Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Default traeger Vs. green moutain pellet grills

Which is better or pros and cons.
Spoony Rub It, Smoke it, enjoy it. 2 Oklahoma Joe 20, Weber 22, Turbo 1100 weber 18.5.
Spoony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
is One Chatty Farker

I've seen both in action, and I personally chose the GMG. The distributor who sold both says he likes the GMG better. The digital controls on the GMG seem very good. Construction seemed about the same. I also like the extra dome space you get from the GMG for adding a 2nd shelf. Just my $.02 though.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Default GMG owner

I purchased a GMG earlier this year after spending a considerable amount of time researching it vs. Traeger and others. I have had zero issues with the machine and temperature adjustments are very convenient. I average about once a week for smoking. Although you can you use for grilling(they claim you can grill a steak on it, but I prefer a grill where I know I can get the really good high heat for the sear) and I have a few times, its strength really is smoking. For me it came down to a few basic things:

Cost: more bang for your buck with GMG at ~half the cost of Traeger and the other brands.

Intangibles: Temp control range is fantastic and it keeps it right on the money. Easy to use for someone who has never owned a smoker before and wanted to plunge in with both feet.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps.
miles999 is offline   Reply With Quote