The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Unread 10-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #31
Candy Sue
Take a breath!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

What an exciting campaign we'll have this year! While it's against some policy somewhere in KCBS, I'm sure, for me to say anything about any of the candidates specificially, I do believe that it's great to see the quality of candidates and the passion for BBQ that is brought by the entire slate!

Please, please all KCBS members -- learn about our candidates, read up on the issues on the ballot (you'll hear of these next month), make educated decisions and VOTE!!!
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #32
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Not to bring something as trivial as math (and probability) into an election, but when individuals are allowed to vote for more than one person it takes the overall election down the path simply of name recognition, particularly on those votes not #1. This, IMHO, is a key to why some of the same folks get elected time and time again (getting that #3 vote because they're recognized). It actually adds some credence to running as a group.
Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #33
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Not to bring something as trivial as math (and probability) into an election, but when individuals are allowed to vote for more than one person it takes the overall election down the path simply of name recognition, particularly on those votes not #1. This, IMHO, is a key to why some of the same folks get elected time and time again (getting that #3 vote because they're recognized). It actually adds some credence to running as a group.
Lake Dogs, you make a great point! As a pharmaceutical researcher statistics and numbers are my thing. The probability of a single party running and getting elected is reduced. That is just the facts of life. One thing about party candidacy is that one wrong statement or opinion of one can sink the whole bunch.
Leatherheadiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #34
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherheadiowa View Post
Lake Dogs, you make a great point! As a pharmaceutical researcher statistics and numbers are my thing. The probability of a single party running and getting elected is reduced. That is just the facts of life. One thing about party candidacy is that one wrong statement or opinion of one can sink the whole bunch.
That may be true if each voter only has a single vote. As Lake Dogs said though, we all have four votes so running as a group of four is a great idea.
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #35
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah, with four votes you could vote straight ticket. Other people in this formu and others said the same while others said they prefer to pick individuals. I used to vote in political elections straight ticket until I realized that the (D) or (R) behind the name didn't really mean much compared to the past actions and the current platform.
It will be great to see all of the ideas and platforms come out in the Bull Sheet. I will also love to see who or whos spend the most money!
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #36
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherheadiowa View Post
I wonder what the opinions of others relating to this are. Go it alone until the election results are read, or withdraw and spend the time with my family?
Since you asked . . .

Every individual is different, but IF it was me, and I had to ask this question, I wouldn't be running.

In my life, I ask these types of questions, and think them through before committing to anything. If I've done this properly, then there is no reason to reconsider. The actions of others (outside of my family and close friends) have no bearing or effect upon my actions.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #37
Rookie'48

Ok, here's my thoughts on this whole thing. For the past few months various people have been asking me to run for the BoD and I had been saying "No". The four of us (Jeff, George, Steve and myself) know & respect each other and each other's viewpoints.

Do we agree on all matters? Probably not. But each of us has the same basic goal - to open up the workings of the BoD to the members who really "own" KCBS. It's your money that pays for this organization to exist so we (as a group & individually) think that you should know just what the fark is going on behind these closed doors. We all are sick and damn tired of back room deals that perpetuate the "Good Ol' Boys" way of doing things and we want to change that. We think that you, as members have the right to see, hear and speak up on what happens in the organization that you pay for.

Now, back to my first paragraph: I was asked (for the umpteenth time) to run. I said "Ok, if you will then I will", not expecting the others to take the plunge. That's kinda the same story that each of us have. I have been pretty vocal about what I think needs some improvement in KCBS and I guess that if I'm not willing to stand up in public for what I've said then I can't expect anyone else to stand up for me.

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.

Last edited by Rookie'48; 10-24-2011 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: spelling & more info
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #38
Sawdustguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie'48 View Post
Ok, here's my thoughts on this whole thing. For the past few months various people have been asking me to run for the BoD and I had been saying "No". The four of us (Jeff, George, Steve and myself) know & respect each other and each other's viewpoints.

Do we agree on all matters? Probably not. But each of us has the same basic goal - to open up the workings of the BoD to the members who really "own" KCBS. It's your money that pays for this organization to exist so we (as a group & individually) think that you should know just what the fark is going on behind these closed doors. We all are sick and damn tired of back room deals that perpetuate the "Good Ol' Boys" way of doing things and we want to change that. We think that you, as members have the right to see, hear and speak up on what happens in the organization that you pay for.

Now, back to my first paragraph: I was asked (for the umpteenth time) to run. I said "Ok, if you will than I will". That's kinda the same story that each of us have. I have been pretty vocal about what I think needs some improvement in KCBS and I guess that if I'm not willing to stand up in public for what I've said then I can't expect anyone else to stand up for me.
Dave,

You have nothing to explain to us. Neither does Jorge, Jeff or Steve. I think everyone here knows your backgrounds and understands what you guys are trying to do. Leatherheadiowa is a newbie here. Does he not understand that he has not built enough credibility here to start demanding votes from the membership? He is starting to make himself sound very desparate and it is becoming unnerving.

Other than explaining that he loves BBQ we know very little about him. It took him until post 22 to tell us his real name. It would have been nice if he would have told us a little bit more about himself and other than loving BBQ what else he brings to the table in terms of qualifications. Does he have a business, public relations or educational background? Unfortunately for him he kinda blew his chance at a good first impression.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Unread 10-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #39
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
Dave,

You have nothing to explain to us. Neither does Jorge, Jeff or Steve. I think everyone here knows your backgrounds and understands what you guys are trying to do. Leatherheadiowa is a newbie here. Does he not understand that he has not built enough credibility here to start demanding votes from the membership? He is starting to make himself sound very desparate and it is becoming unnerving.

Other than explaining that he loves BBQ we know very little about him. It took him until post 22 to tell us his real name. It would have been nice if he would have told us a little bit more about himself and other than loving BBQ what else he brings to the table in terms of qualifications. Does he have a business, public relations or educational background? Unfortunately for him he kinda blew his chance at a good first impression.
For someone new to this whole forum society I should have known better. It appears that there are experts here that will forget more than I know.
I posted an introduction days ago and there weren't many views and that would explain why most people don't know about me.
It doesn't seem important that I have a background in sportsmedicine, worked for the Chicago Cubs and Denver Broncos, owned a small manufacturing business that sold product in the major big box home improvement stores, the fact that I teach classes in Homeland Security with an emphasis on improvised explosive devices and command and control, or the fact that I am a member of the DMAT team, a Master Mason with the Masonic Lodge and I am currently a pharmaceutical researcher.
To me if I heard that about another candidate, I would still want to know
about their BBQ passion and what they can bring to the table in terms of KCBS. I would have no problem using my network to help the KCBS any way I could but that is secondary to remedying other issues.
I want people to know me but if anyone told me about their amazing life experiences that I have shared I would look at them as a showboater and that's not my goal. I am BJ Hoffman, father to an 8 year old that loves bbq, a husband to a woman that supports my hobbys and interests, and someone that wants to better the KCBS through listening to members rather than making statements of what is going to be done. Give me a chance to learn this forum society...
Unread 10-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #40
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

as an outsider to the competitive bbq circuit, i just have to kind of giggle at the thought of a "group of candidates running as a block" against a "good ole boy system".

είναι το είδος.
deepsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #41
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouth View Post
as an outsider to the competitive bbq circuit, i just have to kind of giggle at the thought of a "group of candidates running as a block" against a "good ole boy system".
Hey, if Romney, Paul, Bachman, and Cain attempt this let me know!
Unread 10-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #42
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

BJ, welcome to the forum. I see where you mention your passion for BBQ. Maybe I missed some specifics, but could you tell us more about this passion to help us learn about that side of you.

How long have you been a member of KCBS?
Are you a competitive cook, judge, rep? If so, roughly how many KCBS comps have you cooked/judged/rep'd?
If elected to the BOD what do you want to see happen and how do you plan to take on those efforts?
What do you perceive as the biggest obstacle for KCBS at the present time and in the future?
You mentioned a big idea for those who who don't compete often. Not sure if you already mentioned that, if so I missed it.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #43
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
BJ, welcome to the forum. I see where you mention your passion for BBQ. Maybe I missed some specifics, but could you tell us more about this passion to help us learn about that side of you.

How long have you been a member of KCBS?
Are you a competitive cook, judge, rep? If so, roughly how many KCBS comps have you cooked/judged/rep'd?
If elected to the BOD what do you want to see happen and how do you plan to take on those efforts?
What do you perceive as the biggest obstacle for KCBS at the present time and in the future?
You mentioned a big idea for those who who don't compete often. Not sure if you already mentioned that, if so I missed it.
Please see post #22. Thanks.
Unread 10-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #44
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Thanks, I think I got some answers there. Do you compete often in Iowa? Surprised we haven't meet (or maybe we have ). What's your team name?
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #45
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Thanks, I think I got some answers there. Do you compete often in Iowa? Surprised we haven't meet. What's your team name?
We do compete in Iowa. Our team name is Butler Center BBQ. We cooked Marshalltown, LaPorte City, Weeping Water, Dubuque, Storm Lake, and a few other non sanctioned contests this summer. Between one of my teammates being a paramedic that works 24 on 48 off and wife having a baby two weeks ago, my brother switching jobs, and me in the hospital deciding to have a heart attack our competition got cut short. We usually don't get to do as much socializing since we typically can't leave until Friday morning or Friday noon due to my work or my paramedic teammate getting off a 24 hour shift at 8am. This next year we are scheduled for 12 contests. Barring any heart attacks or the birth of children we should be set. Getting a few sponsors has helped solidify a solid schedule too. I would love to meet ya. We are looking for a winter contest that is within a day's drive. Let me know if anythingis planned in KC.