ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Does a rib rack change anything?

I'm going to use my WSM 18.5 for the first comp of the year to cook ribs. I'll need to use a rib rack (I think) to cook "enough" ribs for turn-in. I've never used one before. What - if anything - will I need to different? Can someone recommend a good rack? Thanks, Brethren!
WSM 18.5
Smokey Joe Silver
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
MilitantSquatter

won't change much from an overall cook perspective unless you plan to wrap them in foil and include liquids in the foil... Depending on your usual cook methods, what will happen when standing them up is all the liquid will fall to the bottom end of the rib.

If you wrap, when they are wrapped you may want to consider stacking them.. If your rib rack is narrow it may fit the unfoiled ribs OK, but if you wrap multiple layers and don't wrap tightly, it may be a challenge to get in and out of the slots.

I haven't used rib racks in a long time, but I used to prefer the ones that are rectangular support rather than ones that came to a triangular tip support as those can make it easier to curl and flop on the rib behind it

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

I used my rack yesterday when cooking six HUGE slabs of pork ribs. I used it only because this much meat covered my entire grill area, and with my offset, if I put meat right up against the smoker barrel fire, that meat will tend to get charred.

So, it wasn't that I didn't technically have the room to lay them all out. I chose to use the rack to distance the meat from the fire.
tortaboy is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
AD18
Knows what a fatty is.

Agree with the points above. I got a Broil King rib rack this past summer and really like it. Heavy gauge contruction and holds various sizes of ribs very well.

http://www.broilkingbbq.com/accessor...t-support.html

Although the ribs are rather wimp sized in my opinion.

Unread 02-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
BillywannaQ
Full Fledged Farker

Check out the acts from Southern Steamers. More pricey, but well worth it. Make sure they'll fit in your WSM.
BillywannaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2012, 03:31 AM   #6
RevZiLLa
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
won't change much from an overall cook perspective unless you plan to wrap them in foil and include liquids in the foil... Depending on your usual cook methods, what will happen when standing them up is all the liquid will fall to the bottom end of the rib.

If you wrap, when they are wrapped you may want to consider stacking them.. If your rib rack is narrow it may fit the unfoiled ribs OK, but if you wrap multiple layers and don't wrap tightly, it may be a challenge to get in and out of the slots.

I haven't used rib racks in a long time, but I used to prefer the ones that are rectangular support rather than ones that came to a triangular tip support as those can make it easier to curl and flop on the rib behind it
Stacking after wrapping is great advice

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
mr dirts bbq
Full Fledged Farker

yes go with square/rectangle racks, MS is right about curling and flopping against the next rack, walmart & home depot sells the cheap char broil ones for about 7-8 bucks, have fun cleaning them!
charbroil offset, custom trailer pit, 46" vermont castings gasser, 18" kettle, big poppa smokers engineered drum kit smoker than was never picked up = NEW TOY! and last but not least: a never ending 20' comp trailer project
mr dirts bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Here's what I use to provide extra grate space in the 18.5" WSM

On top of the upper grate I use a 17 3/4" steam rack. It just fits under the dome.
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/...4/p366851.aspx

On top of that I also use a 12 3/4" steam rack.
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/...4/p366849.aspx

On top of the lower grate I also use the 12 3/4" steam rack whcih leaves you enough space around the perimeter to be able to lower it in and retrieve it as well. I haven't done it yet, but I think I can also place anothet 12 3/4" rack on top of the one on the lower grate giving me a total of 6 racks in the WSM, allowing me to do 12 racks of ribs at once, all flat, in a single WSM. The spread legs on the steam racks will span two racks of ribs.

These steam racks are really great quality, hold up to high heat (I sometimes burn them off in my gasser), and are inexpensive.

They also come in real handy for doing multiple racks of things like wings or MOINK balls.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
CUErious
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

These grates from timscardz look ideal! Very affordable almost disposable. However, I'd be concerned with juices dripping on ribs below. Ultimately you're looking to create a nice bark on the ribs, too much moisture may prevent that (on bottom rack of ribs). I've been in the same situation and have put very thin narrow drip pan between each rack. You could go with a round pizza pan, but I like keep the smoke circulating in between the ribs (on top level).

So I have 2-3 ribs on one grate, two thin rectangular (log shaped) drip pans on the next grate another grate on top with ribs. This protects the ribs below.
CUErious is offline   Reply With Quote