The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Parking Lot Bread

Last weekend found me attending an event called The NorCal Brethren Bash, wherein a bunch of us who have met on a BBQ forum called The BBQ Brethren gather, meet each other face to face and cook and eat ridiculous amounts of food. One of the interesting things that happen at these events is that folks who might otherwise stick to regular meats and preparations start to experiment, learn new techniques or just get new insights to what other folks are doing. It also happens, that we end up cooking in a parking lot. I decided to make bread, sausage bread (the test run was posted here).

I started a week ahead of time, by making a simple poolish of commercial yeast, 1/2 cup honey pale ale, 1 cup warm water and 1/2 cup AP flour. This was allowed to sit on the counter for a week, lightly covered with plastic wrap to prevent flies and dust. I feed 2 tablespoons of flour to the poolsih every day, along with 1/4 cup chlorine free water. Something about cooking at remote sites when you are not organized or thorough, you forget things. Like yeast, measuring cups, spoons, scales and a pizza stone. No matter, who needs to measure?

So, I arrive and start to prepare the dough, realize I have only 2 cups of one week old poolish and loads of flour, a large bowl and some bottle water and kosher salt. I do have a recipe, but, of course, since I do not have a scale or cups, what does that matter. I start with what I think is 2 cups Bread flour, 1 cup AP flour, 1 bottle of water and the poolish. Mix until stiff, add a little water, little flour, more water, more flour, soon I have been mixing and kneading in the bowl (apparently the only piece of equipment I felt I needed, that and an oven pan). Eventually I end up with what looks like bread dough. Proof for 15 minutes. I retuen to see it is rising, time to really knead. I use a method that requires kneading for 5 minutes, resting for 2, repeat 4 times. Yes, 20 minutes of kneading, in a parking lot, on a folding table. I then let it rise, in a cool spot, covered in an oiled bowl for 4 hours.

Meanwhile, I started the smoking of 1 pound of Italian sausage. I also diced up a couple green and red bell peppers, a medium yellow onions and many cloves of garlic. These all went into the oven pan and got smoked for an hour. Low and slow veggies get so sweet and aromatic. I crumbled the smoked sausage and mixed with the vegetables.

After four hours of the second rise/proof, the bread dough was spread out, a healthy layer of stuffing and cheese were added and the dough was rolled onto a loaf. A stupidly large loaf that was nearly 3 feet long. It was beautiful, excpept it would not fit onto the cooker. Dang! I had to hack my perfect loaf in two.

It was cooked on a Big Green Egg Large, at 350Fish, since I am not really a baker, who cares about perfect temperature, it was somewhere around there for most of the cook. It did take a while, almost an hour until I got a couple of these off the cooker.

It sure looks like bread, it sure smelled like bread. I wonder...the biggest issues I have seen with stuffed breads is that the stuffings add a lot of moisture inside the loaf, which can affect the texture, often giving bread a sense of being undercooked. Not desirable. The particular process, even horribly mangled like I did this time, results in a very elastic texture, a crisp skin and a moist interior that seems to not be affected by the stuffing. I actually love this type of bread, it reminds me of the best San Francisco breads of my youth.

This bread was really a successful cook for me, despite rampant lack of organization, the bread was perfect in texture and had a wonderful flavor.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 11-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
R2Egg2Q
is One Chatty Farker

Wow, I wish I could have paid more attention to what you were doing. I missed a lot.

Great job on the improvising, I had no idea you were missing all those things as I never heard you complain about a thing and the end result was darn tasty!

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Mini BGE, Superior Smokers SS-Two, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Imperial Kamado, UDS (Darth Maul), Thai Charcoal cooker, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; Stoker, Rocket Red Backlit Thermapen, custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
landarc

Thanks John, I have never really understood how complaining helps. I have had ample chances to observe the whining, just never seen it improve things.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

Unread 11-09-2011, 03:56 AM   #4
Phubar

Awesome Onii-Chan!

All fueled by Ecobrasa Coco Briquettes

*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-09-2011, 04:41 AM   #5
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Beautiful stuff! I wish I had a big hunk of that...right...about...NOW!
WSM 18.5
Smokey Joe Silver
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #6
Hugo
Full Fledged Farker

I had to look up Poolish but I understand now, this bread looks great!

When looking up Poolish I noticed that some sites I read recommend letting the mixture rest for about 24h, does resting and feeding it for a week help?

Last edited by Hugo; 11-09-2011 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: P(h)oolish question
Hugo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-09-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
southernsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Outstanding..thanks for the story and pics..
Gone brick n mortar
southernsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-09-2011, 06:34 AM   #8
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

I'm half Poolish. You should have called me!...

Oh...

Never mind.

Nice bread!

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-09-2011, 07:14 AM   #9
bluetang

Dang fine looking sausage bread!

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #10
btcg
Babbling Farker

Good work!

[FONT=Courier New][I]Proud Graduate of:[/I][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Jack's Old South BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Johnny Trigg & Rod Gray BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Paul Kirk BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
btcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
BBQ Bacon
is one Smokin' Farker

Nothing wrong with that. Looks amazing.

Black Thermopen <- the colour of speed!
BBQ Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #12
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks great, and dang, if I had been there, you would have had a cooker big enough to fit the entire loaf in .

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #13
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Midnight Smoker View Post
I had to look up Poolish but I understand now, this bread looks great!

When looking up Poolish I noticed that some sites I read recommend letting the mixture rest for about 24h, does resting and feeding it for a week help?
Because of my being from the bay area, and the particular bread styles that have evolved here, I like a touch more depth in flavor in my poolish, some souring, some more mature gluten and a lot more moisture in the crumb. To that end, allowing the poolish (biga, preferment) to age on the counter sours it a bit. Also, it allows me to build the poolish up so I have 2 cups of mature, sourish glop, which means less commercial yeast and more flavor.

For this one, I also added the ale yeast, from home brew, which adds another layer of both flavor and yeast action. It gives the bread a slight tang, it does not really contribute lift.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

Unread 11-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #14
Old Smoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the explanation
The finished product was reeeeeeeeeeeeally good!

AND....

I did manage to salvage some of the leftovers and was able to enjoy again yesterday for lunch.

Thanks Bob

"Brown it's cookin', Black it's done"....................Dad.
Guess that is why he was truck driver, not a chef......

Last edited by Old Smoke; 11-09-2011 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: slow posting reply and stupid fingers
Old Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #15
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

I had a few pieces of this wonderful bread, VERY tasty indeed

[COLOR=Yellow]
[/COLOR]
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote