The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #151
kcmike
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG_NorCal View Post
What is the purpose of the oil in the initial step?
Given that the rub's main ingredients are water-soluble (sugar, salt), and a quick 1hr marinade was used, I would think something partially or entirely water-based would be appropriate.
Good question. There are a couple of reasons.
  • The oil helps lubricate the chicken skin, and helps keep the meat from sticking on the grill.
  • It also helps the skin to get crispy under high heat
  • And finally (and most importantly), while salt and sugar are water soluable, many of our other ingredients are actually more fat soluable than water soluable. So the oil helps carry the chile's and other spices' volitile oils to the meat.

The one hour quick marinade time was just a baseline. We've done this very successfully with up to 24 hours of fridge time.

Check out RedHot's post, she went 3 days on her oil marinade and you can actually see the meat's absorbed some of the chile oils in her closeup "bite" shot...

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Lang 84D
22˝" WSM
Oaklahoma Joe 20x40
22˝" Weber Kettle
kcmike is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 10-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #152
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmike View Post
Good question. There are a couple of reasons.
  • The oil helps lubricate the chicken skin, and helps keep the meat from sticking on the grill.
  • It also helps the skin to get crispy under high heat
  • And finally (and most importantly), while salt and sugar are water soluable, many of our other ingredients are actually more fat soluable than water soluable. So the oil helps carry the chile's and other spices' volitile oils to the meat.
The one hour quick marinade time was just a baseline. We've done this very successfully with up to 24 hours of fridge time.

Check out RedHot's post, she went 3 days on her oil marinade and you can actually see the meat's absorbed some of the chile oils in her closeup "bite" shot...
Which made them absolutely awesome by the way...

Oh, and we got our other two pouches today too. Thanks Mike!
deguerre is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #153
Smokin Ribs
Full Fledged Farker

Smile

Got mine today. # 130 of 150 and did the fingertip taste. Man, hot but good. Cant wait to make wings saturday.

Unread 10-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #154
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Here's my initial impression:

OK, here's my initial impression of tasting straight out of the bag by fingertip method. An initial burst of citrus zest and celery were prominent immediately, swiftly followed by the sweet and salt which seemed equal in strength. Then the heat hit and took over but not as strong as I thought it would be. After about 5 seconds I did detect what some may consider a bitterness but it was slight to me and not unpleasent at all (I like bitter I might add). After 10 seconds the after taste was quite good with more of the heat and sweet pronounced than anything else. I can definitely use this as a stand alone - probably better for beef, and as a mix with something like Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction. It will be useful added to recipes as well.

I definitely do not regret getting four pouches.
This is a spot on description of the taste outta the pouch IMHO. My initial thought was celery salt, followed by sweet...and then a building warmth. The heat kinda builds steadily.

Made a rub butter with some Death Dust today (topped my tri-tip dinner with it). Tasting it with the butter...the sweet was way more pronounced. The citrus/celery element seemed lessened...but the wonderful, building, warmth was still there for sure.

Its good stuff. Ordered a couple more today (hopefully they're not all gone)...gotta get some more before they are.

Everything I cook is judged by SIX!!

Daddy and Me BBQ Competition Cooking Team
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 10-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #155
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

I went too hot on the first batch and didn't have time to make 2 batches so my wife could eat them as well. So I marinaded them in secret weapon and dusted with HDD this time. They had amazing flavor and just a little bite. My wife liked them more than the last batch I made her with no spice. These were not as spicey as I would like but was a great experiment. It's fun to try new things and work towards what's optimal for you. I also got bag 150/150 today that I requested muhahaha!

Unread 10-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #156
Smokin Ribs
Full Fledged Farker

WOW! That was some good chit.. I took chicken breast strips, rubbed with evoo and death dust. It was the perfect blend of heat n sweet. Cant wait to try on wings saturday.. Good job Mike and the Oakridge BBQ gang!

Unread 10-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #157
Sillius Sodus
On the road to being a farker

Got my two bags yesterday...and made some awesome tasting wings!

A view of this new stuff that I haven't seen posted yet:

And the reverse side of my two bags:

Yep, you saw that right!

Thanks Mike for the most awesome dust!
Sillius Sodus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
habanero death dust, hot wings, oakridge bbq, smoked, WSM