The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Skinless Chicken Thigh entries? Or not....

So, after reading through a bunch of chicken turn in posts today, it got me thinking... have people tried to turn in bone-in thighs without skin? If so, how did you fare in comparison to having thighs with the skin on.
jcpetro97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've had skinless thighs hit my judging table maybe a dozen times in the past five years. A couple of them were excellent entries and most of us scored them that way. A couple of them were obviously a last second decision and they looked and tasted that way - the scores pretty much reflected that, too.
I'm pretty vocal about if the skin is rubber to leave it out of the box, but unfortunately there are still those judges who will score you down for not turning in the skin - the same as some judges will ding you if you don't turn in thighs. I think that these things have to be remedied in the near future.

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 10-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

hmm.. interesting.. thanks for the info... I have prepared my thighs both ways, and I haven't decided which way I am happy with best yet, so I figured I would ask what people do. Its great to get the perspective of a judge. thanks!!

Unread 10-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
Fat Freddy
Take a breath!

I have only done a few contests, and have tried it boneless, skinless and ended up ninth in chicken, then another comp I did it was just skinless thighs and my finish was worse but my score were better than my first comp. Then the most recent comp I did I included skinand I finished middle of the pack and had a judges comment "would have been better without skin too crispy" I appreciated that comment and learned from it.

But my best scores from my comps have been bone in but skinless. Saying that I am spending all winter cooking chicken and I AM going to get it figured out.
Fat Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

Ha, sounds good Freddy.. let me know when you get that figured out. I may have to do the same... I am praying for a mild winter!!

Unread 10-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie'48 View Post
I've had skinless thighs hit my judging table maybe a dozen times in the past five years. A couple of them were excellent entries and most of us scored them that way. A couple of them were obviously a last second decision and they looked and tasted that way - the scores pretty much reflected that, too.
I'm pretty vocal about if the skin is rubber to leave it out of the box, but unfortunately there are still those judges who will score you down for not turning in the skin - the same as some judges will ding you if you don't turn in thighs. I think that these things have to be remedied in the near future.
the remedy...please.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

keep working on the skin. it helps hold int he moisture from the meat. a thigh without the skin can start to dry and form a bark. not good for texture. it has obviously worked to some degree, but i would venture not to much in the top 5 per catagory.
cook it hot and fast without scraping or low and slow with scraping.or go mid range smoke till internal is 145 then tin foil your pan. (cook in pan on a rack) hope this helps.

Unread 10-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

southern, the thing I have been struggling with, is if I take the skins completely off, I really can't get them to stay on once the chicken is done. Ie. you take a bite, and the skin doesn't want to stay, even though its bite through. ( or what I am perceiving as bite through )... NOW, if I leave the skin attached at one end, I get much better results, however, you can't trim as well when you do it this way... Catch 22 I guess. More practice for me!! My family will be pleased

Unread 10-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

a quick spray of pam pre cook in between is your friend although i never have a problem. try to finf thighs at the market that are white in color not yellow

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

hmm.. good idea.. I'll give it a shot... thanks!!

Unread 10-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
Rookie'48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie'48 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
the remedy...please.
Without trying to turn this into a campaign speech I'm going to say that I think the remedy is continuing education for the judges. Maybe something along the line of classes (on line???), seminars (on line???) or just an occasional e-mail blast on a certain aspect of judging. In another thread the OP said that his CBJ instructor said that you don't have to judge the skin - taste, yes - judge, no .
It's my belief that we can do a lot of what needs to be done on line at very little cost to KCBS while at the same time increasing the skill level of the judging pool.
Will this make all judges score exactly the same? No, and it shouldn't - but it will put all judges on the same page when we're talking about judging the chicken skin, the rib's temp or whether they got burnt ends or not.

Last edited by Rookie'48; 10-19-2011 at 10:22 PM..

Unread 10-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #12
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

As a judge I've encountered occasional skinless thighs and most of these have been pretty decent - and I rendered decent scores. I'd much rather NOT have skin on the thigh than have it so tough I can't bite through it or have it entirely come off with the first bite! The KCBS guidance is that if skin is presented on the chicken then it must be "tasted", but you better darn well believe that most judges not only judge the skin on taste, but on tenderness as well!

Education or further clarification from KCBS would be highly beneficial!

I DEFINITELY like the idea of KCBS sending out emails to judges with reminders of how to judge or what has been seen/heard lately concerning judges and judging. If nothing else, put something in the Bullsheet monthly.
OBJ - BBQCritic.com
CTC - KCBS
Pitmaster and chef - "4 Lil' Pigs" Competition BBQ Team
Author of "A 'Q' Review"
Lang Hybrid Smoker, BDS, Holland "Epic"
bbq.tom is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #13
Sawdustguy

If you can't get bite through skin you are best to turn it in without the skin. In theory you should not loose any points for turning in skinless. The judge should judge it as it is presented.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
Rookie'48

That's exactly right, Guy! Now if we can just get the word out to everyone .

Unread 10-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #15
Big Mike's BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstyle View Post
keep working on the skin. it helps hold int he moisture from the meat. a thigh without the skin can start to dry and form a bark. not good for texture. it has obviously worked to some degree, but i would venture not to much in the top 5 per catagory.
cook it hot and fast without scraping or low and slow with scraping.or go mid range smoke till internal is 145 then tin foil your pan. (cook in pan on a rack) hope this helps.
I have done 4 comps this year and turned in skinless bone in thighs. I have placed 3rd and 9th in chicken and the other 2 were way out of the money. You can either spend time practicing to get your skin right every time or practice cooking juicy thighs without skin. I prefer to go skinless. why spend all that time scrapping and then cooking only to have it fail. I prep my chicken in about 12 minutes.
Oh yeah, I got a comment card on one of my not so glorious proformances that said the skin was tough. So yes you can over cook it and create a crust.

Big Mike
Big Mike's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote