拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
Drew_
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Success/Failure...Imput/Constructive Criticism Welcomed!

Hows it going?

I just got into smoking and while I still have a ton to learn, I am starting to pick up on some of the techniques that I am seeing around the web for BBQ, most notably, injecting. I tried to inject a 9lb pork butt recently and what would happen is that I would inject the butt and it would puff up and retain a lot of the fluid but once it had sat for about 10 minutes, the 13X9 pyrex pan that it was sitting in was about half full of injection fluid that had leaked out already. I am not sure if this is happening because my technique is wrong or because I did not allow a lot of time for the meat to come to room temperature (not sure if that makes a difference or not.) I know that inevitably some fluid is bound to leak out but it seems like it shouldn't be leaking THAT much fluid out.

Secondly, I dont know if you all use this technique but I was hoping for some insight anyways. DISCLAIMER****Before I get called a rookie on this... just know that I was given this by a friend and wanted to try it out and am in no way trying to shamelessly plug a BBQ Book, but here it goes anyways...

....so I was given a book with recipes by myron mixon and had seen a recipe that called for the butt to be kept in one of those aluminum foil pans when it was smoking. I guess the reasoning behind this was to enable easy transport in and out of the smoker and also because there was a part of the recipe that involved letting the butt sit, covered and surrounded in apple juice, in the pan. The problem I had with this was that when I would take the pan out, the fat drippings had been in the pan so there was no bark on the outside because it had just been dissolved. All of the fluid that was unable to evaporate from the pan stayed in there and basically liquified whatever bark i DID have on the underside of my butt. Im not sure if this was because i did not trim enough of the fat cap off or if i should have trimmed it off altogether anyways (im not sure what your alls stance is on that, the recipe called for all of the fat to be trimmed, but i left some on because i didn't think it would hurt the final product that much. I know there is a lot of weight on both sides of that issue of whether or not to leave it on), but regardless I did not have as great of a bark as i would like. Should I ditch the aluminum pan altogether?

My final product had a great smoke ring, tasted great, and had a lot of flavor from the injection, without drowning out the natural flavor of the meat. But I still feel as if I made a misstep here and there. So while I do consider it ultimately a success because it tasted great, I consider it a failure as well because of what happened with the bark.

I know I'm a total newbie to all of this, but what can you expect from a college student, right? I trust the opinions on these forums and figure that you have enough experience to help me on my way to making some good BBQ in the future. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Drew_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
bluenote07
Knows what a fatty is.

In my opinion as long as it tasted good it was a success.
Weber One Touch Gold 22.5"
[COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Super-Fast Thermapen
Maverick ET-732
bluenote07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

It's normal for some of the injection to seep out of a pork shoulder. What I have been doing lately is injecting the pork while it's still in the cryovac packaging. Then, I put the whole thing in a pan or plastic bag and back in the fridge overnight. That helps to keep the injection in contact with the meat even though it may seep out.

However, I find that the real benefit of an injection for pork butt is the salt and sugar that the injection liquid leaves behind rather than the liquid itself. Pork butt is pleny moist even without an injection.

As far as using a pan to cook a butt in, I do it often but I use something to raise the butt up above the bottom of the pan so that it doesn't sit in the juices while cooking. Most times I just make a ring out of foil and put the butt on top. It works pretty good and I don't have any trouble getting lots of bark.

This is a pulled butt I cooked just like that.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I don't think you're along on this one. It's hard to get the tree bark that everyone wants on their butts. I've done about 10 butts and I'm still learning. That's why I looked at this post to see what the Brethren will say.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Could you possibly be over thinking this? Take it slowly and try new things one at a time. Now having said that, If it tasted like you expected , then you did not fail.

A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.

Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
Ground Pounder
Full Fledged Farker

I went the longest time without an injection syringe, so I had to improvise. Here's another trick you could try:

The night before the cook, poke 40-50 holes per side with a kebob skewer. Mix your injection liquid, and put just enough in a ziploc bag to cover the entire butt. Suck all the air out (poor man's vacuum seal), and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, get your smoker up to temp and ready to go. Right before you cook it, pull the butt from the bag. Pat off any excess injection liquid and apply your rub.

Find a way to keep the butt out of the pan - elevate it on a grill rack and put the pan underneath, put it on top of a roll of foil (as mentioned above), or whatever it takes.

Now load it into the smoker COLD. The lower internal temp will mean a slightly longer cooking time, but it'll also help all the injection that seeped into your butt in the overnight soak by giving it some extra time to work it's magic.

Another thing to try if you want a firm, thick bark is to skip the texas crutch when the temp stalls. Don't foil - just let it keep going until it's done.

Good luck!

Old 09-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
Fat Freddy
is one Smokin' Farker

I like the idea of injecting while still in cryovac, but my question to that would be Wouldnt you be putting little bits of the cryovac packaging into the meat??

The reason I asked that is it would make what I do easier. What I do is inject the pork butt then tightly wrap in saran wrap for as long as I need, for comps a few hours for home overnight.
Fat Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I like the idea of injecting while still in cryovac, but my question to that would be Wouldnt you be putting little bits of the cryovac packaging into the meat??
I've never had a problem with it.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #9
Fat Freddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I've never had a problem with it.
Next one I do(next week) I will try it thank you for the idea
Fat Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_ View Post
Hows it going?

I just got into smoking and while I still have a ton to learn, I am starting to pick up on some of the techniques that I am seeing around the web for BBQ, most notably, injecting. I tried to inject a 9lb pork butt recently and what would happen is that I would inject the butt and it would puff up and retain a lot of the fluid but once it had sat for about 10 minutes, the 13X9 pyrex pan that it was sitting in was about half full of injection fluid that had leaked out already. I am not sure if this is happening because my technique is wrong or because I did not allow a lot of time for the meat to come to room temperature (not sure if that makes a difference or not.) I know that inevitably some fluid is bound to leak out but it seems like it shouldn't be leaking THAT much fluid out.

Thanks
You have to understand that there is no one single "cookie cutter" approch to the passion of smoking / BBQ. You have to try and learn what works best for you as there are many variances in differnt cookers, regional temperatures, quality of meat, fuel used, and the flavor of the smoke (type of wood).

As "bluenote07" said, "as long as it tasted good, it was a success."

When I started many years ago, I tried brining and injecting the pork butts / shoulders and although they were very good, I, myself, wasn't satisfied with the end result.

I learned in this early experience to learn to cook the pork without brining or injecting, using a rub only on a lower temperature (225-250). Once you learn what the pork tastes like with rub only, then can you learn to improve by brining or injecting to your desired taste.

Start with the basic and make your changes one item at a time. Keep a log book for temperatures, times, wood used, and all of your changes.
Afterwards make notes on the finished product and if there is any slight factor that you do not like you can always go backwards and try something else. Use this as a road map to guide you to where you think it should be for your best.

After 18 years I am still learning new recipes, tricks, and processes. I still experiment with new rubs, sauces, and even use friends cookers from time to time to devolop ideas or modifications to my own cookers. If I am in the market for a new addition, this also allows me to see what I think is a better cooker for my money.

The learning process never stops unless you choose not to.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 09-30-2011 at 08:50 PM..
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice looking pork, Bo!
[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Weber One-Touch Gold [/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote