Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
Full Fledged Farker
Default Briskett done wrong!?

I am by no means an expet at this cut of meat, but as I was browsing youtube i could not believe what i was hearing. Steven Reichlen is supposed to be this BBQ Guru, but now I wonder. First he was having his students open the door every 15 min to marinate. Cooking at 195 degrees, and saying they would take at least 10 hours. First letting all the heat out every 15 min just to Baste the meat, cooking at 195 and its done in 10 hrs.... NOT. First he was cooking with fat side up so all that basting is just putting liquid on top of the fat cap, and I have never really thought basting does any good anyway, it just evaporates away. Also every15 min, hope you have the entire day and part of the night free because your just stuck there.
Weber performer, Smokey joe, Weber go anywhere. Mini-wsm, WSM-Soon
tmehlhorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
Dallas Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

I never baste my briskets. I slow smoke them in the offset and never open the lid for hours...fat side up.
BGE large w/ lots of accessories; Lyfe Tyme offset; RED Termapen
Dallas Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 04:42 AM   #3
Found some matches.

I bought a couple of Steve Reichlen books years ago and was thoroughly disappointed. He uses a witches brew of marrinade/basting ingredients that I either can't find or can't afford. I learned to cook briskets on my own with a little internet help from a Texan.
J.R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #4
is one Smokin' Farker

i cook my brisky fat down in a pan and after the bark has formed i use a suction bulb to baste it in its own au jus. yes it does evaporate, but it prevents moisture from evaporating from within the brisky. if you were outside and hot you would start sweating and would lose moisture by sweating with keeps you body core 97.6 degrees. if you ran the water hose over you when you started to sweat then that would evaporate and your body would not have to sweat to keep itself at 98.6. but every 15 minutes is just excessive. it takes a couple hrs for bark to form at that point i will baste. the juice is already hot so i does not cool it off like a spray. then maybe one more time 1-1.5 hrs later then wrap the when the bark really should not get any darker. open maybe three times
roger. Sponsored by oakridge bbq. stumps baby with digi q 2. doublebarrel 250 gallon offset
southernstyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #5
is One Chatty Farker

I have never been impressed with Steven Reichlen
Fired Up Smokers KCBS Team, Smokey W's Pit Que NCPC Team / 2011 NCPC Whole Hog State Champion
smokeyw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
is One Chatty Farker

Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post
I have never been impressed with Steven Reichlen
I doubt anyone who "knows" bbq is.
"BBQ...it's just heat & meat" - Circa 5/10/11 - Quote by Cook
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Donny... the Pitmaster T, follow the words and the path of.... young Jedi.

Custom Klose Backyard Chef... of Snot, and a 22.5 WSM

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Originally Posted by tmehlhorn View Post
open the door every 15 min to marinate. Cooking at 195 degrees, and saying they would take at least 10 hours.
Yea, I'm gonna call BS on this guy. Sounds like he doesn't deserve to have a "class."

If you're going to baste every 15 mins, why not just throw it in a crock pot?
"Eating 'Que isn't making me fat- it's the beer I drink while lounging by the pit."
Sean "Puffy" Coals is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

I saw that before, and I wonder if he had them, the class, d do it just to have them do "something" during his class. I mean, I think he should of taught other items while the brisket was cooking... rather than have them keep basting. Seems to me the teacher was not prepared and had the class do busy work instead.

I have looked at his recipe and marinade book. Some good ideas in there, though I think he pilfered a lot of them.
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2011, 05:00 AM   #10
is One Chatty Farker

the guy kills me. he's got a rancher,okie joe,drum,& other great pits smoking up a storm in the background then he goes & cooks on a silver weber gasser or that ufo-tailgate special gasser most of the time....
Blues_n_Cues BBQ Concessions & Catering
blues_n_cues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #11
is one Smokin' Farker

was watching something on Food TV about him and his class and saw it as well. It also said his class was a couple grand to attend. So i can see it as his class is a way for higher income middle age men to "learn" to cook bbq. I think his class would be more about the overall experience for the student, not so much as learning to Q. BTW his brisket recipe is called the "Millionaire" Beef Brisket.
JAMBO Pit, 700 Club, 180 Chicken x 5, #WCO
indianagriller is offline   Reply With Quote