The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
canis latrans
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default couple newbie questions...

getting smoke ring from an electric: how to?

hottest part of a Smokette, lower or upper rack?

Thanks!
canis latrans is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
QueNivorous
On the road to being a farker

The smoke ring is a bit of a misnomer. As I understand it it's more of a chemical reaction that comes from nitric acid buildup in the outer layers of the meat formed when nitrogen dioxide from the wood smoke mixes with water in the meat. So, unless you have some wood chunks I doubt you will have much of a smoke ring in an electric smoker. Possibly, some from grease drippings.

As for your second question I can't answer that one.

Jambo J-3, Jambo Backyard, Backwoods Party, Backwoods Chubby, Custom Offset, WSM, and a Primo Oval XL.
QueNivorous is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

You can get a so called "smoke ring" in an oven.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Mo-Dave
Babbling Farker

If you want to impress your friends, provided they understand the status of a smoke ring and you are not proud, then you can rub tender quick on a brisket and let is sit for 10 to 15 minutes then rinse it well. It will have a bit of a gray color raw but will be fine when cooked and the tender quick will not affect the taste so season it as usual. I have done this with brisket as an experiment I learned here and it worked fine but I have not tried it on other meats. I know this is not what you are looking for but if you feel you just got to have the ring this will work, personally I don't care if I have one or not just good smoked meat. I am sure you know if you want the smoky taste you will have to use some form of smoking wood in the electric smoker, be it chips or chunks.
Dave
Bbq toolbox, formerly Chargrill smoker
My wife has gas, its a Brinkman.
Mo-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

The Smokette doesn't get hot enough for the wood to burn and produce enough nitrogen dioxide to create a smoke ring. But, put a charcoal briquette or two in the wood box and you'll get one. The charcoal is already partially burned and will produce the nitrates needed.

It's been a long time since I've used my Smokette and I don't remember the hottest part. Buy a can of cheap biscuits and put some on each shelf and let them cook. The ones in the hotter part brown faster.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend

Last edited by Ron_L; 09-17-2011 at 02:29 PM..
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
canis latrans
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

appreciate the replies!

Thanks!
canis latrans is offline   Reply With Quote