The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Wesman61
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default "Smoking" Tri Tip.

Hey Everybody. Long time, no post. Lately I've craved real smoke flavor. I usually use a Traeger but pellet smoking just doesn't taste the same and doesn't give the meat as much smoke flavor. I've found that cooking tri tip indirectly with a mix of charcoal and mesquite gives more and better flavor in 3 hours than my Traeger does in 8 or 10. I've only done this twice but the comments from friends and family are very positive. Not just the comments but the fact that tri tip cooked this way doesn't go to waste. If kept under maybe 180 degrees it stays juicy and slices like brisket. Also the texture is similar to brisket if sliced across the grain. I like to use thin tri tip and remove the fat cap for the best penetration. (I'm from the CA Central Coast so I'm well aware of the argument about leaving the fat cap on).

Being up here in the Northwest mesquite is only available at stores in small bags. I get the chunks from Wallyworld for $5.00 a bag which is good for 4 or 5 cooks. Obviously it isn't practical to make actual brisket this way since it won't get tender in that amount of time. It's just a nice way to have something in the ballpark of Texas style smoked beef without having to drive 1000 miles.

Last edited by Wesman61; 09-30-2011 at 07:01 PM..
Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Zin
is one Smokin' Farker

When it comes to bbq Texas is #1 by a pretty good margin. Mesquite wood is best for beef imo. I am lucky enough to have a 200 acre ranch full of mesquite wood.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Wesman61
is one Smokin' Farker

I really don't use much else. I got introduced to mesquite smoked brisket at my Family reunion near Leakey, TX in 02. Been a fan ever since.

Unread 09-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
Haltech
Full Fledged Farker

I use an FEC 100 and you would swear my tri tip was cooked over charcoal. I have a much larger cooking chamber than you do, however a good tip for you would be as follows:

1) Take a can that can hold chunks of wood. Place a few lit briquettes in there and toss it inside your cooking chamber. You will find that missing flavor will immediately come back.

2) Marinate your tri-tip for at least 12 hours before cooking.

3) Let is rest for a min of 30 mins before slicing.

I use only apple for beef, but ive had good results with pecan as well. I find both 100% hickory or mesquite is over powering. If you prefer to have that taste, i would back off the amount you use and mix a fruit wood either 50/50 or 75% fruit.
[COLOR=Lime]GREEN[/COLOR] [COLOR=SeaGreen][B]Top Gear Formula Model[/B][/COLOR] Therm0Pen
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Magenta"]Rubs Of Choice - [COLOR="Black"][B]Jacked UP BBQ & Plowboys Yardbird[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
Wesman61
is one Smokin' Farker

I have access to cheap Apple and cherry woods. I use those on my Santa Maria and love them. I agree that mesquite is overpowering when used for long smokes. What I've found is that using a tender cut of meat and cooking indirect on a charcoal grill gives me a reasonable subsitute for Texas style smoked meat when done right. It makes the mesquite go a long way.

Unread 10-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
cbuck1
Got Wood.

I'm partial to a mixture of oak and apple for tri-tip.

Homme Fatal, Pitmaster
cbuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Wetsmoke
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Mesquite

I see that you have a Cash n' Carry on Sundance Road. The one I use in Bellevue WA has mesquite charcoal in a 25# bag or so--- You might take a look if you have a chance --
Wetsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman61 View Post
Hey Everybody. Long time, no post. Lately I've craved real smoke flavor. I usually use a Traeger but pellet smoking just doesn't taste the same and doesn't give the meat as much smoke flavor. I've found that cooking tri tip indirectly with a mix of charcoal and mesquite gives more and better flavor in 3 hours than my Traeger does in 8 or 10. I've only done this twice but the comments from friends and family are very positive. Not just the comments but the fact that tri tip cooked this way doesn't go to waste. If kept under maybe 180 degrees it stays juicy and slices like brisket. Also the texture is similar to brisket if sliced across the grain. I like to use thin tri tip and remove the fat cap for the best penetration. (I'm from the CA Central Coast so I'm well aware of the argument about leaving the fat cap on).

Being up here in the Northwest mesquite is only available at stores in small bags. I get the chunks from Wallyworld for $5.00 a bag which is good for 4 or 5 cooks. Obviously it isn't practical to make actual brisket this way since it won't get tender in that amount of time. It's just a nice way to have something in the ballpark of Texas style smoked beef without having to drive 1000 miles.
Do you have a Smart and Final near you? They have 40 pound bags of mesquite pretty cheap.
tortaboy is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuck1 View Post
I'm partial to a mixture of oak and apple for tri-tip.
agreed, although I don't go low and slow with tri-tip. No need to. I can get plenty of smoke on it in 45 min to an hour.

Indirect on the Performer until it reaches about 120, then reverse sear until it reaches 135. Pull and rest tented for at least 15 minutes or you'll have a blood bath. Hopefully finish at 140.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
CockedandLocked
Knows what a fatty is.

In west Texas it grows so rampant they doze it in piles and burn it, cant keep the stuff from over taking the pastures and fields
CockedandLocked is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #11
SteevieG
On the road to being a farker

I'm using Pecan on my Tri-Tip today. In fact, I use Pecan on most everything...

18.5" WSM
22.5 WSM
And a nice propane grill that gets very little use anymore...
SteevieG is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like to smoke tri-tip, not for as long as you do, I smoke it until it hits 130F internal, then pull, rest and slice. I go with oak, hickory or cherry for beef. It is definitely one of my favorites as well. I tend to leave a thin fat cap on if it is there. And I learned from Santa Maria guys as well, and like how they cook tri-tip as well.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote