The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
BuckW
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Thermometer deal?

I saw this thermometer on eBay. It looks very similar to the thermoworks TW8060. Has anyone tried it or what do ya'll think? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-K-J-...ht_10585wt_890
BuckW is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Steve W
Knows what a fatty is.

The price is certainly right, but it looks like a cheap Chinese knockoff based on the engrish printing at the bottom of the unit and the cheapo box. The included probes look pretty chunky too. They're not giving you the thin probes that come with Thermoworks and you'll be putting some big holes into your meat.

Thermoworks is based close to me in Utah, USA, and their warranty and service is great.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Teleking
is one Smokin' Farker

“based in Hong Kong, is a professional supplier of all kinds of excellent laboratory products

I think that says it all.
Teleking is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
BuckW
Found some matches.

I figured it was a knock off or made at the same factory as thermoworks, I was more concerned about cheaper components & warranty. I was also planning on buying new thermocouples from auber instruments. It's hard to find any decent dual input thermometers and I plan on buying a Rocks BBQ Stoker so I was trying to keep cost down until I upgrade. Thanks for the input.
BuckW is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Ya I found that on eBay after I pulled the trigger on a TW8060, got K type probes from auber I also want to get a stoker later too lol. But hell for 40 bucks I don't thinks it a bad deal but ya they might have use different guts inside so I went with TW. So TW products are made and assembled in the USA, or are they just assembled here you know what I reaching for?

Unread 10-14-2011, 03:21 AM   #6
Steve W
Knows what a fatty is.

Here's what it says on their site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermoworks
While a few of our products are manufactured here, many are made for us by partner factories in Europe, Asia and the USA.
You could call them up and find out for sure.

In any case, quality depends on the parts and the labor. Apple iPads are made in the same country as your worst crappy fake knockoff phones, after all.

Anyways, TW will back up their warranty, and that's what's important.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermocouple, thermometer, Thermoworks