BBQ Restaurants in Asheville, NC

jalon

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What are some good ones? We're heading up to Black Mountain (going to Ridgecrest for a marriage retreat) and will be staying in Asheville on Thursday night...could use some good cue. Any suggestions? Much appreciated Brothers.

Jalon

edit: I see I didn't scroll down far enough, thanks for putting me in the right discussion ;)

Last edited:
I liked Green River Barbecue in Saluda which is a short drive southwest of Asheville. Might be a bit out of the way if you are there for only a day, but then, it might not be.

There are NUMEROUS Q-Joints around the Asheville area so I'd try these before thinking about going all the way to Saluda (I'm not crazy about Green River Barbecue anyway!). A couple places recently closed that were pretty good (Fiddlin' Pig and The Barbecue Inn), but there are still a bunch of places to try if you'd like.
Kinda depends on what you are looking for in barbecue, but if you are in the mood for some GOOD chopped pork "Western NC Style" (a.k.a "Lexington style") then I'd recommend "Moe's Original Bar-B-Cue" on Sweeten Creek Road (near the Biltmore Village). If you are looking for some good ribs then I'd recommend "12 Bones Smokehouse" down on Riverside Drive (right along the river) - this is where Obama ate on his campaign tour.
A few other Q-Joints in the area include: Ruby's Italian Smokehouse (don't let the name fool you - it is pretty good barbecue!) on Beverly Road (area is known as "Beverly Hills"); "Little Pig BBQ" on McDowell Street; at the NC State Farmer's Market there is a restaurant called "The Moose" and they actually have decent Q; and then last on my list is "Luella's Bar-B-Que" on Merrimon Avenue (I'd save this one for last as I'm not a big fan).

Good luck and let us know where you ended up and how you liked what you got!!!

Good bbq. That might even make a marriage retreat tolerable.

Bob, you're going to get me in a lot of farkin trouble...:wink:

I'm particular to ribs, so I guess I'll try that 12 Bones Smokehouse Tom mentioned. We're heading up on Thursday, have some time off Saturday afternoon, and head out of there Sunday afternoon. So I think we'll try to squeeze in a couple of places.

Thanks gents!!

Jalon

Sorry for the late return to this thread, couldn't get back to it.

Went to 12 Bones Smokehouse in Arden, NC (south side of Asheville). This is actually a second restaurant, there's one up in Asheville open M-F 11-4, till 6 for takeout. The one in Arden is Tu-Sat, same hours. Line was out the door and around the corner, always a good sign.

Fabulous. Marvelous. It was farkin' good.

I was told to try the blueberry-chipotle ribs. They were outstanding, the sauce had just a hint of both for a great balance. Someone took the time to make sure that it was exactly what it needed to be, not overpowering in anyway, shape or form. Meat on the ribs were a little tough, but it is a restaurant serving a ton of folks, not backyard. My wife tried the peach ribs, had a nice peach glaze, but not as good as the ones I had. If I had to judge the blueberry-chipotle ribs, I'd say 8 on appearance, 8 on tenderness, and 9 on taste.

They let you have two sides, and more meat can be one of them (yes...!!) I had the brisket, and it was really good. Held together good, but came apart with just a slight tug, good beefy flavor, crust was a little crunchy...8, 9, and 9 (I'm a sucker for brisket).

My wife had some pulled pork as a side, and it was good too. I didn't get much of it, she tried to stab me with a fork, but it was pretty good too. Didn't get enough to judge, but I'd definitely serve it in my house.

Other sides were Mac & Cheese (it was ok), corn pudding (very good), and I can't stand collard greens - but these were good (don't tell my Mother-in-Law...). Oh, and RC Cola products - with decent prices to boot, this is one of the better joints I've been to in a long time.

Thanks to those who recommended it, a few at the retreat mentioned it too. Can't wait to hit it up again next time I go back!! :thumb:

Jalon

Glad to hear you were pleased with my recommendation!!! Too bad you didn't have time to try some "Lexington Style" Q. Maybe next time.

Back