The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
Killersmoke
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Brined and Wrapped?

Hey guys just wondering what you all do with your pulled pork. What I typically do is cook at 225-250 for 4 hours or so than wrap in saran wrap and tinfoil and cook the rest in the oven.

I know some of you must use this similar method my question is do you guys wrap your butts in saran directly on the meat or just use it as a cover in what tray your cooking it in. Also I know there are threads out there talking about brining your butts but with this method is it necessary? Does it help with moisture? Thanks for your input!
Killersmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

Brining butts? I know a lot of people inject them but I don't think many people brine them.

Unread 10-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
Oldschoolbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Killer, it beats me as to why anyone would brine a Butt!Doesn't need it,and when left in the smoker till it's done will give you better Bark.

This is what works for me; I start by developing a nice Ember Bed to cook with and add little pieces of wood as needed.

I hold my temp at 225*f and DO NOT OPEN the LID of MY SMOKER until my calculated time is done.I then pull on the bone and if it slides out easily I will then wrap in foil and rest a few minutes.

As for the wrapping, do the meat not the pan, or all your juices will leak out , then wrap with foil and go on about the way you do.The plastic will not melt with the foil over it,so onward...

Unread 10-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
Hoss
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killersmoke View Post
Hey guys just wondering what you all do with your pulled pork. What I typically do is cook at 225-250 for 4 hours or so than wrap in saran wrap and tinfoil and cook the rest in the oven.

I know some of you must use this similar method my question is do you guys wrap your butts in saran directly on the meat or just use it as a cover in what tray your cooking it in. Also I know there are threads out there talking about brining your butts but with this method is it necessary? Does it help with moisture? Thanks for your input!
Why do yo not cook it til it is done on the cooker/smoker????
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
Killersmoke
Got Wood.

I typically do the butt all the way on the smoker but for things like farmers markets and fairs that I have to feed people by 9 I typically will smoke from 8-midnight than put in oven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
Why do yo not cook it til it is done on the cooker/smoker????

Unread 10-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Killersmoke
Got Wood.

So do you typically not wrap your butts with seran? If you did would your wrap it in seran and put back in the smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschoolbbq View Post
Killer, it beats me as to why anyone would brine a Butt!Doesn't need it,and when left in the smoker till it's done will give you better Bark.

This is what works for me; I start by developing a nice Ember Bed to cook with and add little pieces of wood as needed.

I hold my temp at 225*f and DO NOT OPEN the LID of MY SMOKER until my calculated time is done.I then pull on the bone and if it slides out easily I will then wrap in foil and rest a few minutes.

As for the wrapping, do the meat not the pan, or all your juices will leak out , then wrap with foil and go on about the way you do.The plastic will not melt with the foil over it,so onward...

Unread 10-14-2011, 04:56 AM   #7
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I have never felt the need to brine a butt and I always let them go on the smoker until they are done, creates great bark that when pulled mixes in the tender stuff for great flavor.
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
2 - Super FAST, Super ACCURATE Green Thermapen1 splashproof)

"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, your best friend will be sitting right beside you on the bench saying "What a Ride!" WooHoo
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-14-2011, 05:13 AM   #8
Al Czervik
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue22 View Post
I have never felt the need to brine a butt and I always let them go on the smoker until they are done, creates great bark that when pulled mixes in the tender stuff for great flavor.
What AB22 said...

Traeger 075,Weber Performer,Weber Genesis Silver Gasser, Special Edition "Goose" ET-732 Thermometer,Limited Edition Neutrino Fast Blue Thermopen
Zero Club Member qualifying in the 2011 Special Summer of Spam TD with the Coveted Double Ought...
(\__/)
(='.'=) Merry Christmas... Chitter was full!
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #9
captndan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue22 View Post
Passed by unanimous vote. KISS
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brining, pulled pork