The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-10-2011, 11:22 PM   #31
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillinFool View Post
Again I disagree. I've been doing the 2 hour method on untreated or unenhanced ribs for a lot longer than I've been brining them. I need to have King from here chime in on a couple things. One he was skeptical of the 2 hour method big time. Two, he's had the 2 hour ribs. Three, he was there for the taste test.

I keep hearing there more than one way of doing things here but nobody seems to think 2 hours at 300 is one of them. I thought the Brethren were more open minded. All you gotta do is try it...
i've done the anti-bobby flay throwdown hot & fast kettle bb's @375 for about 2 hours although i didn't brine them. i've also done ribs @ 275 & a quick sear @ the end for just a char....

it just depends what you like & what works for your guests...

i've been in every kind of competition from the battle of the bands to car shows to surf contests.. once you slap the "title" of judge on someone they tend to forget everything else but prestige objectivity.

Unread 10-11-2011, 05:57 AM   #32
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillinFool View Post
Again I disagree. I've been doing the 2 hour method on untreated or unenhanced ribs for a lot longer than I've been brining them. I need to have King from here chime in on a couple things. One he was skeptical of the 2 hour method big time. Two, he's had the 2 hour ribs. Three, he was there for the taste test.

I keep hearing there more than one way of doing things here but nobody seems to think 2 hours at 300 is one of them. I thought the Brethren were more open minded. All you gotta do is try it...
You've got a persuasive argument, I do agree on that. To be perfectly honest, you're way more experienced than I will ever be and I am looking at the two processes more from a chemical and molecular perspective. The breakdown of proteins from the unbrined ribs should take longer than 2 hours even at 300. They'll be cooked, but simply can't be as tender and juicy as the brined ribs that have had a process of protein degradation occuring overnight in the brine.

I sure can't argue with your position however. Doing it, and tasting it is the real proof. Mind you, please undertand I am VERY open minded to new ways of doing things. As an Australian, I'm learning so much from being on this forum. When I do BBQ for my friends and family, trust me... I'm breaking all the rules of what is considered BBQ in Australia.

I've got no problem at all in testing your recipe and theory, but for the immediate future, I do want to get better at true "low and slow" BBQ before I start experimenting as you have done.

Cheers!

Bill
Just remember... the standard has gone up. You Americans are getting good at LAMB!

IMBAS Certified MOINK BALLER (NOSKOS RULE)
"Bullet Bill" WSM
"Blue Lou" Performer
Too many other bits of BBQ Gear to count!

SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #33
troytime
Full Fledged Farker

i've done the 2-3 hour cook at 300+ on my kettle.

the ribs were technically "done" and they were very good.
I've done them this way for years....until i got a smoker and tried low and slow methods and REALLY understood what 'probe tender' meant

i don't know if my wife would let me try the old method again, and I don't know if i'd argue with her :)
troytime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #34
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Think of this way. Charlie Vergos makes a mint off ribs that he cooks for 1 hour. I've replicated his method and they are indeed done, but don't have the smoke that I like. They aren't fall off the bone, but I don't want that.

All I can say is that my experiments have produced a lot of converts and I've yet to have someone pick the unbrined rib. Next time I have an afternoon to myself, I'll drop it down to 200 and do them side by side just to test that aspect of it.
GrillinFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #35
King
Full Fledged Farker

With all due respect to my buddy, GrillinFool, the mad scientist...everybody in this thread has an open mind, otherwise I don't think they would be part of the discussion.

But I have to man up and admit that brined ribs are better than unbrined. It's my opinion and I'm judging by taste and tenderness. I'm not saying these are the best ribs on earth and I'm not saying these are better than low and slow (my preferred method), but under the constraints of the comparison, brine wins...no question.

Did the ribs taste amazing: Yes
Will I try this method?: Yes
Is it easy to do in a pinch for guests?: Yes
Is it better than my ribs?: ????

It's not for everybody, but I recommend at least giving it a try.

22.5" Weber Smoky Mountain Smoker
22.5" Weber OTG
Weber Spirit E-310
Brinkman offset smoker
Brinkman ECB smoker (modified)
UDS (under construction)
King is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #36
Killersmoke
Got Wood.

What I find interesting also is the rub. Pumpkin spice? Sounds to me like a crazy but intriguing experience. Did you like it? And did you get enough spice from the black pepper and white pepper? Would you add some cayenne next time?
Killersmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #37
Cokyjara
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I use brine on my comp ribs and it has increased my scores. It allows me to get the sweetness down in the meat so that our final glaze doesn't have to be very sweet and the flavors are layered.

I have always brined my pork loins when I cut them and pan fry. Yesterday I had half brined and had pulled down another loin because some freinds were going to stop by and I wanted enough fried pork sandwiches for all. I had brined a once frozen enhanced Tyson loin and also used a fresh UN-frozen enhanced loin I picked up from the store yesterday. The first loin brined for 24 hours.

HUGE, HUGE difference. The pork loin brined...cut with a fork and deep flavor.
The fresh un-brined loin...decent taste and not even half of the moisture. I would never cook pork chops or loins anyway without brining first. You can bring flavor to the meat if you want or just moisture. It's very versitile.

I find the same thing in my ribs, chicken and butts that sit in brine as soon as meat inspection is over. These have won GC & RC in some smaller 20-35 team comps. However i do know many win without brining...or at least that's what they say??????
Cokyjara is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 10-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #38
King
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killersmoke View Post
What I find interesting also is the rub. Pumpkin spice? Sounds to me like a crazy but intriguing experience. Did you like it? And did you get enough spice from the black pepper and white pepper? Would you add some cayenne next time?

Dude! Doctor it up however you like...I used pumpkin spice rub so far on ribs, pork butt, and chops...It's good! Don't ask why, it just works.

22.5" Weber Smoky Mountain Smoker
22.5" Weber OTG
Weber Spirit E-310
Brinkman offset smoker
Brinkman ECB smoker (modified)
UDS (under construction)
King is offline   Reply With Quote