The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Default Dougherty's Wings? Tips? How Hot?

Gonna try these wings on Saturday and since I've never used Walkerswood Jerk seasoning, I'm wondering just how hot they'll be. How hot compared to "regular" jerk chicken that's marinaded with the same stuff overnight?

Anyone have any tips? And does anyone know if measuring at the vent is ok for getting "280-300*"? Just wanted to be somewhere in the ballpark regarding the "3 hr" estimated timeframe.

Any tips would be great. I love wings, and I'm looking forward to these. I got a big pack from Sam's that probably has thirty or so in it, so it'll make quite a pile on the kettle.

http://greenleafbbq.wordpress.com/20...on-the-planet/

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

PM Groundhog 66, he loves his wings, he is the master of them, and I know he will share all his knowledge with you.

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks, Dave. Will do. The technique looks like an efficient and tasty way to cook a lot of wings on a kettle.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
TheGingaNinja
Found some matches.

I had smoked wings at dinosaur BBQ in New York and have been trying to duplicate them ever since. I've found that a 4 hour smoke at around 225 with some apple wood and your favorite rub is FRIGGIN AMAZING. have fun
TheGingaNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

I love some low-n-slow smoked chicken, but unless I missed it, don't even think the recipe in queastion mentioned woodsmoke. Of course, unless told otherwise I'd probably use some applewood, anyway.

The recipe involves cooking a BIG PILE of wings at at or almost 300* for roughly three hours to get 'em tender but keep 'em moist. The flavor is added by basting every half an hour when tearing down the stack and re-stacking. Sounds like a good technique to me and I'm looking forward to trying it.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Well, I take it not many folks have tried these.

They weren't hot, but they were really good. The beer and the brown sugar with the jerk was a fine baste, but the only thing I might try would be to get more jerk flavor going by marinading or putting more in the baste.

This recipe is simply a great way to cook a BUNCH of wings, and nothing but Kbb gave 'em a nice smoke flavor, surprisingly, even though they all were piled up. Never noticed smoke flavor like this with lump alone, so that was something nice to learn.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
Skidder
Babbling Farker

If your anyone who loves wings like I do these are our favorites.
http://thehogblog.com/?p=1062#more-1062
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks, Skidder. I'll definately try it. The dougherty wings are a very good recipe for cooking a lot of wings with little fuss on a kettle, but I wouldn't call 'em "hot wings". Very good, though, but that APL recipe is along the lines of something I've been wanting to try. Want to get 'em down before my son gets home from Ft. Benning. He loves hot wings. Thanks again for the link!

Old 10-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
bbqbuff
Got Wood.

Those APL wings look good.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #10
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Russell View Post

They weren't hot, but they were really good. The beer and the brown sugar with the jerk was a fine baste, but the only thing I might try would be to get more jerk flavor going by marinading or putting more in the baste.

This recipe is simply a great way to cook a BUNCH of wings, and nothing but Kbb gave 'em a nice smoke flavor, surprisingly, even though they all were piled up. Never noticed smoke flavor like this with lump alone, so that was something nice to learn.
Yep, it is amazing how good these things really are, and so easy to do. I've also used different flavor profiles, other than the jerk, with great success. Good stuff.

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-17-2011, 12:23 AM   #11
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ PD View Post
PM Groundhog 66, he loves his wings, he is the master of them, and I know he will share all his knowledge with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Russell View Post

Sorry for the late reply to your PM, I was out of town for 4 days. I am really glad to hear you were happy with your results

Backwoods Party G2
XL, L, SM BGE's
2016 MAK 1 Star
Brick Santa Maria Fire Pit
22" OTG Weber Kettle & a Nice Old Redhead

Brisket UN-appreciation Thread
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote