MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
leinielover
Found some matches.

Default Mini WSM- Maiden Voyage...

I recently acquired a mint NIB Smokey Joe (ER 1996) on that auction site for a song... no idea why I needed it, other than it was new, with a wood handle... for $12. So, I got it here, ordered $60 worth of stuff from Amazon, and WALLLLAAAH... New mini-WSM! I got the same comment from my neighbor that others on here have expressed.

N'bor: "Where can you buy one of those?"
Me: "Ummmm... I made it"
N'bor: "No, seriously. Where did you get it."

Then you show them the butcher job to the bottom of the pot and the cat's out of the bag.

Some pictures... First shows my version of the "ash mod". Trying out an electric stove tray/ dish. Seems to work well keeping the vent clear.

Little bird...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20111009-00020.jpg (76.4 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20111009-00021.jpg (85.6 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20111009-00029.jpg (80.4 KB, 335 views)

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
mnmikew
On the road to being a farker

I have a like new smokey Joe in my garage thats been collecting dust for years. Would LOVE to make one of these. Is that the infamous "tamale pot" I've been hearing about you used?
mnmikew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice! My MUDS had its maiden voyage yesterday. I used an SS dog dish with holes drilled (thanks Boshizzle!) for my ash mod thingee. I've got the same pot you have - I traced and cut the holes from the steamer insert (thanks JM Seltzer!) out on the bottom. I used the steamer insert the same way you did.

It worked really well - I was concerned about being able to get hot temps (300-350), but it wasn't a problem at all. The heat is obviously closet to the meat than on a UDS, so flipping the meat partway through the cook is a good idea - don't ask me how I know this. Still got a couple pretty damn good chuckies though - just a little barky on the bottom.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
leinielover
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmikew View Post
Is that the infamous "tamale pot" I've been hearing about you used?
Yes, this is the 32Qt Vasconia off of Amazon. None of the brick and mortars around here have had then IMUSA in stock this summer.

gtr, I think I may try a ceramic or clay dish on the bottom. There is definitely some sizzle going on down there.

I spaced the stainless hardware 1" and 6 1/2" from the top and used the insert as a pattern for the pizza shaped cutouts in the bottom

Sorry all for the poor cell phone photos... not worthy.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by leinielover View Post
gtr, I think I may try a ceramic or clay dish on the bottom. There is definitely some sizzle going on down there.

...Sorry all for the poor cell phone photos... not worthy.
Yup. I hear ya on the dish. I'm gonna try that too.

If you wanna see not worthy - I'm too farkin lazy to paint my tamale pot, or even get the sticker chit off the side - I can show you not worthy!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?

Old 10-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
mnmikew

Is there a step by step thread somewhere on here how to make one?
mnmikew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
gtr

Here's one.
I would also strongly suggest looking up Boshizzle's thread as well as one by JM Seltzer - there are many others that I can't remember right now. There's a google search bar at the bottom of the page that allows you to search within this site - search MUDS, tamale pot, Smokey Joe mod, etc.

It's a cool little cooker & everybody should have one!
WTFWGALD?

Old 10-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
Boshizzle

Great looking MUDS, nice job! That chikcen looks good too.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
jerneedog

That's great looking. A few weekends ago, I scored a Smokey Joe for $5 and have been
wanting to make a mini WSM. Hope to get it going soon?

Old 10-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Here is the best deal I have found on the tamale pot, especially if you use the site-to-store shipping.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/TAMALE-SEAFOOD-STMR/13370045
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
DIRTYBIRDZ
Knows what a fatty is.

Looks great!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
leinielover
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgaj1 View Post
Here is the best deal I have found on the tamale pot, especially if you use the site-to-store shipping.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/TAMALE-SEAFOOD-STMR/13370045

You know... I hope you have better luck than I did. I did the WalMart online ordering and then I got an email that said NLA. After looking around here I found that most had a very good time with the Vasconia pot, and honestly, it seems as if it was made to mate to the Smokey Joe. And ordering from Amazon gave me the option of including the thermos in the same order (Leinielover's use of the Vasconia pot is on an "as is" basis without warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including without limitation warranties of title, noninfringement, or implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose)

As far as the sticker residue... I used HOT soapy water and a vegetable brush to get off the paper and WD40 to remove the glue, followed by another HOT soapy bath prior to paint. I used John Deere Hi-Gloss black. I have used this paint on a number of John Deere restorations, including painting air cooled engine blocks so I figured it was up to the test.

The chicken was good... very most and tender.