The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-15-2005, 01:13 PM   #1
sigmasmokers
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Results are in!

Well, for my 4th contest, I experienced my 1st cookoff with Heavy Thunderstorms all night Friday night. So, Friday night, we got our meat on and while standing in a foot of water, dodging lightning, we had to hold our tents down with one arm, while drinking a cold beer with the other. Quite a night. Anyway, there ended up being 60 teams in the contest with some pretty big names. I am pretty pleased with the results. I thought I had turned in some pretty good chicken but the judges did not think so. I think it was about 20th. Then I turned in ribs, which I thought we too tender but once again the judges did not think so. I finished 3rd in ribs. I was pretty happy with the pork which placed 10th and then the thorn in my side(Brisket) finished 20th. It was pretty darn good though. I guess I have not tasted championship brisket so I really have no idea what I am up against. So, when the final results were in, me and my 2 man team, excluding my kids that you will see in the pics, my 2 WSM and my Dera finished 8th place overall. I'll take that. Thanks for all of the words of wisdom and words of advice. By the way, I was going to take pictures of my turn ins, but being so new at all of this, I was getting a little stressed from about 11:30 - 1:30 and forgot. In the pics I do have, I am the shorter one of the dynamic duo and it is my OL and Kiddos in the pics.

Steve

Modified Bandera,2 WSMs
sigmasmokers is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2005, 01:15 PM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Great show under some trying circumstances!!!!

WELL DONE!

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2005, 01:16 PM   #3
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

8th in 60 team field is a great competition!
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2005, 01:20 PM   #4
sigmasmokers

Default chicken turn

I guess my wife did take a picture of the chicken I turned in. You judges give me your opinion on what I should change for next time. Here were my scores in everything.

Chicken 23rd Place
978 988 898 877 765 778

Ribs 3rd Place
989 789 899 899 689 699

Pork 10th Place
888 899 876 978 787 698

Brisket 28th Place
867 746 668 888 877 998

Steve

Modified Bandera,2 WSMs
sigmasmokers is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Congrats on a pretty impressive job. You scored higher than all but 7 people you competed against in bad conditions. I noticed you mentioned you did manage to drink a beer while hold down the tents, GOOD JOB.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2005, 02:30 PM   #6
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Excellent showing my friend! 2-9s, 2-8s, 2-7s in appearance in chicken, was nothing but personal preference. Looks like top 10 chicken to me. Only suggestion I would make is to trim your thighs to where they are the same size, cook 18-20 of them, and choose the 6 most uniform in size.

Your brisket scores were all over the place, (like we haven't experience that ourselves) I'd like to see a pic of that turn in if possible.

Great job brother!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2005, 04:26 PM   #7
dxesmkr

Congrats on a great finish!!!!!!!!

The chicken presentation also looks great.The only thing I might have done(hard to say just looking at a picture) would be push the parsley down more(in between the pieces) so the chicken would be the center focus.Cause thats some good lookin' chicken!If I'm dealing with smaller thighs I usually will put eight in a box.Kick is right about the uniformity in chicken pieces.

Judges are all over the board with scores.I think there really needs be a crack down on the way some judges score.Its mainly the inexperince of new judges that flood the bbq circuit every year.For example, this weekend in ribs: 988, 989, 688, 775, 978, 335.....Everything is pretty close except for judge #6.Whats up with that???? That's the norm here lately with the scoring.

Willy T.

"Its better to give someone a hand than just a finger."
dxesmkr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2005, 04:43 PM   #8
chad

Congrats.

Sounds like a typical competition weekend - weather and all!!

Good showing.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2005, 04:45 PM   #9
racer_81
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxesmkr

The chicken presentation also looks great.The only thing I might have done(hard to say just looking at a picture) would be push the parsley down more(in between the pieces) so the chicken would be the center focus.Cause thats some good lookin' chicken!If I'm dealing with smaller thighs I usually will put eight in a box.Kick is right about the uniformity in chicken pieces.

Judges are all over the board with scores.I think there really needs be a crack down on the way some judges score.Its mainly the inexperince of new judges that flood the bbq circuit every year.For example, this weekend in ribs: 988, 989, 688, 775, 978, 335.....Everything is pretty close except for judge #6.Whats up with that???? That's the norm here lately with the scoring.

Willy T.
Maybe judge #6 is a vegetarian.......

Unread 05-15-2005, 06:50 PM   #10
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

Willy T.
Judge 6 didn't hurt you, judge 4 did his score counted.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2005, 08:11 PM   #11
Samichlaus
is one Smokin' Farker

Good lookin' kids, Good lookin' chicken,

Great Job!

Congrats!
Samichlaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2005, 08:29 PM   #12
dxesmkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
Quote:

Willy T.
Judge 6 didn't hurt you, judge 4 did his score counted.
Hey Jim,
I know judge 6 wasn't scored, I just hate my low score was wasted on a bad call.It could of possibly been judge 4 being the low score any other time.Another example.....Last year we finished 2nd in pork at Union,SC contest.Here's the numbers.....887,887,725,877,888,898.Judge 3 was way outta whack.From the score he gave in taste they should have spit it out. But what really got my attention is when I looked through the other pork scores.My number was a total of 14 from that judge.Loooking over the other team numbers I saw five other judge 3 scores in the low teens.It may just have been coincidence.
Don't get me wrong,I'm not using this as a excuse for this past weekend. Cause I can tell you everything "I" did wrong to attribute to my finish this weekend . I just think there is alot of inexperienced judges.Nothing is more disheartning than too hear judges after judging say" We didn't have anything worth a dang today".

Just my opinion.Not mad in the least,
Willy T.

"Its better to give someone a hand than just a finger."
dxesmkr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2005, 08:55 PM   #13
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

Wow, fourth comp you said? I'd be crowin'!

Many grats for that. It's too bad you don't get your scoresheets back like we do when we compete in the home brewing arena. Then you'd have something definite to work on.

Again, great job!

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-16-2005, 12:55 AM   #14
parrothead

Nice to see some pics! gOOD JOB OVERALL.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-16-2005, 03:06 AM   #15
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Congratulations on a job well done.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote