My smoke rig w/ pictures

jbcain

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
After pricing commercial smokers and calling private builders and even pricing raw material to build it myself, I finally decided to contract Craig Bell of BellFab to fulfill my purchase. But as you'll see, I couldn't leave well enough alone...
rig.jpg

As you can see the handle is a 1"tubing and pretty long to gain leverage... but honestly, leveraging 1,000lbs is a little absurd without a forklift or something. I endured the BS of moving this thing around a few times and decided to add a double wheeled pivoting trailer jack to the middle of the handle. This proved to be pretty usefull in that I felt as if I was utilizing about 1/5 the strength to mobilize this beast. After a few moves with the jack in place the reciever end of the handle's slot start bending in front of the gusset. This isn't a normal issue for Craig's smokers but my picky ass wanted 3/8" tube and 1/2" firebox... ya, heavy! So I devised a plan and here's what I came up with:

Some welding...
build1.jpg

Some plasma cutting... (love this toy)

build2.jpg

and voila...

build3.jpg

a multi-height double caster (300lbs each) setup that I can adjust to center or front depending on the need (they have to be out in front when I winch it onto trailer)

build4.jpg

And store them high when not in use. You can kinda see the extra gusset I added to the handle receiver too (1" tubing)

smokin.jpg

Tis a thing of beauty! Now let's see her with the doors wide open and give us a little more detail about the guts!

My meat pictures give it away a little. I have also added some other gizzys to help get some real big things in there :) Next, I'm adding a rottisseri (I'm drunk and that spelling still looks horribly wrong, oh well!) that will go perpendicular to the cook chamber, we'll see how that works out.

Nice looking smoker! How big is the cook chamber and firebox?

That my friend is definitely a work of art. Would love to hear and see more. :thumb:

Back