עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 10-20-2011, 12:20 AM   #1
Kenny Rogers
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 07-13-11
Location: Medical Lake, WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Spatchcock Turkey

I've been searching for info on the best way to cook a spatchcocked turkey. I have found many threads here, and there that have a little info spread out. There are a BUNCH of defunct links that everyone says "is a must" to read/watch before doing this.

At the risk of beating a dead horse (again) I would like for any suggestions for the following:

1) brine or not? Recipes please
2) rub or not? (I'm assuming the answer is yes) Recipes please?
3)foil or ice the breast? and other areas?
4)how long?
5)what's the best wood?
6)to stuff or not? with...?

And any other pertinent info I'm going to need. I'm doing a test run this weekend, so any and all guidance would be great!

Hopefully we can put together enough GREAT info, that the mods will want to make it a sticky for all for the upcoming Turkey day!!
__________________
Chad Lindsey - Medical Lake, WA; Team - LindseyQ (Yes we're on Facebook)
Kenny Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 10-20-2011, 01:29 AM   #2
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 01-02-11
Location: Smithton, MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I like to brine but when it's not convenient to brine I use my brine as an injection...works nicely!
__________________
"Everything is ok in the end...
so if everything isn't ok...
then things are lookin up...
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-20-2011, 02:09 AM   #3
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker
 
Smiter Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-05-10
Location: Austin - TX
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

My best turkey's are brined. Will not do them otherwise now. Actually.. I will not do ANY poultry not brined now.

I have not cooked one on a grill or smoker yet, but would like to soon.

I do not stuff with stuffing. Rather, I stuff with aromatics that are preheated then
put in the cavity.

For the aromatics:
1 red apple, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup water
4 sprigs rosemary
6 leaves sage
Canola oil
(though if spatching, this is moot)



Here are two brine recipes that I have done in my oven, and both are fantastic.

Hawaiian Style Turkey Brine
4 quarts pineapple juice
2 cups brown sugar
1 1/3 cups soy sauce
1 cup light maple syrup
1 cup salt (1 1/2 cups Kosher or coarse salt)
6 cloves garlic, cut into halves
4-6 whole bay leaves
2 tablespoons red pepper, crushed

Combine all ingredients. Place turkey in large container and pour brine over.
Cover and allow to brine for 1 hour per pound minimal.

------------------------------------------------------------------

This one was from the Weber Virtual Bullet site.
My GF's favorite of all time.
Apple Brine For Turkey
2 quarts apple juice
1 pound brown sugar (light or dark)
1 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
3 quarts cold water
3 oranges, quartered 4 ounces fresh ginger, unpeeled and thinly sliced
15 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
6 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
Substitute 3/4 cup Morton Kosher Salt or 1/2 cup table salt for Diamond Crystal.

Combine apple juice, brown sugar, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve. Boil for one minute, remove from heat, let mixture come to room temperature, then refrigerate to 40°F.

In a large non-reactive container, combine the apple juice mixture with the remaining ingredients. When adding the oranges, squeeze each piece to release the juice into the container, then drop in the peel.
__________________
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-20-2011, 02:23 AM   #4
hankll
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 08-06-11
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMojo View Post
I like to brine but when it's not convenient to brine I use my brine as an injection...works nicely!

Care to enlighten a little more detail about your brine injection? That sounds interesting, but wonder if it isn't too salty and couldn't you additionally add flavor at the same time.
hankll is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 10-20-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
TheBear
Full Fledged Farker
 
TheBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-28-11
Location: Ottawa, ON
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I did a spatxhcock turkey a couple of weekends ago. 12lb @400 in under 90 min. Herbed
Butter under the skin and all over the bird. I added
Some a couple of chunks of cherry wood. Next to the other turkeys at the dinner it went first :)
TheBear is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

 
aquablue22's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-26-08
Location: Ormond Beach, Florida
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I use a quarter cup of my favorite rub added to a gallon of water, just happens to be Simply Marvelous Cherry right now and brine the bird over night, add more water if you need it. Remove from brine and pat dry and then dust with more rub, both sides and then smoke using peach or cherry chunks until you get and internal temp of 160, cover and let it rest for at least 1/2 an hour. Like in the oven if the breasts start browning to fast tent it with foil. I do them all the time and just put the whole thing on a platter and let everybody dig in, always looks like the vultures got to it, nothing but a pile of bones left! Good Stuff.
__________________
Weber Spirit E-310 Gasser
1 - Big Green Egg - Large
2 - 22.5 Weber Kettles
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!

Last edited by aquablue22; 10-20-2011 at 10:37 AM..
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!
 
Pappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-09-11
Location: Granite City, Illinois (Near St. Louis "GO CARDS")
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I'm torn between making a spatchcock turkey and a whole turkey stuffed with apples & onions. I cannot decide. I plan to do one next weekend.

Turkey on the Weber Grill - YouTube
__________________
22.5 WSM, 120 Gallon Offset, Weber Performer, IQ-110, ET-732
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 10-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
NorthwestBBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-09
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Rogers View Post
I've been searching for info on the best way to cook a spatchcocked turkey. I have found many threads here, and there that have a little info spread out. There are a BUNCH of defunct links that everyone says "is a must" to read/watch before doing this.

At the risk of beating a dead horse (again) I would like for any suggestions for the following:

1) brine or not? Recipes please
2) rub or not? (I'm assuming the answer is yes) Recipes please?
3)foil or ice the breast? and other areas?
4)how long?
5)what's the best wood?
6)to stuff or not? with...?

And any other pertinent info I'm going to need. I'm doing a test run this weekend, so any and all guidance would be great!

Hopefully we can put together enough GREAT info, that the mods will want to make it a sticky for all for the upcoming Turkey day!!
How can you stuff a spatchcocked Turkey?
__________________
Michael
KCBS/PNWBA
Custom Engraved Wine Barrel Lids

"Hold on, if love is the answer you're home" - Daft Punk

Last edited by NorthwestBBQ; 10-20-2011 at 11:06 AM..
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
Kenny Rogers
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 07-13-11
Location: Medical Lake, WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
How can you stuff a spatchcocked Turkey?
Well that's a darn good questions NW BBQ... I have no idea. However, I'm quite confident that if there were a way, the brethren of the forum would figure it out!
__________________
Chad Lindsey - Medical Lake, WA; Team - LindseyQ (Yes we're on Facebook)
Kenny Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 10-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker
 
hamiltont's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-24-10
Location: Kearney, NE
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
How can you stuff a spatchcocked Turkey?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Rogers View Post
Well that's a darn good questions NW BBQ... I have no idea. However, I'm quite confident that if there were a way, the brethren of the forum would figure it out!
Well, if I was to stuff a spatchcocked turkey I'd spatchcock it, stuff it, roll it up and tie it with a string and put in the smoker for my baby & me. Sorry I was on a roll.... Cheers!!!
__________________
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!
hamiltont is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
NorthwestBBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-09
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Rogers View Post
Well that's a darn good questions NW BBQ... I have no idea. However, I'm quite confident that if there were a way, the brethren of the forum would figure it out!
__________________
Michael
KCBS/PNWBA
Custom Engraved Wine Barrel Lids

"Hold on, if love is the answer you're home" - Daft Punk
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #12
leanza
Babbling Farker

 
leanza's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-26-07
Location: Southern California
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankll View Post
Care to enlighten a little more detail about your brine injection? That sounds interesting, but wonder if it isn't too salty and couldn't you additionally add flavor at the same time.
Try a dry brine. Cooking would be the same as any bird with the only difference in the approach being the type of cooker you use.

Ive done it with great success running at, I think about, 280* until the internal temp of the breast meat is around 161*-165*.

http://bandera-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=97304

http://bandera-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=97467
__________________
Tom
leanza is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 10-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #13
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!
 
Pappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-09-11
Location: Granite City, Illinois (Near St. Louis "GO CARDS")
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
How can you stuff a spatchcocked Turkey?
I don't think you can. The apples & onion are for the whole turkey. Like in the video.

You could sew 2 spatchcocks together and stuff that.
Stuffed Spatchcock Frankin-Turkey
__________________
22.5 WSM, 120 Gallon Offset, Weber Performer, IQ-110, ET-732
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 10-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #14
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 04-22-11
Location: Cleveland, OH
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiter Q View Post
My best turkey's are brined. Will not do them otherwise now. Actually.. I will not do ANY poultry not brined now.

I have not cooked one on a grill or smoker yet, but would like to soon.

I do not stuff with stuffing. Rather, I stuff with aromatics that are preheated then
put in the cavity.

For the aromatics:
1 red apple, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup water
4 sprigs rosemary
6 leaves sage
Canola oil
(though if spatching, this is moot)



Here are two brine recipes that I have done in my oven, and both are fantastic.

Hawaiian Style Turkey Brine
4 quarts pineapple juice
2 cups brown sugar
1 1/3 cups soy sauce
1 cup light maple syrup
1 cup salt (1 1/2 cups Kosher or coarse salt)
6 cloves garlic, cut into halves
4-6 whole bay leaves
2 tablespoons red pepper, crushed

Combine all ingredients. Place turkey in large container and pour brine over.
Cover and allow to brine for 1 hour per pound minimal.

------------------------------------------------------------------

This one was from the Weber Virtual Bullet site.
My GF's favorite of all time.
Apple Brine For Turkey
2 quarts apple juice
1 pound brown sugar (light or dark)
1 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
3 quarts cold water
3 oranges, quartered 4 ounces fresh ginger, unpeeled and thinly sliced
15 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
6 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
Substitute 3/4 cup Morton Kosher Salt or 1/2 cup table salt for Diamond Crystal.

Combine apple juice, brown sugar, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve. Boil for one minute, remove from heat, let mixture come to room temperature, then refrigerate to 40°F.

In a large non-reactive container, combine the apple juice mixture with the remaining ingredients. When adding the oranges, squeeze each piece to release the juice into the container, then drop in the peel.
i noticed much of this is directly out of good eats romancing the bird episode because i just watched it :). have you tried the cranberry dipping sauce he makes. it looks really interesting and delicious and i am wondering how it is on the turkey
__________________
Mark...UDS, 22.5 weber knock-off kettle, gasser. GO BROWNS!!!
dealm9 is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 10-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #15
yelonutz
is one Smokin' Farker
 
yelonutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-02-07
Location: Chico, Ca
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
How can you stuff a spatchcocked Turkey?
You put the stuffing between the breast skin and the breast meat (where the lemons are in my avatar). Keep it to a thin layer. Works great.

NUTZ
__________________
Weber Smokey Mountain 18 & 22.5 in
Gator Pit Trailer mount
MAK 2 Star General Pellet Pooper
Medium Green Egg
Mini Green Egg
New Black stoker with built in wi-fi
KCBS CBJ #20258
Drunk Uncles BBQ Team, Ruining Family Gatherings for Over 20 Years.

DAMN IT ANDY!!
yelonutz is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
spatchcock turkey capri man Q-talk 15 10-01-2011 05:52 PM
Spatchcock Turkey Riverside BBQ Q-talk 2 09-29-2011 12:22 PM
Spatchcock Turkey - anyone tried it? KSims1868 Q-talk 9 08-27-2010 05:37 PM
Spatchcock Turkey? Beerwolf Q-talk 11 05-26-2009 04:22 PM
spatchcock turkey? eagle697 Q-talk 3 03-09-2009 06:19 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.