The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Modern Technology, Smoking and KCBS

With all the computer controlled stokers, instant read digital thermometers, etc. currently allowed by KCBS rules, what's the deal with not cooking with gas or electric?

I've heard a lot of people wondering why KCBS is so freaked out about gas and electric.... I don't give a hoot how your heat is produced, if you can't cook, gas or electric ain't gonna help! I choose to smoke and grill primarily with wood or charcoal, but sometimes in the interest of speed and time, I use gas for grilling. Let people use anything they want, if the appearance/flavor/tenderness doesn't stand up to what wood or charcoal can produce, they won't be using gas/electric long.

Unread 10-13-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I think KCBS requires wood and charcoal to separate itself from the average backyard cook thowing a few burgers on the grill. Even with computer controllers, wood and charcoal requires a little more thought and understanding than gas. My stoker controlled offset still requires the fire to be built in a certain way to work well. Even a pellet smoker raises questions about what blend of pellets to use, the ratio of fuel to flavor wood, etc.
www.teamzbq.com

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wow, this came up early this year… Normally this is brought out in December… lol

OK, some one go and wake up Skip…..
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 10-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

And what about solar?

"Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and
electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or
holding."

Solar is not a fire, so by the rule it is not required to be of wood, etc., and it is not specifically prohibited like gas and electric.

When the sun comes up in the morning, point your solar oven towards the sun, and put your meat in it to hold it or finish cooking it. Legal, or not?

In line with the first post, at this point why not allow any heat source?

If wood/charcoal is so much better, than what is the worry?

If wood/charcoal will beat gsas and elecrtic every time, then why not let them pay an entry fee to donate to the prize pool?

It would certainly simplify the rules, and stop people from trying to find technicalities to get around them.

If you can make better Q with a microwave, then go for it!

The rule would read like this: "Cooking shall be to a safe temperature with any heat source(s)."

Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Definition of BBQ from Wikipedia

Barbecue or barbeque (common spelling variant)[1] (with abbreviations BBQ, Bar-B-Q and Barbie), used chiefly in the United States, Canada, the UK, New Zealand and Australia (called Braai in South Africa) is a method and apparatus for cooking meat, poultry and occasionally fish with the heat and hot smoke of a fire, smoking wood, or hot coals of charcoal.
The term as a noun can refer to the meat, the cooking apparatus itself (the "Barbecue grill" or simply "Barbecue") or to a party that includes such food or such preparation methods. The term as an adjective can refer to foods cooked by this method. The term is also used as a verb for the act of cooking food in this manner.
Barbecue is usually done in an outdoor environment by cooking and smoking the meat over wood or charcoal. Restaurant barbecue may be cooked in large brick or metal ovens specially designed for that purpose.
Barbecue has numerous regional variations in many parts of the world.

Ant Mention of Electric or Gas? Nope

Game Set Match

Neil

Unread 10-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Enough said!
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree, bring on the electric and gas. 4 hours in the smoker, wrap and put in the Alto Sham. Convection oven chicken!

Now where did I put that toaster oven?

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
pigmaker23
is one Smokin' Farker

END THE MADNESS NOW !!! LOL way to early for this old topic to come up
Meadowcreek PR -72 Trailer
pigmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

While I agree with the sentiment that at the end of the day the best product should win, no matter how it was produced, I think that we as a collective group of barbeque enthusiasts need to do what we can to preserve the traditions of authentic barbeque. Barbeque is not something that can be made in an oven or crockpot and while there are some decent electric and gas units that produce some solid que it is our duty to embrace tradition and defend what is really the only truly authentic American cuisine.

I started smoking on a gasser, and it served me well, but leave the gas and electric smokers to the backyard and restaurants. The highest level of competition que should be cooked with wood, fire and smoke!

Unread 10-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmaker23 View Post
END THE MADNESS NOW !!! LOL way to early for this old topic to come up
ClayHill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork View Post
Definition of BBQ from Wikipedia

Barbecue or barbeque (common spelling variant)[1] (with abbreviations BBQ, Bar-B-Q and Barbie), used chiefly in the United States, Canada, the UK, New Zealand and Australia (called Braai in South Africa) is a method and apparatus for cooking meat, poultry and occasionally fish with the heat and hot smoke of a fire, smoking wood, or hot coals of charcoal.
The term as a noun can refer to the meat, the cooking apparatus itself (the "Barbecue grill" or simply "Barbecue") or to a party that includes such food or such preparation methods. The term as an adjective can refer to foods cooked by this method. The term is also used as a verb for the act of cooking food in this manner.
Barbecue is usually done in an outdoor environment by cooking and smoking the meat over wood or charcoal. Restaurant barbecue may be cooked in large brick or metal ovens specially designed for that purpose.
Barbecue has numerous regional variations in many parts of the world.

Ant Mention of Electric or Gas? Nope

Game Set Match

Neil
Wikipedia is the VERY FIRST place i go for an accurate, definitive answer... NOT!

Unread 10-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #12
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by huminie View Post
While I agree with the sentiment that at the end of the day the best product should win, no matter how it was produced, I think that we as a collective group of barbeque enthusiasts need to do what we can to preserve the traditions of authentic barbeque.
OK, "let's preserve the traditions of authentic barbeque."

Thanks from: --->
Unread 10-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #13
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_A View Post
Wikipedia is the VERY FIRST place i go for an accurate, definitive answer... NOT!
Fine

Ok, I was just trying to end the same arguement that comes up every 6 months on the forum. Look at any definition of BBQ and it says wood or charcoal.

The true reason we don't cook on these things is because that is not how real men (and real women) cook BBQ. The BBQ Gods appeared to the first humans and gave them meat. When the first man came out of the cave and looked upon that poor little piggie that fell into a flaming pit of coals, smelled that sweet bacony smell of roasting pork fat, then grabbed his obsidian knife cut into and savored the juicy cooked swine flesh, it was not plugged into the cave wall. When the Carribean and Polyneasian tribes cooked succulent whole hogs burried under mounds of banana and palm leaves, it was not with a burner and propane tank. BBQ is cooked over wood, be it Logs, Charcoal, or (please BBQ Gods don't strike me down for saying this) pellets (shudder) they are all made of wood. Traditions are Traditions, you have to draw a line in the sand and no gas and no electric is that line. If you want to disrespect the BBQ Gods go ahead, but I value my soul. If you want to cook on these mediums go right ahead, but go form the GEBS (Gas and Electric BBQ Society), please stick to wood...do it for the piggies

Unread 10-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #14
TEAM PIG IRON
Got Wood.

Im not a seasoned pro... but let me say this... I cook with a stick burner ... no electric... no gas.. and its a contest of know how... anyone can plug in and make a decision about what pellets to use... or what temp to cook at... the skill and knowledge to hold our cookers at temp without gadgets to assist you is old school cooking... lets keep it to just wood and charcoal ... keep the treagers and such at home ... all im saying
TEAM PIG IRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_A View Post
OK, "let's preserve the traditions of authentic barbeque."

These would both be legal methods to cook (although the organizer might not like you digging holes on their grounds). But if raised up, there is no reason why you couldn't cook this way. In fact I have seen someone at a contest cooking over an open fire...Johnny Rotisserie.

But tradition doesn't have to mean the very first way something was done. Traditions can evolve over time. Maybe someday gas and electric will be considered traditional. We aren't there yet.