The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
dschc78
Got Wood.

Default smoking a deer hind quarter

Hunting season coming up and my cousin wants me to smoke a deer hind quarter (be around 20 pounds). I've never smoked deer before wondering if anyone has advice or a marinade I could try?
dschc78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

I would imagine that it would be very lean and I am not sure how well a low and slow approach would do. I would think this should be treated like lamb and be hot and fast.

I am no expert nor have a done this before so take my advice with a grain of salt.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
Abelman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskew82 View Post
I would imagine that it would be very lean and I am not sure how well a low and slow approach would do. I would think this should be treated like lamb and be hot and fast.

I am no expert nor have a done this before so take my advice with a grain of salt.
^^^^^ This

Old 09-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskew82 View Post

You are correct. It will be very dry with smoking low and slow.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
daverev
Knows what a fatty is.

Did a couple earlier this month. Thermometer on the smoker was crap I found out on this cook and it turned out I was cooking around 325. Rubbed them good with a brown sugar based rub, put into pans and foil covered when the bark had carmalized. 3 hours on the rack and 3 more hours in the pan, turned out really moist and was probably better than the pulled pork done at the same time.
daverev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
Hozman
Take a breath!

I did one for a guy last year. I wrapped it in cheese cloth that had soaked in garlic butter. Cooked it at 250. Sliced liked butter.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
Bpig
Knows what a fatty is.

I wonder what barding it with bacon before smoking would do. It sure makes for killer wild turkey.
Bpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

you will need to add some fat like with the bacon for low and slow, if not by the time it gets finished in the middle the outsides will be like jerky... I learned this the hard way, another alternative is a high and fast smoke around 350 until done and it won't dry out.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #9
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschc78 View Post
Hunting season coming up and my cousin wants me to smoke a deer hind quarter (be around 20 pounds). I've never smoked deer before wondering if anyone has advice or a marinade I could try?

I have taken the hams and roasts, rubbed them, wrapped in plastic overnight. put them on the smoker very low not to exceed 250 for two hours.

take them out of the smoker, re-season, and wrap them tightly in pig skin (tie with butchers string if it won't stay tight) and roast at about 350. The fat from the pig skin keeps the roast moist while it reduces the insulates hotter cooking temperature.

I have a frind who pierces the roasts with a large knitting needle then inserts strips if skin to replicate internal fat. Seems like too much work for me.

Just watch your internal temperature.

Pig skin is available at your local slaughter house, butcher shop. Italian meat market, and some spanish / mexican markets.

Venison by nature is a dry meat because of the lack of marbling. The meat from a doe has more marbling than the buck.
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
smokehunter
On the road to being a farker

cook them all the time during the winter...Get a knive and jab it all over. insert garlic cloves in slits... inject with whatever you like, I like a balsamic/orange juice/honey/brow sugar reduction.. rub with tony chaceries or whatever you like. drape bacon over.... smoke like you would anything else, the longer the better within reason... slices like butter. will be a hit..

Old 09-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #11
sbsg2005
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Wrap inject with the injection of your choice wrap it in a bacon weave and put it on at 250 till its done. Worked good for me. Nice and juicy plenty tender. If it is from a young deer it will come out pretty good but an older deer will be drier and tougher.
sbsg2005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
TEAM PIG IRON
Got Wood.

lisen try this!!!! Soak for 3 hrs plus in apple juice... dry it off and rub it down with rub you would use on pork then prep pit for 225 wrap in bacon and cook till bacon is done dunk in bbq sauce and return to pit and glaze the meat... then EAT IT UP!!!!! I promise it will be great!
TEAM PIG IRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #13
Ground Pounder
Full Fledged Farker

What IT are you guys cooking to for slicing? 160'ish?

Old 10-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #14
smokeyokie
is one Smokin' Farker

all the above advice is good!!! the main thing is debone the hind quarter and be sure to take the glands out of the meat they are along the bone area!!! If you dont... and I repeat if you dont you will regret it... get one of those babies in your mouth and it will ruin the day!!!!!
[SIZE=3]maverick ET 732[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1 really, I mean really UGLY Drum Smoker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]super fast RED and BLACK thermapens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]_____________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Billy:flame:"Smoke on Brothers and Sisters"[/SIZE]
smokeyokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #15
dschc78
Got Wood.

sounds good, thanks everyone. Now I just have to work on getting the deer .
dschc78 is offline   Reply With Quote