The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 09-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
parrdist
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default got my feeling hurt

I'm new to competition BBQ and just did my 4th non sanctioned contest. I have been doing pretty well and feeling good about myself, starting to think about jumping in with you big boys and try a KCBS. Yesterday did a a contest and got my Ribs slapped down and I really thought they were right on, but got 6th. The part that hurt was there was only 9 teams on a rainy Saturday. Pork steaks got 3rd and I won $25.00 to take a little of the sting away. Thinking I might not be ready to play with you big boys yet.

Unread 09-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

You can have a bad day at any level. Your ribs just didn't excite the judges yesterday. It's one comp. Don't let it discourage you.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Check out the thread "And God said.....". It happens at every level. There's ups, and
there's downs. Even the ulta-consistent big competitors have bad outings (last time I went against Jack's Old South they were largely middle-of-the-pack or lower in everything).

Sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug.

Unread 09-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Rub
is One Chatty Farker

Same thing happened to me this weekend. My brisket was so perfect I didn't even want to turn it in, prolly my best in the past 6 months. And it's been near the top the last 8 contests, in 3 different states: 3, 1, 4, 2, 6, 3, 4, 4. Knuckle-headed judges panned it this weekend, scoring it 16th out of 31. Gimme a break.
Sponsored by Yoder Smokers, BBQR's Delight, 3 Eyz,
Butcher BBQ, Big Poppa Smokers, Grizzly Coolers, Wicked Q
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Here are my random thoughts, not particularly related to each other:

A blind box isn't personal; the product is what it is, the scores are what they are. We all get wonky scores, and you can't let it get to you unless a particular product scores poorly over time.

It's possible that you might be better off in a KCBS-sanctioned show, with a good percentage of experienced CBJs. At the very least, you get detailed feedback in the form of your raw scores, showing exactly where improvement could be needed.

And even when you improve, improvement isn't linear. All hot streaks end, you'll fix one meat that was giving you fits and just when it's behaving, another one will go south on you!

I guess that's what keeps us coming back week after week.

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
Lake Dogs

> It's possible that you might be better off in a KCBS-sanctioned show, with a good percentage of experienced CBJs. At the very least, you get detailed feedback in the form of your raw scores, showing exactly where improvement could be needed.

I agree. Any sanctioning body with a high percentage of CBJ's is going to have less "willy nilly" scores going on. Unsanctioned, all bets are off. You could very well do much better.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Don't sweat the small stuff...and it's ALL small stuff! Judges are judges...sometimes they like your stuff...sometimes they don't...just have fun! We had 3 first place walks and one 11th place walk and came in 4th overall...go figure!
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
parrdist
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. You guys may be right about doing sanctioned contests for the standards in judging. I still had a lot of fun, and met some great people. Just hurt a little since I had been doing so well. Reading jbrink post maybe it was just people from Franklin County Mo. that were not going to score well yesterday.LOL I'm not thinking of quitting can't wait to get back out there.

Unread 09-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
bbqbull

Downloads: 1

I am no expert at anything, bbq is bbq.
I have turned in stuff that I thought was awesome, got my lunch handed to me.
I have turned in things that I thought were embaresing..sp? and did very well.

Comp's to me are just hanging out with your friends new and old. It is like another backyard practice. View it as another training session. Just have fun.

KC I miss your advice.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #10
Rookie'48

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrdist View Post
...my 4th non sanctioned contest ..... Pork steaks got 3rd.
This is another problem with a comp like that one - the judges are trying to compare not only one entry to another (not happening in KCBS ) they're comparing different types of meat . Does the term "apples & oranges" come to mind? In a sanctioned comp it's ribs vs ribs, butts vs butts, etc - more of a level playing field.

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #11
Fat Freddy
Take a breath!

As others have said I wouldnt worry too much if one of your scores were not where you expected. I had one non sanctioned contest where I scored 15th out of 16, and I honestly thought it was one of my best pork turn ins ever. So at the next contest I did, I used the exact same recipe and scored10th out of 66. You just never know what a judge is looking for.
Fat Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Geez, don't let a bad finish stop you. We all take our lumps occassionally. You have to just suck it up, congratulate the winners and get em next time! Jump in to a KCBS comp.

Extreme BBQ Trailer, Backwoods Competitor, Backwoods Party, WSM, Traegar 124, Yoder YS640
Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, Grizzly Coolers, The Ingredients Store (FAB), Yoder Smokers, Big Poppa Smokers (Elite Team), BBQ Bobís Havín a BBQ and Galvinells Meats
Dan - 3eyzbbq is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #13
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Keep on going - push through this rough patch and be grateful for everything that you enjoy about competing - and don't worry about competing in KCBS - I've only ever competed in KCBS and I've never considered myself a 'big boy'. I just love cooking and this is one more way that I get to do that . . .

Plus, hey, somebody has to fill in the bottom rungs so that the great teams can win!
:)
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #14
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QansasjayhawQ View Post
- and don't worry about competing in KCBS - I've only ever competed in KCBS and I've never considered myself a 'big boy'. I just love cooking and this is one more way that I get to do that . . .

Plus, hey, somebody has to fill in the bottom rungs so that the great teams can win!
:)
^^^^^ This.

I've competed in some other organizations but I started with the "big boys" and don't plan on digressing. I like to cook and compete and this checks both those boxes and I can walk or be DAL on any given cook day!
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #15
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

I could try to put a positive spin on the St. Peters Quetopia contest this past weekend but I won't. The weather was marginal at best and with the exception of chicken, the judges thought we sucked. I didn't, but that's not really important. We will be at it again this coming weekend and the 2 following.

Our very first contest was in 2005, a 75 team KCBS event IN Kansas City. Dive in, the water's fine.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote