The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Best way to transport ribs overseas?

So, the biggest fans of my 'que (my niece and nephew) now live overseas and have been hankering for some ribs and mac n cheese. My brother-in-law will be visiting next week and the plan is for me to send some 'que for them in his suitcase.

I'm not so sure how this plan will work, but I was thinking of smoking the ribs this weekend and then freezing them. Will pack in one of those hot/cold insulated mylar bags and then pack them in the suitcase. Travel time will be about 24 hours, which includes about a 7hr layover. My sister says that a friend of hers transported a pork loin in this manner and it was fine.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of operation? I was thinking of calling the TSA to see if dry ice would be allowed in a suitcase going overseas.
EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | Ladybug SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with red nipples | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | Simpsons OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | LBGE | sbge | mini bge
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
davet54
Full Fledged Farker

Wrap inzip lock,then,foil,then newspaper. Lasts long timelike that,have done tamales like that.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
tipoftex
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I was told by UPS that there is a minimum of 5lbs of Dry ice allowed on a plane and the shipping container must have holes in it so that the gasses created can escape. Keep in mind that a pork loin is more dense which should stay frozen longer. I wound up shipping 80lbs of ribs & pork butt to the Royal packed in just ice, inside an igloo ice chest 2nd Day Air. I am guessing that the ice chest sat upright most of the time because when I got to it 3 days later, it was still 1/2 filled with ice and cold water. Meat was thawed but still ice cold. The ice chest was heavily sealed with clear packing tape. I would recommend vacuum sealing for the trip!
tipoftex is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

You have to check with the customs agency from the country that you are visiting, there may be bans on importing meat. I had my lunch confiscated by US customs once coming from Canada. It was a roast beef sandwich and an orange. Crazy as it sounds, throw reason out the window.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

what they said above about customs and regulations. I have had no luck freezing ribs. They always taste awful. I would cook them and chill them, but not freeze them. Put in ziplock bag(s) in a cooler with dry ice. Should be good for a few days.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
Cook
is One Chatty Farker

It's a good idea to call customs. Whatever you decide, always declare the food when asked! It'll go over much better if you're straightforward with it. Cooked meat generally isn't much of an issue. It's raw meat & vegetables that typically get you in trouble.

I'd freeze the racks of ribs together in a pile...vac sealed if possible. The larger mass will stay frozen longer. I'd also keep them in a deep freezer until the last minute unless you go the dry ice route. Keeping them in the middle of a bunch of clothes should insulate them pretty well.

Unread 10-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the info!. I ordered some freezer cube sheets (made out of water not the blue stuff) which may be less complicated than dry ice. Dry ice needs to be declared to the airline etc but supposedly can be taken even in a carryon if it is less than 5lbs. Plan is to freeze, wrap in the ice cube sheets, wrap with newspaper, put in the insulated bag and then bury it in clothes for insulation.

Folks on the other hand have strict instructions to throw it all away if there are any funky smells.

US customs can be quite finicky, other countries' customs are not necessarily, so I'l hope for the best.
EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | Ladybug SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with red nipples | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | Simpsons OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | LBGE | sbge | mini bge

Unread 10-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
GARNAAL
Take a breath!

that sounds a bit overdone to me..

they have no pigs or butchers overseas ??

just send them a couple of bottles of BBQ sauce and some rub...??
GARNAAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
daninnewjersey
is One Chatty Farker

While not overseas, I've sent ribs with a few people and they did fine after 24 hours of travel.

Freeze them wrapped in plastic wrap (after they've cooled a bit) just until they start getting hard (or until they won't seep when vacu-sucked). Then, wrap tightly in a few layers of newspaper and tape tightly. Then, vacu-suck the whole thing and freeze it well. Then, put the whole thing in one of those collapsible insulated bags and keep it in the middle of the clothes in the suitcase. I'd strongly suggest not fooling around with dry ice. Too much possibility of someone saying "no way...not on this plane....."

Unread 10-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
Murray in N.Z.
On the road to being a farker

If they is coming to New Zealand they will be confiscated at the border and carrier will get $$$ fine!! certain same thing applies to Oztralia.
Best to check up with embassy or border control of destination countrybefore y'all go and waste time and money. Look online, a few minutes innernet time could save heaps of heartache at other end.
Regds
Muzza
Murray in N.Z. is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARNAAL View Post
that sounds a bit overdone to me..

they have no pigs or butchers overseas ??

just send them a couple of bottles of BBQ sauce and some rub...??

Pigs are not commonly butchered in most parts of India, and are not usually raised for market. The pigs that are butchered are a great way to get trichinella, tapeworms etc. Some pork is processed safely/hygienically into cured items like sausage, salami, bacon, or bologna. Ribs are not available. Plus my sister can try for the next 10 years and still not be able to turn out 'que like mine, which is why I am my niece and nephew's fav uncle (actually their only uncle)

I found some insulated bags at Target in the freezer section - basically a mylar bag for $2 each. I don't have a vacuum sealer, so I will have to make do with plastic wrap, newspaper, and the freezer bags. I bought 2 big freezer bags, since I imagine one inside the other will work better than putting the food in 1 bag by itself. Would bubble wrap be good for wrapping since the little air bubbles might be a good insulator?

I like spares, but the kids started out eating babybacks when I first started smoking ribs. I was going to do some BB's since they have more meat on them. Plan is to send about 3 racks.

Unread 10-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #12
kydsid
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have been a lurker here for years, but registered and waited to post to help you out with this. Bolded parts are my emphasis on the important stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
It's a good idea to call customs. Whatever you decide, always declare the food when asked! It'll go over much better if you're straightforward with it. Cooked meat generally isn't much of an issue. It's raw meat & vegetables that typically get you in trouble.
Bolded part is the best advice in the thread. Cooked meat does present less of a risk for the introduction of certain animal diseases but it is generally NOT less restricted than uncooked meat when imported person to person instead of commercially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Thanks for the info!. I ordered some freezer cube sheets (made out of water not the blue stuff) which may be less complicated than dry ice. Dry ice needs to be declared to the airline etc but supposedly can be taken even in a carryon if it is less than 5lbs. Plan is to freeze, wrap in the ice cube sheets, wrap with newspaper, put in the insulated bag and then bury it in clothes for insulation.

Folks on the other hand have strict instructions to throw it all away if there are any funky smells.

US customs can be quite finicky, other countries' customs are not necessarily, so I'l hope for the best.

While most people see this as a Customs issue it is actually an Agriculture issue. Food products are banned to prevent the spread of foreign animal diseases and pests. The unregulated movement of these products causes largo monetary loss. The US Agriculture Industry, USDA and US Consumers spend around $200 Billion dollars extra annually because of foreign pests and diseases.

A portion of USDA, the Animal Plant Health Inspection Service is actually the agency you want to talk too. They may have the import requirements for your product. You should also call the local Houston Consulate for your destination to discuss if their are options as the possibility exists.

Here are the available foreign regulations.
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulation...regs/products/

Unfortunately you will notice that all pork products are prohibited. This means seizure and penalties for the carrier, the recipient and even you depending on the contractual agreement with the carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatpig View Post
You have to check with the customs agency from the country that you are visiting, there may be bans on importing meat. I had my lunch confiscated by US customs once coming from Canada. It was a roast beef sandwich and an orange. Crazy as it sounds, throw reason out the window.

It is far from crazy. As mentioned it is a billion dollar problem once foreign diseases and pests enter the US. A ounce of prevention IS worth 300 lbs of cure in this case. Pest outbreaks have a tremendous impact on our Agriculture economy.

Google: Light Brown Apple Moth, Fruit Fly & Foot and Mouth Disease.

In your specific cases the meat presents a risk of the introduction of Mad Cow disease (cooking does not destroy the disease) and the orange the most serious risk. The US has commercial citrus on a large scale. Canada however does not. In all likelihood it was a US orange, but since Canada imports 95% of their oranges it could have been from anywhere and had fruit flies or other diseases.

Believe it or not outbreaks of fruit fly have been traced back to a single piece of fruit illegally imported into the country.

I'd love to continue on my soapbox for longer but time to go to work.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #13
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

@kydsid: thanks for the detailed references - I'll keep them handy since there will be more trips to India in the future.

But I'm a little confused - don't those rules apply to fresh, uncooked, or unprocessed items? I understand the prohibition on flowers, fruit etc., but cooked foods should be ok?

And, not trying to be a smarta$$, but if the powers that be can trace a fruit fly outbreak to a single piece of smuggled fruit, how come they didn't find it in the first place?

Now back on topic: if asked my brother-in-law will definitely fess up... 3 racks packed in many layers of insulating materials will not be very discrete once his suitcase is opened.

Unread 10-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #14
jimithing78
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
But I'm a little confused - don't those rules apply to fresh, uncooked, or unprocessed items? I understand the prohibition on flowers, fruit etc., but cooked foods should be ok?
Depends on the country. I've never been to India but as someone else mentioned Australia and New Zealand don't screw around with meats. I brought some beef jerky as a snack for the plane ride and they made me throw out the left over portion at customs. All their confiscated food items go into an incinerator, they don't want to even chance throwing them in a landfill. I'd try googling the rules for India.

Unread 10-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
kydsid
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
@kydsid: thanks for the detailed references - I'll keep them handy since there will be more trips to India in the future.

Cooked how? That is the problem. Cooking can alleviate SOME of the problems but it has to be to certain temperature levels. How does a country verify that you cooked your personally prepared shipment to a sufficient temperature? They can't, hence why personal shipments are usually not less restricted.

In the commercial world fresh and cooked meats are verified by the exporting countries Dept of Agriculture. You have work plans, safetly plans etc. USDA might be able to certify your shipment for export. But the costs, as all the export programs are paid user fee services are not something most people are willing to pay.

Quote:

And, not trying to be a smarta$$, but if the powers that be can trace a fruit fly outbreak to a single piece of smuggled fruit, how come they didn't find it in the first place?

How many passengers arrive on airplanes, cars and trains into the US every day? Is it possible to search everyone? You have to understand the biggest problem with food smuggling or more correctly importing food personally is the public is not be aware it is illegal. Everyone knows they can't bring a kilo of cocaine into the country. Most people aren't aware that the wrong peice of meat, introduced at the right place and time could mean the end of the US pork and beef industry.

As far as traceback is concerned, especially that specific case it was because it was an airline pilot that gave themselves up.

Quote:
Now back on topic: if asked my brother-in-law will definitely fess up... 3 racks packed in many layers of insulating materials will not be very discrete once his suitcase is opened.

Listen I would be remiss if I didn't remind you that that is smuggling. In the US the lowest penalty for smuggling food products is a $300 spot penalty. That is an already mitigated spot penalty. Under the law (7CFR 330 and 9CFR 92-112) the penalties begin at $10,000. Smuggling is also commonly dealt with by refusing entry, if possible, into the country for the indvidual and/or cancellation of the persons visa and/or ability to obtain a visa in the future.

Now on a more personal level. I understand and can appreciate what you are trying to do. It is a great jesture to want to do this. I am not saying you are SOL. You need to contact the Indian consulate and/or Indian Department of Agriculture. You can also contact your local USDA APHIS VS office, in the previous posted link. I can't answer for sure if you can or cannot do what you are doing. Just take away the fact that if you can't there is a very good reason why you shouldn't. And know that when your family does come back to the US they will enjoy your ribs all the more. :tu
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote