Char griller and minion method

chadelliot29

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I have a CG with SFB that has all the standard mods. Last weekend I did a pork butt and baby back ribs. They both turned out pretty good. I used the minion method using kingsford briquetes. I filled my basket with unlit charcoal and then added a chimney worth of lit coals. With in no time at all the coals in ther basket were lit. Ive read guys getting 7-10 hours of burn time using this method. I figured if I got 4-6 I would be happy but was needed to add more after about 2 hours.

When I used to use my COS (cheap offset smoker) I tried as you did and could not get good burns with the Minion Method. One of the biggest issues is the thin metal and air leaks just do not hold in enough heat to allow for a slow cook. The Minion Method was designed for a vertical smoker like a WSM or UDS where the heat rises and cooks the meat more directly. Others may have more tips to help but I found that using the offset just required adding more fuel and babysitting. Don't get me wrong, I still love the idea of tending a cooker at times but it will be tough for you to get really long cooks on a single load of fuel. Keep at it though and definitely look into building a UDS.

Try adding only about 1/2 a chimney of lit coal to the cooker side of the basket. That in theory will force the coals to burn toward the intake vents.

When I used to use my COS (cheap offset smoker) I tried as you did and could not get good burns with the Minion Method. One of the biggest issues is the thin metal and air leaks just do not hold in enough heat to allow for a slow cook. The Minion Method was designed for a vertical smoker like a WSM or UDS where the heat rises and cooks the meat more directly. Others may have more tips to help but I found that using the offset just required adding more fuel and babysitting. Don't get me wrong, I still love the idea of tending a cooker at times but it will be tough for you to get really long cooks on a single load of fuel. Keep at it though and definitely look into building a UDS.

exactly why I build my UDS and not buying SFB for my chargriller.

I get about 4 or 5 hours per load on my CG. I use a weed burner to fire it up.
I can get over 24 hours on my UDS. The point is we are talking about two different animals. I use my CG for ribs and moink balls. My UDS pumps out great briskets and pork butts. The CG kind of holds a place in my heart as that is what started me on the path BBQ smoking.

4-5 hours was about it for me as well doing it the way J'ville Grill suggested, I always left the front corner on the main chamber side empty for the lit. You could try taking the time and stacking your briquettes instead of just dumping them in, yeh it'll be a pain but you will get more briqs in the basket and a more uniform burn.

The Minion Method was designed for a vertical smoker like a WSM or UDS where the heat rises and cooks the meat more directly. Others may have more tips to help but I found that using the offset just required adding more fuel and babysitting. Don't get me wrong, I still love the idea of tending a cooker at times but it will be tough for you to get really long cooks on a single load of fuel. Keep at it though and definitely look into building a UDS.

Colonel's right^^^, and you're not gonna get that sweet blue stickburnin' smoke with the vents shut back, anyway.

I don't have any issue with starting a cook with charcoal, but the best way to roll IMHO on a stickburner is to burn sticks. Use firebox pre-heated small splits fed one or two at a time to a small hot and well-ventilated fire. You might have to cook over 250*, but that's ok. If you want to, transfer the meat to a UDS or wsm, or even an oven after you get the good stickburnin' smoke on the meat. I believe the effort of burning sticks is well-worth it, at least for the first part of the cook where the smoke is important.

I use the minion method with the CG. It's sealed up about as good as I can get it. I use a coffee can, both ends removed, and place it in the basket opposite the intake. Then I fill the basket with lump, leaving the coffee can empty. When the chimney is completely lit I pour the coals in the coffee can and use a pair of pliers to remove it. Then I slide the basket completely to the left, towards the pit. Works like a champ. Of course more lit coals or sticks have to be added down the road if it's a long cook. The Ique-110 takes care of the temp swings nicely too. Cheers!!!

Back