on.
Unread 10-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #14
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
Well, as long as contest results go up at the right time
I'm surprised more hasn't been posted about that. It seems to me there is an easy fix for that.
Unread 10-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #15
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

I don't know of any other organization that doesn't openly publish committee members. I can't see any reason to hide anything.
Leatherheadiowa is offline   Reply With Quote