MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #16
Hunterman95
is one Smokin' Farker

That's makin' me hungry NW!

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-21-2011, 11:44 PM   #17
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've been told by a lobster boat captain that there's only one way with one variation to make a lobster roll. Take the mat of one steamed 1 lb lobster and cut it into chunks, then put it in a New England hot dog bun, with a touch of s&p. The only variation was to use just enough mayo to coat the meat. The roll should be toasted. According to several I've heard from, that's a "real" lobster roll, and it's tough to not love it.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-23-2011, 03:55 AM   #18
Paulthenurse
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

SWMBO and I are pretty rabid scuba divers and are lucky enough to live here in Massacchusetts where it's legal to hunt for bugs while diving. Sometimes we do pretty well, this was the haul of a Memorial Day dive three years ago. They are loosely grouped according to size before we split up the catch between all the divers, two pounders upper left, two to four pounders on the towel next to the ice and the really big boys at the bottom

My wife has bigger balls than anyone I know, she reached under a rock 75 feet underwater and pulled out this monster male. He didn't have those rubber bands on his claws until she got him back to the boat and he was decidedly unhappy with her messing with him and tried his best to show her just how pissed off with her he was. Fortunatley for all of her bones she was faster than he was ...

When we get an enormous catch like that we call all our friends and have a feast. A 15 gallon beer keg filled to the top with bugs means lots of leftovers...

Here is Alice's recipe for leftover lobster.

Alice's Lobster Sliders

1 pound of shucked lobster meat, large chunks if possible.
2-3 ounces large sea scallops (the large ones work better than bay scallops.)
an egg white
She uses a bit of salt and pepper, I use some Old bay seasoning.

This is just the basic formula, adjust up or down (hopefully up) depending on how much lobster you have

Pulse the scallops in a food processor until its a paste, add the egg white and pulse just till incorporated. Turn it all out onto the lobster meat and mix with the seasoning (using your fingers or a spoon, NOT the food processor) until well mixed.

Pan fry in butter, turning just once. Slider size is perfect for these. I like to grill the rolls with a little butter and I add some Old Bay to some mayo and put that on top. She doesn't. My ass is three times the size of hers. Go figure. This is in NO WAY a low calorie meal but ...

The scallop and egg proteins hold the lobster together, it's a fantastic twist on an old fashioned lobster roll, which I agree should be nothing but lobster and mayo on a hot dog roll.

You can use that frozen, canned lobster meat for these. In my opinion it's just about the only thing that stuff is good for but then again I live 5 miles from the Atlantic Ocean. If I lived 500 miles away I'd make do with canned.

Enjoy.

PTN
Paulthenurse is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-23-2011, 07:24 AM   #19
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

I really do not know what to say to that post!!!! I seen some big spiny lobster here and there, but the bigger cold water lobster still get my attention.
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #20
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulthenurse View Post
A 15 gallon beer keg filled to the top with bugs means lots of leftovers...
Not if I was there!
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #21
big brother smoke

Yeah that post with all the lobsters is insane!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #22
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Yeah that post with all the lobsters is insane!
Not at all uncommon in these parts. If I am having lobstah I buy 14 to 16 just to have left overs.

@ Paulthenurse: If I get what you're sayin you are making lobstah cakes without bread crumbs. Or did I read that wrong? Sounds good but not a lobstah roll IMO. You got it right on the slider if served hot.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #23
Paulthenurse
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

True, not a lobster roll, per se. For us it's just another way to serve them. I guess you could say it's a lobster cake, but the pureed scallops and egg white are the binding agent, any mayo is just a condiment.

PTN
Paulthenurse is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #24
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulthenurse View Post
True, not a lobster roll, per se. For us it's just another way to serve them. I guess you could say it's a lobster cake, but the pureed scallops and egg white are the binding agent, any mayo is just a condiment.

PTN
Thanks for the clarification I might actually have to try that as the wife don't like mayo and loves scallops.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #25
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

O - M - G
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #26
deepsouth

i'm making these again tomorrow. i've got some beautiful local shrimp and a large lobster tail i'm going to grill. homemade mayo, paprika, a little celery, green onion, rice wine vinegar, cracked assorted peppercorns.... maybe that's it. i'll post pics when i do it.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #27
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

We had several lobster rolls last weekend. I'm still a firm believer that less is more. We use just a touch of mayo to hold things together, with big chunks of lobster meat... Toast a New England style hot dog bun, and pile on the lobster. A touch of salt and pepper is about the only other thing we'll add.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2012, 01:49 AM   #28
High Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I made a lobster roll in a crepe for the Crepe Throwdown last year. Cook thread is --> HERE

The grilling of the loster didn't add any significant flavor to the mix though it was fun. Buttered new england style hot dog buns are better than crepes too for the record but that was a fun thing to try.
"Houston is a wretched little town composed of about twenty shops, and a hundred huts, dispersed here and there, among trunks of felled trees. It is infested with methodists and ants." -Emmanuel Domenech, Catholic Missionary, 1848
High Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #29
deepsouth

i just finished making these up and since i was using shrimp and lobster, i decided to mix it up a little bit. i made some homemade mayo, some finely diced celery, green onion, old bay, cracked peppercorn medley, paprika.....

it's in the refrigerator now.... eating this for dinner.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #30
Hunterman95
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks great so far.

I'm formerly from MA. Here in MO I can't get the New England style hot dog buns. the others are just not the same.