MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:51 AM   #1
Kevin Garceau
On the road to being a farker

Default Anyone try apple cider in pork butt instead of juice?

I have injected apple juice plenty of times.

I figured this time I would give some apple cider a shot since its available all over the place and I love a cup of hot apple cider in the mornings.

So on this 28 degree morning I put a brisket and butt on at 5am.....now enjoying a cup of apple cider before heading out bow hunting.

Just wondering on others experiences......probably would have made more sense to ask before I done it.
Kevin Garceau is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yep, it's a common injection - but usually I use 50/50 A.J. and A.C.Vinegar...if I inject.

Hope you're sucessful in your hunt today.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Sorry, I haven't tried cider in a butt. Actually I haven't tried AJ either. I typically eat an apple if I want to taste an apple.

For me, apples have no place near my barbecue. I know this doesn't even remotely answer your question.

Good luck with your future butts...and hope the bow hunting went well.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Typically use AJ, but that's because cider isn't available year round. If it was it would be cider all the time.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #5
tmehlhorn
Full Fledged Farker

I like and would prefer cider with my meats. I dont inject but when i use the juices for other thing bbq i prefer cider.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
Wampus

I don't usually inject at all, but apple cider does sound good. I think apple flavor compliments pork quite well. I guess that's why AJ and ACV are so popular on the Q scene for mops, injections, etc.

Hope the hunt goes well. Yesterday was opening day here as well. I gots me the fever.....

Old 10-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
Kevin Garceau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
Sorry, I haven't tried cider in a butt. Actually I haven't tried AJ either. I typically eat an apple if I want to taste an apple.

For me, apples have no place near my barbecue. I know this doesn't even remotely answer your question.

Good luck with your future butts...and hope the bow hunting went well.
So you dont put any rubs, or other flavor profiles with any of your Q?

Hunt was uneventful. I was just sitting behind my house, all the neighbors are up cutting wood this weekend and figured this morning wouldnt see much. But I could smell the WSM going great.

Still running a little warm at grate temp even in the 25 degree weather....but not too bad. Sitting at 277 right now.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #8
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

I've always used apple cider and have always enjoyed it as well...
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

apple cider sure does sound good. maybe ill try that next weekend. gonna make 2 butts.

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM
DirtyDirty00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

..... hmmmmm.... hard apple cider???? Might be interesting...

Old 10-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #11
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

technically and legally there is no difference between apple juice and apple cider. Traditionally cider is made from younger apples so it is more tart. Now hard cider versus juice is a whole other question.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
ianjoe
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheart View Post
technically and legally there is no difference between apple juice and apple cider. Traditionally cider is made from younger apples so it is more tart. Now hard cider versus juice is a whole other question.
True, also fresh cider is usually not pasteurized. This gives it that slightly fermented taste. It usually isn't filtered as fine as apple juice either. These things give it the cider taste we know. Great now I'm on my way to go get cider. Love apple cider.
I think it would be great in an injection.
ianjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #13
Kevin Garceau

I wondered really what the difference was. Im not a huge apple juice fan. Too sweet. But love cider.....had a big ol fresh cup of hot cider this morning in my bow stand. Hit the spot real well.

Brisket it small, only the flat I was given - so its coming up to temp nicely. Im not even bothering probing the butt yet as it was 7lber and figure a good 9 hours before I really even need to think about it much.

I will post pics and a full taste report of the cider butt.......now hard cider injection will be next.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #14
syndicate559
Full Fledged Farker

I use cider in lieu of AJ most of the time. I just buy it at the grocery store, though, and honestly I don't think there's much of a difference. Maybe a little less sweet, but I mix 50/50 with ACV then add some seasonings to my injection. Works great!

Old 10-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #15
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

I use it 2/3 apple cider vinegar and 1/3 apple juice with rub stirred into the injection. I also add some hot sauce to the mix. (My favorite is Franks Durkee Red Hot)

The flavor added is stupendous!
tamadrummer is offline   Reply With Quote