The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
btcg
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Question for Myron Mixon's other students

If you are not a JOS student, feel free to just click off this thread.

I attended the JOS class about a year ago, and faithfully took notes. I exchanged these notes with my fellow classmates, so I know I got it right.

BUT, in making many of these recipes initially last year, I felt that they were too salty.

I've since scaled the salt back.... alot.

I'm in Baltimore for the weekend, and found the book "Smoking with Myron Mixon." I've been reading it, and looking at the comments about it on Amazon... and guess what: people are saying the recipes in the book.... are way too salty.

Now, we students know that the recipes are correct. We watched him make these same recipes right before our eyes.

I'm a bit perplexed.

Thoughts?

[FONT=Courier New][I]Proud Graduate of:[/I][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Jack's Old South BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Johnny Trigg & Rod Gray BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Paul Kirk BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
btcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Just remember, you are cooking for judges, not for yourself. Your food has to be powerful to make an impression as the judges only take 1 bite.

I find that I go heavy on the salt with brisket and do pretty well. Everything is relative so if the salt doesn't overpower the meat I would say go for it and see what happens. You might be surprised.
FEC100 / GMG Jim Bowie (Dealer)/ Sams Club Gasser / King Cooker Hot Tub
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Shiz-Nit
is One Chatty Farker

Yea I was thinking the same thing myself; the beef rub in the book is way too salty I think also. But he never gave us any suggestions on rubs just to order his or use your favorite rub from your local grocery store.
I have since the class took the things I liked about his methods and blended them with things that I did before the class and personally like the combination of the two methods better.

Unread 09-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

If I had the money and time I would enroll in a Ph.D. program and for my dissertation I would use the subject of the dynamics of variations of flavors and their impact on BBQ judging as the subject.

For example, what is the impact of BBQ flavors on a judge's taste buds after judging 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 pieces of chicken? How does that impact the perception of flavor of ribs? How about after 3 different ribs? Then, add in the impact of the pork and all of the different flavors a judge's taste buds are subjected to up to that point. Is there a change in what a person considers delicious after tasting all of those different flavor profiles? I'd love to do an exhaustive study like that.

I think there is. For example, I tried some of Myron Mixon's BBQ rub after I had judged a comp. I thought it was pretty good so I bought some of it. The next day I opened it up to get another taste and I had a very different experience than I did right after the comp. Yes, it was salty but it was also very spicy and smokey. It seems that MM's talk about peach wood smoke is a bit over blown since the rub has smoke flavor in it.

To be fair, a lot of top competitors use smoke flavor in their rubs and sauces, but it was much more noticeable 24 hours after I judged 4 categories than right after.
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

A quick thought although I know nothing about MMs cooking methods.

Do you use his cooking method exactly or make seemingly innocent changes like foiling whereas he doesn't foil?

I notice that foil holds the salt in with my brisket rub, whereas much of the salt drips off when there is no foiling. The non foil results are not too salty.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
A quick thought although I know nothing about MMs cooking methods.

Do you use his cooking method exactly or make seemingly innocent changes like foiling whereas he doesn't foil?

I notice that foil holds the salt in with my brisket rub, whereas the salt drips off when there is no foiling. The non foil results are not too salty.
good question... I'd also be curious to know if Mixon in his classes (and his book, if it's same process/recipes) specifically is speaking from his competition protocol first based on small sampling, and would his methods/recipes be tweaked if cooking for himself, family or friends or even a catering job...

Unread 09-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

Bill, I have not noticed a big difference in the meat I have cooked using the recipes we got at school and the meat from the school but I fixed his Whistle Burger Recipe out of the book and it was awful salty and I have cut the salt back over 50% on this recipe. Once I done this everyone told me it was the best burger they had ever eaten.
wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Crimson
Knows what a fatty is.

Just in case also would depend on the salt used table compared to kosher which would at least be 50% less. just an idea
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Not having attended, I was thinking myself about the type of salt, kosher vs. sea salt vs. iodized table salt. That, and I'm fairly certain he gets his meats directly from the M&M which is fresh and never packed in any solution. If you're getting meat packed in a solution (most are), there's probably some extra sodium in that solution, so that'd be added to the total.

Unread 09-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
Theresa B
Full Fledged Farker

One of the first things we did was but his book ( I will be attending one of his classes) I made all the rubs listed in the book. Everyone of them was too salty and too peppery. Same with his sauces. Then I ordered pretty much the same items from JOS. All were very different.
Theresa B is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
Cook
is One Chatty Farker

As was already said...if you're taking his class, you're most likely learning how to cook for competitions. Comp food, generally speaking, isn't "eating" food. In a competition you not only want your ribs to stand out in a couple of bites, but you also have to remember that the judges taste buds have already been worn out by a myriad of spices & heat levels. When you're eating a meal your last bite is usually not as tasty as your first bite...your taste buds become somewhat sensitized to what it is you're eating.

Just my take.

By the way...I haven't taken Myron's class & don't intend to. I also didn't click off this thread. LOL

Unread 09-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
Mo-Dave
Babbling Farker

I confess I have never used any of these rubs or recipes but have noticed that I have lately been using way to much salt at times. The solution for me has been to use Kosher coarse salt in almost everything. This has greatly helped me reduce the salt and my intake also seems to help with my rubs not caking up as bad.

As I have had several hobby's in my life time the one true constant I have noticed when buying instructional books on these subjects, that no matter how maliciously I follow the instructions my projects rarely seem to come out with the desired results as the author suggest they will. I admit I may have been at fault for may of these mishaps but I have come to believe that some books leave a minor but pertinent bit of information out of a chapter or two, just enough to not give out all there secrets.

As I have often heard many cooks say, they don't mind giving out all there secrets because no matter how hard another cook may try they will not likely produce the same product and this may be the case. Just something to keep in mind when trying to duplicate someones masterpiece. Can anyone honestly say they have duplicated another cook receipt to perfection, I can not but many times, although different I like what I have come up with better than what I shrived to achieve in the first place. Wow me thinks I have rambled a bit much so sorry.
Dave
Bbq toolbox, formerly Chargrill smoker
My wife has gas, its a Brinkman.
Mo-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #13
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
good question... I'd also be curious to know if Mixon in his classes (and his book, if it's same process/recipes) specifically is speaking from his competition protocol first based on small sampling, and would his methods/recipes be tweaked if cooking for himself, family or friends or even a catering job...

I'll PM you the answer, as even though Myron was verbitim on 90% of the book vs. his class, that's his call to do this, and even though he didn't ask us to be confidential, all of us (his students) revere him, and protect him, as much as we can.

[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Johnny Trigg & Rod Gray BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]

Unread 09-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #14
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiz-Nit View Post
Yea I was thinking the same thing myself; the beef rub in the book is way too salty I think also. But he never gave us any suggestions on rubs just to order his or use your favorite rub from your local grocery store.
I have since the class took the things I liked about his methods and blended them with things that I did before the class and personally like the combination of the two methods better.
Jason,

Here's a thought: although he (Micheal, anyways) dumped all of that salt in, he never used the entire sauce/injection/50-50. So much of the salt may have simply collected in the bottom of the pan/mixing cup/etc, and it just got thrown away.

We saw him dump the ingredients in. Unless, of course, they boxes weren't full. None of us checked for that.

If you remember, I told you, after the class was over:

"He may have taught us all we know about his cooking, but I doubt that he taught us all HE knows."

Anywhoo, like you probably did, my first order of business was to recreate all of his recipes when I got home. And I simply scaled back the salt.

As for cooking, I don't cook like he does, anyways.

I do low & slow. Prefer it. You have a Backwoods, you probably do, too.

Unread 09-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #15
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelterrapin View Post
Bill, I have not noticed a big difference in the meat I have cooked using the recipes we got at school and the meat from the school but I fixed his Whistle Burger Recipe out of the book and it was awful salty and I have cut the salt back over 50% on this recipe. Once I done this everyone told me it was the best burger they had ever eaten.
Paul,

Worth the cost of the book alone, was Myron's buttermilk fried chicken recipe. Gotta find me a butcher to get the "quality" lard he talks about in the book.

Had me 2 pieces of that chicken after the "meet & greet" that friday night. It was amazing!

Anyway could you do Paul Kirk's class with me? It's only $250.00, and you could drive and stay with me. We'd have fun!