The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
LVBBQMan
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Which to Believe

I am in the early hours of as brisket smoke and the Maverick ET 732 says the pit is holding at 224 degrees. But the pit thermometer on my Fatboy says 280. Don't want to shut it down to check thermometers. Any recommendations on which to believe since one says i am cooking Low and Slow which is what I want and the other says I am nearing Hot and Fast?

Unread 10-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
btcg
Babbling Farker

grate temp is typically 25 or more degrees cooler from the smoker therm temp. I too, have a Backwoods.
Trust the Maverick

Oh you are NOWHERE near H & F

[FONT=Courier New][I]Proud Graduate of:[/I][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Jack's Old South BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Johnny Trigg & Rod Gray BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Paul Kirk BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
btcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

how far apart are the thermos. do you have another thermo to double check. add a pan of water to conduct the heat more evenly, maybe

Unread 10-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Well, unless you have verified either or both of them recently using boiling water, they both could be off :) I would tend to trust the Maverick since it is thermocouple based and I'm guessing that the door therm on the Fatboy is a spring type which is more likely to be off.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

When I test my Maverick it was 2 degrees off. 214 instead of 212
I would trust the Maverick IMO.

Unread 10-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

pull out the mav real quick a dunk in some boiling water. then you'll know for sure without stopping the cook.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstyle View Post
how far apart are the thermos. do you have another thermo to double check. add a pan of water to conduct the heat more evenly, maybe
He's got a backwoods with a built-in water pan. He should be fine.

it's still early, and an insulated smoker like ours (BWS) are known to take a while for temps to stabilize.

[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Johnny Trigg & Rod Gray BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]

Unread 10-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
LVBBQMan

As several predicted. the pit thermometer has dropped (in this case to 24 while the Maverick is now 229.

I have read several comments about pulling and foiling allowing the brisket to cook in its own juices the last few hours. Any recommendation as to what trigger point I should use to pull and foil?

Unread 10-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
btcg
Babbling Farker

Some go lower... me, I'd make sure I had at least 1 - 190 degree reading, if you take more than one.

Rest it a good long time, wrapped well. How long? At very least, 1 hour. 3-4 is much better.

Hard to do sometimes... as the natives get restless (and downright mean sometimes) wanting a plateful.

AND... they outright dismiss talk of "resting". Amazing how nasty your own family can get when they sense Q is on the horizion.

Unread 10-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
LVBBQMan

I am actually cooking for lunch tomorrow. Just did not want to do an all nighter. So time and rest is not an issue. But if you "let it rest", to me that would imply just letting it continue to cook using its own internal heat and juices while wrapped and not back in the oven. Is that what you were implying?

Unread 10-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #11
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Some folks foil the brisket when either the internal temp hits 160 - 165 or when the bark is the color that they want. I am in the bark color camp. When you bark is the right color lay out two sheets of heavy duty foil and put the brisket fat down on the foil. Fold up the edges of the top sheet of foil and add some beef stock or beer or ??? and then wrap it tightly. Then warp the second sheet of foil around the first, again tightly. Then put it back in the cooker until your thermometer probe goes in with little to no resistance in a few places in the flat. Since you're cooking for lunch tomorrow at this point you want to chill the brisket as quickly as possible and then refrigerate overnight.

As an alternative, you can rest the brisket once it is done for a couple of hours and then slice it and vac-u-suck the slices and reheat them in boiling water tomorrow.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #12
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You're cooking at 224. The Maverick is correct. 99.99% chance.

Unread 10-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #13
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

i foil when the berk lokks real nice usually 155- 165. if you are not used to this keep an eye on it. it will power right through the stall or maybe have a short stall, but the reward is all that goodness that is collected.

Unread 10-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

i need to slow down my typing. " bark looks real nice". sheesh!

Unread 10-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #15
Braddog
Full Fledged Farker

Theres a huge swing in temps from the lowest rack in a BWS (above the boiling water pan), to the top rack (only inches from the roof of the cooker). Unless your thermo's are in exactly the same spot, there could easily be that much variation in the temps and both could be accurate.

Cheers,
Braddog

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Fatboy (sold)
Large Big Green Egg
Bubba Keg
Braddog is offline   Reply With Quote