THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

caseydog

somebody shut me the fark up.
I cooked some ribs yesterday on my 18.5 inch WSM, using my normal coal load, and my iQue 110. At the end of the cook, I disconnected the iQue, but forgot to cover the intake hole. So, air could still get in.

I went out to clean the WSM today, and reached into grab the bottom rack, and the things was still hot!

I put the lid back on, and the thermometer is reading 200 degrees.

Here is the thing, I started the fire just after noon yesterday, and it is 2:30 today, and I have 200 degrees in my WSM off of the few remaining coals.

Amazing.

CD

Wow, that has to be some sort of record.

picture.php

Weber stuff is pretty amazing for the cost. I just ran a cook from 9pm to 5am in my kettle with my current setup, naturally aspirated (no blower) and when I looked inside, there was still half the charcoal left. I ran that cook at 230F to 250F and there was no reason to expect I could not have gone at least another 4 to 5 hours.

That's something, CD. Did you use Kbb?

Yeah, nothing special.

I usually cut off all air flow after a cook to try and save some unbirned coals, but I forgot to plug the iQue intake.

Not a problem, really. I was just shocked that it was still hot. I literally reached for the bottom grate, and OUCH!

It has now been about 28 hours, and the thermometer is reading 150 degrees.

CD

If my mini UDS can go for 24 hours I expect that a WSM could do that too.:thumb:

*edit*...1 or 2 times I didn't put the lid on tight,when I woke up the next day it was still on.
A little gap is enough for keeping the coals lit.

Last edited:
I've had my UDS go 18+, so a WSM should be able to hold temp a bit longer. It prolly depends on how you pack the coals in and many other factors.

I am considering getting a wsm ($224 at home depot). I have two questions, How long will it smoke on average at 225-250 and two, how big of a pain is cleanup? I currently use a chargriller and a Bandera both alot of work to maintain
consistant temp.

It's damn near 100 degrees in Dallas right now - with an IQ you're burning efficiently and probably had quite a bit of coal left after the cook. It takes a lot more fuel to keep temps at 150 in 60 degree weather than it does to keep 150 in 100 degree weather. If you loaded a whole 20lb bag of coal it's not surprising - if you're loaded with 5lbs of coal, now that's surprising! :becky:

It's damn near 100 degrees in Dallas right now - with an IQ you're burning efficiently and probably had quite a bit of coal left after the cook. It takes a lot more fuel to keep temps at 150 in 60 degree weather than it does to keep 150 in 100 degree weather. If you loaded a whole 20lb bag of coal it's not surprising - if you're loaded with 5lbs of coal, now that's surprising! :becky:

Actually, it was 90 yesterday, and got down to 59 last night. I probably used more than five pounds, but certainly well less than ten.

CD

I am considering getting a wsm ($224 at home depot). I have two questions, How long will it smoke on average at 225-250 and two, how big of a pain is cleanup? I currently use a chargriller and a Bandera both alot of work to maintain
consistant temp.

That is a very good price on a new WSM.

An 18.5-inch WSM will go a LONG time on a full load of fuel, as this thread demonstrates. It is not a big PITA to clean. It takes me about five minutes to clean mine out. And, even before I got the iQue, it was pretty stable on the temperatures. A WSM is a good cooker for long cooks, for sure.

CD

Back