The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
Tennessee Jed
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Pro Teams in Backyard Division

We made our annual run down to Lynchburg to check out the Jack this weekend. After a walk through the Backyard Division area I noticed several KCBS pro teams competing... and displaying trophies from previous wins! I really don't want to be "that guy" who points fingers and cries foul, but I was in almost daily contact with Debbie Christian @ JD early in the year to get an application for the Jack Daniels Backyard Competition. Once we received and opened our competitor's packet, the first thing we saw was that heartbreaking notice: "You cannot compete in the Backyard division if you have EVER COMPETED in a professional event (KCBS/MBN), backyard is for amatuer teams only." Having accepted that we decided not to send in our application. We've never won an event, but we've been competing in KCBS event for several years. So how is it that I'm seeing more and more winning pro teams competing in these amatuer events... not just the Jack Backyard but everywhere?
Tennessee Jed is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Not every back yard comp has that rule. If there were teams who have competed (and even won) in a KCBS or MBN comp in the Jack back yard, then someone wasn't enforcing the rules.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Doesen't everyone have FEC's and Old Hickory CTO's in their back yards?

Kidding of course. I wasn't there so I can't say. However there are some teams that compete alot in backyard comps so that they can do the People's Choice portion. I guess its possible that this is the case, but from the way you describe it, it sounds otherwise.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Doesen't everyone have FEC's and Old Hickory CTO's in their back yards?

Kidding of course. I wasn't there so I can't say. However there are some teams that compete alot in backyard comps so that they can do the People's Choice portion. I guess its possible that this is the case, but from the way you describe it, it sounds otherwise.
Hmmm, i thought it was the cook not the cooker...

Unread 10-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
Tennessee Jed

Funny stuff Q-Dat! I'm going to try to run that by my wife and see if I can upgrade the old WSM out on the back porch to couple of trailer mounted FEC's!

Unread 10-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

I didn't notice any pro teams.

Unread 10-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianagriller View Post
excatly

Unread 10-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianagriller View Post
It definitely is. I know those cookers get beat by drums all the time.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2011, 11:54 PM   #9
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

I have an ole hickory CTO ... have been beat by JAMBO''s, home made pits, uds and everything else. But I understand where you are coming from they are not typical back yard pits.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Unread 10-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
ALX
Knows what a fatty is.

We were located directly across from shade tree (backyard) this year and i had the pleasure of talking with a few contestants who walked up to chat up the "pro's"

Both were doing their first ever comps etc...I basicaly told them to have fun and cook way you do... I would guesstimate there was 40-60 teams over there like last year....

Not sure how they could stop folk from entering who are experienced...Thats just wrong for a seasoned comp cook to enter if you ask me...The 2 folk i talked with were backyard bbq'ers and just not as versed etc. in the whole comp deal....
ALX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-25-2011, 01:01 AM   #11
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I worked the Shade Tree division at the Jack as a volunteer for several years, and I never saw any Pros cooking there.

In fact, a couple years back I was asked to help out on the backyard team of a good friend who had passed that summer. His widow and cooking partner decided to go ahead and cook the backyard division at the Jack to honor my friend. I called JD to discuss it, and was told that despite the circumstances I could not participate as a cook in the Shade Tree because I was a member of a Pro team even though I have never been listed as Head Cook.

Yes I know of a few teams who do cross back and forth across the line between Backyard and Pro at other contests, but never at The Jack. They are pretty firm on that rule in Lynchburg.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #12
Tennessee Jed

Did you volunteer down there this last weekend?

BWS Piglet/Pitts-N-Spitts CB2436/22.5" WSM/Weber Performer/Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel Smoker Project