UDS Tri Tip (x2) Shedded & Sliced + bonus

Joe Steel

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Sunday was spent in recovery after a huge bike ride on Saturday (my other passion).

No better way to recover than baby sit the UDS :thumb: filled with goodness.

I had it in my mind I wanted to make shredded beef tacos. When I went to the market, the chuck roast I had intended to use was a bit more expensive than what I wanted to spend. However, the tri tip was on sale.

I like using meats that are on sale for my backyard experiments. That way if it bombs, I feel less bummed. So, I stood in front of the meat section trying to google "shredded tri-tip" and "tri-tip tacos" and "UDS tri tip"...
I gotta say, there was not an overwhelming supply of information to lead me to believe this was a good choice of meat for shredding. In fact, I found a few threads that indicated the opposite (along with a couple that said it was great).

I said what the heck, and grabbed two. One for shredding and one for slicing -- sort of insurance that something would turn out.

Once home, rubbed both with equal parts cumin, ground coriander, and crushed red pepper. Later I added a bit of garlic powder. Wrapped and set in frig overnight. In the morning, they went on the UDS.
IMG_1191.jpg

I began whipping up some simple salsa -- random volume of roma tomato, jalapeno pepper, onion, celantro, a little olive oil, lemon juice (no lime handy), salt & pepper.
IMG_1189.jpg

After 3 hrs at 225-250, the internal temp was about 150 -- so I pulled them both and put them in foil.

One simply rested in the foil, the other went back on the grill. The resting tri tip was sliced and came out very tender and moist.
IMG_1197.jpg

After about another 3 hrs (6 hrs total) the probe slipped into the foiled tri tip like "buttah" -- I've learned to use this method to check for doneness rather than an internal temp -- thanks to this site.
IMG_1206.jpg

After allowing it to rest, it shredded beautifully.
IMG_1209.jpg

The bonus was for the missus. When she heard "taco" she said "make your fish tacos!" -- so I threw something on for her. A little bit of halibut went on the smoker as the tri tip was finishing up.
IMG_1202.jpg

I added some mango to a portion of the already made salsa. Then whipped up the white sauce (mayo, sour cream, celantro, and chili powder).
IMG_1200.jpg

Couple of plated pics:
IMG_1213.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

Thank you to this site for a place to share experiences and learn.
Joe

MMM Beef & fish Tacos, Surf and turf UDS style !!!!:thumb:

So how did the shredded Tri-tip taste? Was it still moist?

The tacos look great! I have to admit that I was skeptical when you mentioned pulled beef from tri-tip, but it looks good! I've always used chuck for pulled beef and cooked tri-tip med rare.

Interesting idea.....this shredded tri tip. We do tacos often, usually with left over whatever, but I'd gotta try this one day. Thanks!

haven't done a tri-tip yet. let alone a puled one.

looks good. I love mango in salsa.

So how did the shredded Tri-tip taste? Was it still moist?

The shredded tri-tip was moist and yummy! Thanks for the comments guys. Would love to hear feedback from others who try it.

That looks great. I love to see different variations of tacos.

Back